Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    You have never lost or broken a charger or cable?
    I have a lot of back up options thought out and cheap spares/adapters for most things. I have never lost or broken one to the point that I need to go to a store to pay full retail for a replacement.
    At this point, I have so much of the Apple ecosystem - between my ipods, iphone, and ipad -- that I would really hate to have all that switch to a microUSB.

I have a docking station for my ipods, for music, a clock radio, a couple car chargers, and interchangeable cords.

It would be awful if all those became obsolete.

(That kind of hard-to-leave ecosystem of course, is exactly what HP hopes to create too, BTW)
    My magnetic powercord adapter for my macbook pro attaches fine up or down.
    More than once I caught the cord, and rather than yanking wires out, it just disconnects - no harm.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    At this point, I have so much of the Apple ecosystem - between my ipods, iphone, and ipad -- that I would really hate to have all that switch to a microUSB.

I have a docking station for my ipods, for music, a clock radio, a couple car chargers, and interchangeable cords.

It would be awful if all those became obsolete.

(That kind of hard-to-leave ecosystem of course, is exactly what HP hopes to create too, BTW)
    And that's why I think they will keep the 30 pin dock and the sync cables, and just put in a microUSB port for charging alone. I really don't want to deal with an adapter for the 30 pin port though. Unless maybe if it can be forced to accommodate any microUSB cable for both charging and syncing. However I haven't seen anything that implies microUSB for Apple any time soon. When is that EU requirement supposed to go into effect?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    I have a lot of back up options thought out and cheap spares/adapters for most things. I have never lost or broken one to the point that I need to go to a store to pay full retail for a replacement.
    And who got the money for your spares and adapters? That's why these manufacturers had all these proprietary ports, cash. You paid them one way or another for replacements. Unless your spares are perhaps microUSB. Then one can be used on many. Which is why I keep saying the standard is a better option for consumers.

I remember I had to try looking for Samsung adapters once. Big PITA. I just ended up hoping I never lost the originals. HTC also. It's so much easier with microUSB. Only reason I can deal with Apple, once again is their parts are easy to find and I got several really cheap ones(legit licensed cables) on clearance.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    it veered off sprint...thats for sure.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Proprietary useless attachments are what she's panning and I agree with her about that.
    Proprietary--yes. Useless--No.
    Considering the attachments are for ports that should have been built in, I call that a pain and a waste. But it's a matter of opinion, true.

what did cnet say about the moto-razr and blackberry perl that didn't have standard ports for a headset?

hint: that wasn't mentioned in the cnet reviews of those "extra small" phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    what did cnet say about the moto-razr and blackberry perl that didn't have standard ports for a headset?
    I don't know. We'd have to look back to 2006 and 2003, respectively.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I don't know. We'd have to look back to 2006 and 2003, respectively.
    I did, and that's why I mentioned it.
    I did, and that's why I mentioned it.
    Do you really think it's relevant, though? Don't you think standards and expectations have changed since then?
    I mentioned my experience with my Macbook Pro and its charging cable for a reason.
    Just because microusb has become somewhat standard, doesn't mean it's the best implementation.

We're trying to cut the cords.
    Cords get tangled. And if they don't pop off easy when you get hung up, they yank your phone off what ever it's sitting on.

I don't think the veer's is quite the right implementation either.
    But I do like the idea of cords popping off easy and not so solidly connected to the device that something goes bad if something gets tangled up in the cord.

I think something like the macbook pro's magnetic adapter would be perfect for this.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Do you really think it's relevant, though? Don't you think standards and expectations have changed since then?
    I think its exactly the same. Both were positioned as radically small, and the eliminated the stereo jack.

if anything, it was a worse move back then because bluetooth headsets weren't as usable as they are now.

cnet didn't mention it, never mind complain about it. They have no credibility any more.
    I think its exactly the same. Both were positioned as radically small, and the eliminated the stereo jack.

if anything, it was a worse move back then because bluetooth headsets weren't as usable as they are now.

cnet didn't mention it, never mind complain about it. They have no credibility any more.
    The difference is 3.5mm jacks weren't standard or expected for cell phones in 2003 (most of them didn't even have the capacity for more than an album). They weren't even standard on 2006 phones -- when the Pearl came out. I remember having to use a terrible 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter on the Motorola Q, which was considerably larger than the Pearl.

Most reviews of the Veer, including pre|central's, mention the headphone adapter as a negative because EVERYTHING comes with a 3.5mm headset jack now. Including the Kin, which was about as small as the Veer.
    the point is that there was a standard jack. Every phone had the 2.5mm jack. The fact that Apple "changed the standard" is not relevant. Every phone had a 2.5mm headset jack, but the Blackberry Pearl and Moto-Razr left them out and went for proprietary connectors, which CNET failed to mention, never mind criticize.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/13/2011 at 12:03 AM.
    Two wrongs make a right, I guess.
    or maybe it's 3 rights make a wrong.
    I thought 3 rights made a left.

Personally, I think that if you are going to have a charging cable for a phone, the magnetic charging/USB cable the Veer has is fantastic. As far as the magnetic headphone jack goes, I simply think that it's a case of people complaining about a change more than design. For those who are the most vocal, I would bet that they are using Bluetooth headsets for their own devices. I see fewer and fewer chorded headsets being used on my daily commuter train rides. As more people shift to wireless headsets, I think this whole thing will be less of a big deal than people make out. But... that's just my take on it.
    There's still a ton of people in Chicago using corded.

I won't use stereo BT yet, as stated earlier.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast