Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I understand your preferences, thanks for the answer.

I agree the recharging and costs are the cons, but those are the trade offs I will make to get wireless. Much easier for me to work/exercise/play without wires.

Quote Originally Posted by Honis View Post
    Wired don't require recharge. Wired don't have a lithium ion battery that will need to be replaced after 2-4 years. Wired you can get ok to decent quality sound for $10. BT you need to spend $50+ for ok to decent quality sound or $70+ for good quality sound. Using a BT headset with any device decreases the battery charge of that device faster than using wired headphones (assuming you're not charging the device as you listen).

Those are the reasons I don't own BT stereo headphones. I do own a BT car kit and have a touchstone in my car though. I'm disappointed with the music sound quality, but it's the best solution for getting my baseball games to output through my car speakers.
    I see pandas.
    I think the veer is a horrible idea. You guys can say oh it fits a niche of people but it's the smallest group ever. She may be a bad techy but she is almost an average customer and her review is how most will see it. This phone is just to small. They shouldve stoped at the pre 2 size. Nobody will look at the pre 2 and say I need a smaller phone. The headphone jack is a bad idea also. I use bluetooth headphones but sometime I plug in and there is no way that connector will stay on running with my phone in my pocket. I also would lose it just like most people. Veer should def not be leading the hp phones into the market with webos. Webos is a win veer is going to give it a bad look.
    Agreed the biggest drawback to BT stereo is BT just doesn't seem to be the ideal solution, but it's the best wireless solution ATM.

Heh, in my case, I have trouble with headphones being too small. Thankfully, Motorola increased the flexibility of the S-10 HD headphones so they fit better than the S-9 did.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    The ones in the $100 and up range offer excellent sound. You can also find some gems under $100.

BT has spotty reviews, still. Connection, inconsistent sound quality and fit problems come to mind. In my case, many sets are just too huge for me.
    I see pandas.
    The one reason I can deal with Apple cables is because aftermarket cables are plentiful and sometimes better. And interchangable among iOS devices. And I don't have to also attach the charging port.

But I'm still waiting for the EU agreement for microUSB chargers on all phones to kick in. I want to see if Apple will comply. MicroUSB will get rid of one of their cash cows. But it will be better for consumers. MicroUSB is way cheaper and universal. I have a feeling they'll try to get around this somehow by still requiring the proprietary cable for syncing.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 05/12/2011 at 02:27 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by j_benj View Post
    Amen. Too many gadgets here.. I don't need my personal phone to be a giant beast anymore. I just want something (with webOS) that I can use for communications, social networking and the occasional app/website. I think the Veer is going to be just what I need.
    I remember going from my treo to a HTC 8525 to a Treo Pro and sighing with relief for getting rid of that big brick in my pocket.

Somebody just posted yesterday that the screen is larger on the Veer than it is on my Treo Pro.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    Agreed the biggest drawback to BT stereo is BT just doesn't seem to be the ideal solution, but it's the best wireless solution ATM.

Heh, in my case, I have trouble with headphones being too small. Thankfully, Motorola increased the flexibility of the S-10 HD headphones so they fit better than the S-9 did.
    S-10 has worse reviews than S-9 from what I've seen. I don't know if it's user error or what, but it's not encouraging when the successor has worse reviews than the first.

I need a small set for sure, and the one set I saw that was any good judging by reviews and price was huge for me. Sony does have a small set but it also has inconsistent reviews. I'm not sure I want to pay $70 or so to find out. They don't sell that one in the stores around here so it'll be a hassle to return if ordered online. I could try the S-10 I guess, at $90 full retail. At least I can get that around here.

I'm just not too impressed with the options concerning BT stereo headsets.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    The one reason I can deal with Apple cables is because aftermarket cables are plentiful and sometimes better. And interchangable among iOS devices. And I don't have to also attach the charging port.

But I'm still waiting for the EU agreement for microUSB chargers on all phones to kick in. I want to see if Apple will comply. MicroUSB will get rid of one of their cash cows. But it will be better for consumers. MicroUSB is way cheaper and universal. I have a feeling they'll try to get around this somehow by still requiring the proprietary cable for syncing.
    Heh, they may just give you a little converter to plug into the dock to be "compliant". Apple seems to manage to get away with a lot of things other companies would and have been persecuted for.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post

I find the title (Cnet Says, "HP Veers off course") that you gave to this thread to be misleading/misrepresentative of the review.

They took exception to its small size, that's it, all other things were quite positive (except complianing about the earphone plug, which she put on upside down ).
    Last edited by LCGuy; 05/12/2011 at 02:51 PM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Heh, they may just give you a little converter to plug into the dock to be "compliant". Apple seems to manage to get away with a lot of things other companies would and have been persecuted for.
    I hope that won't fly with the EU. Almost every other phone has microUSB built in now. But the reason I think they may still try to use the proprietary cable is with microUSB, you can often see your device as a full storage drive. They don't like that. I downloaded an app that I believe will let you do this, but through iTunes(big surprise). I didn't really try it yet though to see exactly what it can do. But as long as you're tied to iTunes for syncing, they stand to make money on the backend. Many people seem just too willing to buy all iTunes content.

I hope that won't fly with the EU. Almost every other phone has microUSB built in now. But the reason I think they may still try to use the proprietary cable is with microUSB, you can often see your device as a full storage drive. They don't like that. I downloaded an app that I believe will let you do this, but through iTunes(big surprise). I didn't really try it yet though to see exactly what it can do. But as long as you're tied to iTunes for syncing, they stand to make money on the backend. Many people seem just too willing to buy all iTunes content.
    Yea, iTunes is a scourge. The only reason I have it is to sync my iPod and the only time I've ever purchased media from there is when my CC company was doing a promotion that they would credit 6 song purchases back to my account if you made the purchases on their card.

As for file system access, it's no more difficult for them to prevent that on a micro USB port than it is on their 30-pin iPod port. All of that is just internal control overhead unrelated to the port specs.

I have noticed a lot of those apps showing up that will mimic a file storage partition that can be accessed through iTunes. There are also actual programs out there that can do full access to the iPhone's file system. There are probably jailbrake apps that can offer similar on-device file system access as well.

We'll see what Apple does but with the things they've been managing to get away with I wouldn't put it past them to try the adapter route. Honestly, I'm hoping they get away with it because then that means HP might be inclined to expand their use of that magnetic port on the Veer to future devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    LOL I don't get that perception. Granted, it's not a norm in the mobile phone market, but complaining about something as basic as simply attaching a magnet to the side of a phone (which only fits one way) is as smart as complaining about plugging the USB cord in (ie: you should be able to plug in the USB charging cable in any direction.. geez it's really dumb that it only fits in the connection one way.) LOL

If anyone thinks they will lose the adapter, either use a bluetooth headset, or don't buy the phone. Having a 'professional' reviewer pan a device because they don't like a magnetic connector they can't seem to use, or that you "have to use" the magnetic charging cable to charge the device (which it comes with a TouchStone back built in). Sorry... but her review was simply embarrassing.
    I agree that cNET reviews are usually lacking...but they are also written for the regular consumer. And I'll be the regular consumer will put the thing on wrong too. And then lose it.

I wish the small smart phone would have been carried off a little better. I can't see buying (or recommending to my friends) any phone without a standard headphone jack (which I use to share music via 3.5mm audio out ports) or a standard charger (which has saved me from a dead phone on many an occasion by being fairly ubiquitous).

I'm sure some people will love this little phone. Unfortunately I agree that the lack of a standard audio jack and USB port have derailed this one.

nb
    Quote Originally Posted by biggnaa20 View Post
    I wish the small smart phone would have been carried off a little better. I can't see buying (or recommending to my friends) any phone without a standard headphone jack (which I use to share music via 3.5mm audio out ports) or a standard charger (which has saved me from a dead phone on many an occasion by being fairly ubiquitous).
    So you would not recommend an iPhone to anyone else?
    Proprietary adapters really need to go and stay gone. No one should be bringing them back. Just another thing to lose then pay through the nose for to replace. Standard USB means you don't need to run out just yet and get a charger and cable, if you already have one for other devices. And online they are way less.

Yea, iTunes is a scourge. The only reason I have it is to sync my iPod and the only time I've ever purchased media from there is when my CC company was doing a promotion that they would credit 6 song purchases back to my account if you made the purchases on their card.

As for file system access, it's no more difficult for them to prevent that on a micro USB port than it is on their 30-pin iPod port. All of that is just internal control overhead unrelated to the port specs.

I have noticed a lot of those apps showing up that will mimic a file storage partition that can be accessed through iTunes. There are also actual programs out there that can do full access to the iPhone's file system. There are probably jailbrake apps that can offer similar on-device file system access as well.

We'll see what Apple does but with the things they've been managing to get away with I wouldn't put it past them to try the adapter route. Honestly, I'm hoping they get away with it because then that means HP might be inclined to expand their use of that magnetic port on the Veer to future devices.

Proprietary adapters really need to go and stay gone. No one should be bringing them back. Just another thing to lose then pay through the nose for to replace. Standard USB means you don't need to run out just yet and get a charger and cable, if you already have one for other devices. And online they are way less.
    Most proprietary cables end up being just as cheap through the same outlets.

But that's fine if you think they should go away. I think that something like the mag port on the Veer should be what replaces them, including replacing micro USB. It's just a lot nicer concept. Completely sealed from dust and moisture, easily able to break away from the device for those accidents I know every single one of us has had involving a cable plugged into a device. Plus this design doesn't take up the extra internal space of a recessed plug allowing for more internal component layout options.
    So you would not recommend an iPhone to anyone else?
    If you can find the cables readily, which is easy if you're in a metro area. Out in a place with limited stores without a cable and you may be out of luck. The charger part is actually a standard full size USB port. I can use the charger with any USB cable on other devices. And that also means any charger that has a full size standard USB port will work on the iPhone(but you may have to check the voltage to be safe). The bad part is the proprietary cable/port on iOS devices. So you really have to keep the cables around. And the thing about that is they have to be Apple certified or they may or may not work properly.

Prime example though of why standards should be used. You can just plug in the walk and go with a standard microUSB.

Most proprietary cables end up being just as cheap through the same outlets.

But that's fine if you think they should go away. I think that something like the mag port on the Veer should be what replaces them, including replacing micro USB. It's just a lot nicer concept. Completely sealed from dust and moisture, easily able to break away from the device for those accidents I know every single one of us has had involving a cable plugged into a device. Plus this design doesn't take up the extra internal space of a recessed plug allowing for more internal component layout options.
    It would have to become a standard for this to work effectively. I can run in and get a microUSB charger in an emergency from even a convenience store. Not so with adapters and proprietary cables.

Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Honis View Post
    Wired don't require recharge. Wired don't have a lithium ion battery that will need to be replaced after 2-4 years. Wired you can get ok to decent quality sound for $10. BT you need to spend $50+ for ok to decent quality sound or $70+ for good quality sound. Using a BT headset with any device decreases the battery charge of that device faster than using wired headphones (assuming you're not charging the device as you listen).

Those are the reasons I don't own BT stereo headphones. I do own a BT car kit and have a touchstone in my car though. I'm disappointed with the music sound quality, but it's the best solution for getting my baseball games to output through my car speakers.
    I agree with you except for the part about it using less battery. In my personal experience, listening to music via the 3.5mm audio out kills battery faster than Bluetooth.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Ive said it before, it should have shipped with a cabled stereo headset that had a solid adapter fitted to it, that way it would have been much less bulky as it wouldnt have to house a female 3.5 mm phono plug.

Imagine how sleek the adapter would be if the cable was soldered directly into it skipping the 3.5 mm port.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    It would have to become a standard for this to work effectively. I can run in and get a microUSB charger in an emergency from even a convenience store. Not so with adapters and proprietary cables.
    I think you're going too much into this convenience issue. Personally, I'd be willing to give up a little emergency convenience and plan ahead for emergency issues to get more functional convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post
    I agree with you except for the part about it using less battery. In my personal experience, listening to music via the 3.5mm audio out kills battery faster than Bluetooth.
    That would only happen if you're blaring it at or near max volume. If you're listing at safe levels then a standard set of headphones will use less battery.
    I think you're going too much into this convenience issue. Personally, I'd be willing to give up a little emergency convenience and plan ahead for emergency issues to get more functional convenience.

You have never lost or broken a charger or cable?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast