Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Ok I love webos I love internals I even like my Pixi.

My friends candy bar phone is dying and I am trying to convince her to get the veer next week.

Yet everyone is trying to talk her into andriod.

I don't get it. I was really hoping since the veer is the same size as her candybar phone it would be an easy sell.

I've shown her how easy web sites render i've shown her my 5 synced calendars and 8 emails.

I've shown her my exchange server access.

I even installed a theme just to show her how cool they can be.

What would you do?

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Why push it?
    Probably because "Ok I love webos I love internals I even like my Pixi." and he/she wants to share the love. Which is what you would expect from somebody who frequents a webOS forum.

The best approach would probably to take her in for a hands-on demo, and so that she can see the size and 'rock-solid' construction mentioned in of the reviews.
    I'd let her buy the android or whatever she wants. If she gets it and wants to switch from it, then you can show her your phone again.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Precentral people who are still happy after returning their phone a couple of times for a refurb are the exception.?
    Honestly, I purchased a Pixi because of the build quality of the Pre. But people knew that the slider strength was a problem from day one.

I am not getting that vibe from the Veer.

If she doesn't feel comftorable with webos, no need to push it. I had gotten my wife a pixi because I thought it would be perfect for her (tight facebook integration, smooth os, great keyboard) but she just didn't like it and I ended up having to take it back and get her an iphone which she has been happy with ever since. Everyone has different preferances, and while we feel really comftorable and happy with webos, others may not feel the same. In the end everyone has to get what makes them happy.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Like everyone else is saying I would stay out of it unless you WANT her to come to you with every problem.

Android is proven. Webos isn't yet.
    Also if she's on a dumb phone her plan is probably much less too. Some just don't need smart phones.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    What do you mean by proven? How is webOS not proven after being out for two years?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Android (like ios) can do just about anything. They are fast, cheap, and reliable and hey have had more time and support to mature. They are the top two most successful and will be around for the foreseeable future.

Not saying webos won't.

I say show her but don't over do it. If she likes the keyboard good... if not just stop there.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    When it comes to a personal relationship, you can't "hard sell" someone on something - while you think you might know what's good for them, THAT's the exact time to respect their right to make their own decisions, and show that person just how much you do respect them.

If convincing her that a WebOS device is good for her is so challenging, and she is still leaning towards an Adroid device, then, perhaps its just best to let her own instincts take over.Then, if she buys an Android smartphone, just smile and be happy for her, while you enjoy YOUR own choice.. a WebOS phone.

Who knows? Maybe, just maaayybeee.. she'll use her Adnrolid phone and have issues with the OS like some do, and then take an honest look at a WebOS phone to evaluate it - then a migration would be her idea, and she'd be amuch more solid WebOS patron.

On the other hand, she might love her Android phone.. and what's the matter with that?

In the end, it really is ALL about buying a device that suits one's personal needs, isn't it?

Isn't that why WebOS is unique and special, for those of us here at PreCentral?

My advice, then, is to be the best friend you can to her, first, and let your enthusiasm for WebOS come into play onlywhen, and if asked, at this point!

Last edited by LCGuy; 05/12/2011 at 06:43 AM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Take her to the store for a hands on with the Veer. Ask for a demo with an Android phone side by side. Open 4 apps on each phone, any 4 apps, then show her how you switch between the apps on each phone. Let her decide then.
    NNJ
    Quote Originally Posted by jckatz View Post

What would you do?

If she's still unsure after you've shown her your exchange server access then what can you do right? Usually i save that for last though.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Very good advice, she does want a smart phone and when she posted on facebook everyone said Andriod and iPhone, which didn't help her one bit.

Here is hoping on Monday we can go to bestbuy and play with the Veer next to a cheaper Android.

Just wish it was Sprint because as you said the monthly plan is killer with AT&T.
    Simplexity sells. Continue to show her how easy webOS and how powerful it is. At the end of the day (come Monday) when she walks into a store and is doing hands on with different devices the little things will click and she will feel like she already knows webOS and that will be the defining edge.

Doing multiple hands on with multiple devices performing the same function across the board is where you can really point out the key differences in how the devices respond and act.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    just go to a store with her next week and do some hands on with the veer and an android phone in the same price range. show her webos' strengths like multitasking and great im integration. tell her android has more games and stuff. then let her decide. yeah but don't push her, just explain why you think she will be happier with a veer.
    but maybe the veer sells itself considering how small and beautiful it is compared to all the other boring androids.
    as someone else already said, when she decides to get the veer because of your great salesmanship, she will ask you when there's a problem, don't forget that, this can be quite bothering.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    LOL, I just lost the Verizon store is located across the street.
    Quote Originally Posted by jckatz View Post
    LOL, I just lost the Verizon store is located across the street.
    Well, you know what they say:

"location, location, location" are the most important factors in securing most deals with physical assets.

Relax - if she's happy, so should you be, too!

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein