Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    And in true Palm (HP?) style, they were clueless. I mentioned the deal to the kid behind the counter, he looks on his computer and.. NOTHING! So he tells me to hang on, he's going to call his manager. He gets on the phone and asks if there's a deal on the new HP phone (he has to repeat HP to his boss 3 times) then hangs up. The boss is "looking in to it". Finally after about 10 minutes a kid comes out with a SKU on a scrap of paper and says "the white one is free on contract". So I'm like GREAT! I'll go ahead and pre-order... and me being the stickler for detail I say, "so if I pre-order I can pick the phone up on Sunday the 15th?" to which I receive two of the blankest stares in recorded history. The manager guy says "is the 15th the release date?".. I say yes.. he says "oh well that's just the street date, I don't know if we'll get any by then and my computer won't let me check inventory on the item, but you can pre-order and we'll let you know when it comes in.".

Hold the phone, Jack!

So I peruse the conversation further and ask what his computer says the release date is.. he says it doesn't tell him when the phone is coming out. Then he adds the icing on the cake, "the HP guy was here about a month ago, he said he'd keep us posted on the release date and he hasn't called so I would check that date again to make sure you have it right."

I put my credit card back in my wallet and backed away.

*** HP?? Can you get it straight?? The AT&T store across the parking lot told me they WILL have it in stock on the 15th. And why can Best Buy tell me an xbox game I pre-ordered will be in on a specific date, but not a frigging cell phone? Why is buying a phone such a hardship? LOL
    This makes me sad. Best Buy was truly the Veer's last hope.
    It all depends on who you talk to? It's hard to base your whole perception on a company based on one conversation with one person who just happens to be a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of other employees may have.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Sometimes it makes me so mad that people who are completely clueless about cellphone tech get to work selling mobile handsets. I'd kill for the chance to work selling smartphones and tablets. Anyway, are you upgrading or getting a new line?
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    This makes me sad. Best Buy was truly the Veer's last hope.
    It makes me sad that you believe that.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Good to know you're reading this, HardBeatz. I think this kind of thing bears mentioning to the higher ups. If enthusiastic buyers are meeting with this kind of trouble buying your new product, perhaps some process changes can be made to ensure better communication going forward?
    Are you upgrading to the Veer?
    Quote Originally Posted by j_benj View Post
    And in true Palm (HP?) style, they were clueless. I mentioned the deal to the kid behind the counter, he looks on his computer and.. NOTHING! So he tells me to hang on, he's going to call his manager. He gets on the phone and asks if there's a deal on the new HP phone (he has to repeat HP to his boss 3 times) then hangs up. The boss is "looking in to it". Finally after about 10 minutes a kid comes out with a SKU on a scrap of paper and says "the white one is free on contract". So I'm like GREAT! I'll go ahead and pre-order... and me being the stickler for detail I say, "so if I pre-order I can pick the phone up on Sunday the 15th?" to which I receive two of the blankest stares in recorded history. The manager guy says "is the 15th the release date?".. I say yes.. he says "oh well that's just the street date, I don't know if we'll get any by then and my computer won't let me check inventory on the item, but you can pre-order and we'll let you know when it comes in.".

Hold the phone, Jack!

So I peruse the conversation further and ask what his computer says the release date is.. he says it doesn't tell him when the phone is coming out. Then he adds the icing on the cake, "the HP guy was here about a month ago, he said he'd keep us posted on the release date and he hasn't called so I would check that date again to make sure you have it right."

I put my credit card back in my wallet and backed away.

*** HP?? Can you get it straight?? The AT&T store across the parking lot told me they WILL have it in stock on the 15th. And why can Best Buy tell me an xbox game I pre-ordered will be in on a specific date, but not a frigging cell phone? Why is buying a phone such a hardship? LOL
    Well, two things here. The local store workers only have what information corporate gives them. The Veer isn't even up online yet so they might nopt have a solid date yet. And even then the stores still have to wait for their own shipments to arrive.

The second thing is that HP likely isn't involved in this, it's more likely that their distributor is actually AT&T since these are Veers specifically built for AT&T.
    The only announcement I've seen on this is through blogs, but I've never seen anything from BBY or HP saying these articles are correct. Has anyone actually confirmed BBY is truly taking pre-orders, or is this just a rumor that was picked up as news? This story has been posted in a lot of blogs, but citation always points back here.

HBZ.. can you confirm pre-orders are actually being taken?
    If it makes people feel better, I talked to a best buy rep in my town who was aware of the Veer deal and was also aware that its getting released "real soon" although he didn't know the exact date. That didn't bother me though. About the only dates they probably remember are iphone and major android handset dates where they may get an actual line. The Veer is just another phone to most of these reps. He could have been full of it too.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    The only announcement I've seen on this is through blogs, but I've never seen anything from BBY or HP saying these articles are correct. Has anyone actually confirmed BBY is truly taking pre-orders, or is this just a rumor that was picked up as news? This story has been posted in a lot of blogs, but citation always points back here.

HBZ.. can you confirm pre-orders are actually being taken?
    Yes they would take my preorder but they couldn't tell me when I'd actually get my phone
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    It makes me sad that you believe that.
    Morale is pretty low around here. We just want you guys to succeed, but for every bit of good news, there's two bits of bad. The Sprint Pre- owners especially (myself included) are pretty beaten down at this point. Need new phones, help us!
    Has there been any commercials or any marketing done by HP for the phones or touchpad?

Hmmm, same ol same ol
    I've found that the mobile phone sales people at Best Buy are far ahead of others in terms of industry knowledge, new trends, and emerging technology.

If those commissioned sales executives aren't fully briefed and already calling their best clients to tip them off that they Veer is coming... well then it isn't coming. If they don't know about it 4 days ahead of time and already have a Veer tattoo to show off to customers on Sunday... it's going to be an epic FAIL.

Come on Palm, wake up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I've found that the mobile phone sales people at Best Buy are far ahead of others in terms of industry knowledge, new trends, and emerging technology.

If those commissioned sales executives aren't fully briefed and already calling their best clients to tip them off that they Veer is coming... well then it isn't coming. If they don't know about it 4 days ahead of time and already have a Veer tattoo to show off to customers on Sunday... it's going to be an epic FAIL.

Come on Palm, wake up!
    OP didn't mention if he was talking to the mobile guys or just the regular sales people.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    OP didn't mention if he was talking to the mobile guys or just the regular sales people.
    I was in the mobile department talking to people with Best Buy mobile shirts on. The store was Princeton, New Jersey.

I spoke to a kid who had heard of the Veer, and his boss who hadn't. Neither were aware of the release date being this Sunday and the "special" on the white Veer was something the manager actually had to research. The information didn't come up in the computer at the mobile sales desk.
    this is nuts...but has there even been a source for the original info?
    Its a soft launch, not much publicity. This is probably because HP is saving their firepower to plan the publicity around the TouchPad. I am guessing this will come in early June probably near the time of the gigantic HP Discover conference so HP can debut this while all the press, customers, and vendors are milling around their arena. BestBuy and others will then know all about the TouchPad and the Veer and the new webOS platform with all its features.
    In the meantime, the Veer rollout is probably gradual I am guessing with some [flagship?] stores knowing about it at launch and others gradually hearing about it.
    I will go to the store to look at it but would like to see what the TouchPad Veer combo promotions are before I buy.
    I expect we will also hear about the two devices and the Pre3 also shortly at the WSJ allthings D conf as Apotheker is speaking (end of May, early June).
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    good point, the guys in the appliance department are even a better source. In fact, the home theater installers can be a good source, too.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    good point, the guys in the appliance department are even a better source. In fact, the home theater installers can be a good source, too.
    I'm going to try my best not to take offense that you guys would actually think I'm dumb enough to go into a Best Buy store and ask a random employee about the release date of a mobile phone.

As I said a few posts up, I was speaking to people IN the mobile section, standing between the counter and the AT&T display.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast