1.    #1  
    Hi all,

This review is frank, honest and fair. It openly acknowledges the fact that the Veer isn't for everyone.

However, I think the following paragraph sums up why I think HP was right to market the Veer! In my opinion it is the updated webOS version of the Centro, which was extremely popular. I don't expect that HP will make a fortune on the phone, however they are hoping that as users become more comfortable with a smartphone they will eventually upgrade to a webOS phone with more bells & whistles.

This is why HP’s Veer 4G is so important. Roughly the size of a credit card, the Veer 4G harkens back to the time were a cellular phone’s most desired attribute was a compact size. As a portable device, the Veer is a clear indication that device manufacturers haven’t completely forgotten that not all phones need to be the size of a small moon.

I am supplying the link to the entire article:

Tiny or not, HP's Veer 4G is everything some want in a phone | ZDNet

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Very well said. Part of me thinks that if the Veer was released after the Pre3, people here would be a little more kind to it.
    j_benj it looks like you and I are the only ones actively pushing/looking forward to this Veer release.
    I've got to say that the whole article is exactly how I feel. But I still feel as though people focus way to much on the screen size. Its functional! Blackberry has made a lot of money off of similar sizes! noone complains about the functionality of those. Oh well..
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    "Since when did it make sense to create portable devices that barely fit in your pocket? Or devices that barely last thorough the day on a single charge? Or devices that try so hard to be the perfect portable multimedia experience that they fail to accomplish the most basic things that a portable telephone should be able to do? (Hint: it’s not watch HD videos.)"

"This is why HP’s Veer 4G is so important. Roughly the size of a credit card, the Veer 4G harkens back to the time were a cellular phone’s most desired attribute was a compact size. As a portable device, the Veer is a clear indication that device manufacturers haven’t completely forgotten that not all phones need to be the size of a small moon."

"But I’m willing to give HP the benefit of the doubt, not because I believe the Veer is flawless - it isn’t - but because the success of the device may very well show that there are plenty of people who want all the features of smartphone without the ballooning sizes that go with them."

Some quotes from the review.
    NNJ
    Nice find Jay! You always know how to find the best posts/reviews
    Very good review! (good points to!)
    Palm IIIx >>> Palm V >>> Palm Vx >>> Tungsten T5 >>> webOS 2.1 emulator

Pre|central Peacekeepers
    SO easy anyone can do it! HP webOS First App Tutorial

If i have helped you; please click the Thanks button.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony81586 View Post
    j_benj it looks like you and I are the only ones actively pushing/looking forward to this Veer release.
    Hi all,

Just b/c I want to buy the Pre3, doesn't mean that I'm looking forward to the release of the Veer. I think it is much like the Centro that I have used for about 2 1/2 years...it is easy to use, easy to carry on your person, such as in a pocket, easy on your wallet and it expands on webOS from the Pre2.....

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony81586 View Post
    yup, doesn't look like many of the PC folks are going to be getting one. ah well, we'll have our own Veer forum all to ourselves
    Quote Originally Posted by j_benj View Post
    yup, doesn't look like many of the PC folks are going to be getting one. ah well, we'll have our own Veer forum all to ourselves
    Haha. Sunday can't come fast enough. I've got my fingers crossed, either a corporate AT&T store will hook up the early upgrade fee or I'm hoping the off contract price isn't through the roof.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Haha. Sunday can't come fast enough. I've got my fingers crossed, either a corporate AT&T store will hook up the early upgrade fee or I'm hoping the off contract price isn't through the roof.
    Tell me about it!

I'm going to try to go up the 1-year contract road and see how much they want to charge me for the phone. I'm thinking the off-contract price will likely be between $399-$449.. i read somewhere that AT&T likes to charge $150 more for a device on a 1 year contract than a 2-year.. so if the phone is $99, it'd be $249 for 1 year.. so logically maybe another $150 for off-contract?
    Hmmm, only time will tell. But I'm seriously keeping my fingers crossed.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by j_benj View Post
    Tell me about it!

I'm going to try to go up the 1-year contract road and see how much they want to charge me for the phone. I'm thinking the off-contract price will likely be between $399-$449.. i read somewhere that AT&T likes to charge $150 more for a device on a 1 year contract than a 2-year.. so if the phone is $99, it'd be $249 for 1 year.. so logically maybe another $150 for off-contract?
    Hi,

I can't say I blame you about the 1 year contract...I am thinking of doing the same thing with the Pre3. Tech changes so rapidly and the fact that I got shut out of webOS in the first place by having a 2 year contract on my Centro.

I believe that Roger's in Canada is offering 3 year deals on some smartphones, look what happened in 2 years with my Centro, they dropped PalmOS for webOS...Three years is asinine & even 2 years is too long!

(I fear that we may see the 3 year contract here if AT&T merges with T-Mobile...that and the fact rates will go up, since Canada had a parallel issue of a behemoth gobbling up a smaller provider).

Some providers are phasing out the one year contract....if that is the case, I heard on this site, that Best Buy has a program where you can trade a smartphone in after a year and they in effect buy it back after a set discount is taken...

Take care,
    Jay
    I feel like importing one to replace the Pre+ I use for work. It seems to be a perfect fit for what I do with my existing work phone (although it definitely isn't a replacement for the personal one!).
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendikins View Post
    I feel like importing one to replace the Pre+ I use for work. It seems to be a perfect fit for what I do with my existing work phone (although it definitely isn't a replacement for the personal one!).
    Hi, then I say GO FOR IT!

Take care,

Jay