Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    This has nothing to do with HP. Best Buy decides to offer better prices so that you buy the phone from them. That not only allows them to get commission from AT&T but also puts them in a better position to sell accessories to you.
    I wonder if HP gave BB a great deal on the veer?
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    That's a possibility, perhaps an example of them 'leveraging their outlets.' but I can't imagine AT&T being to happy about that. If that is the case it could be a deal to give prominent placing and other sweeteners to the TP.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    has anyone successfully preordered a Veer at BB using this deal? I called the mobile dept at my local BB store and they had no clue what i was talking about LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    no, what it is is that best buy gets a commision check from at&t for every contract sold, best buy just eats some of that commision money to lower the price of the phone.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    DOOOOOMED D:

I agree that the veer should have a dumb phone web plan. For tethering charge $30 still but I doubt the web data size will be very large at all on this phone.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    DOOOOOMED D:

I agree that the veer should have a dumb phone web plan. For tethering charge $30 still but I doubt the web data size will be very large at all on this phone.
    Why wouldn't the data size be large for the phone? Sure, some people that buy it might not use the web as much as someone that buys a different phone, but many people will. The screen size doesn't make the data smaller.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    Why wouldn't the data size be large for the phone? Sure, some people that buy it might not use the web as much as someone that buys a different phone, but many people will. The screen size doesn't make the data smaller.
    Exactly,
    If I have a bigger phone, I get the bigger data plan.
    If I have the smaller phone, I get the smaller data plan.
    But then again, people can get the data plan that fits their needs.

Does anybody remember why the carriers moved to tiered data plans?
    Does anybody remember the average data use by smartphone users?
    I just think less browsing and less streaming will be done on the small screen compared to say an iPhone (netflix, hd video upload) or android (movie rentals and music streaming)

I think it would sell GREAT if it had a cheaper plan.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    DOOOOOMED D:

I just think less browsing and less streaming will be done on the small screen compared to say an iPhone (netflix, hd video upload) or android (movie rentals and music streaming)

I think it would sell GREAT if it had a cheaper plan.
    It already does. It's called the $15/month 200 MB plan. AT&T already made the switch to tiered data plans in order to offer exactly what you guys are complaining doesn't exist.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveer View Post
    It already does. It's called the $15/month 200 MB plan. AT&T already made the switch to tiered data plans in order to offer exactly what you guys are complaining doesn't exist.
    Exactly.

Actually, it's more like the "gateway drug" plan.

Someone comes in looking at phones, the salesperson says "check out this huge awesome superphone!" Customer says "i don't use all that, I just want a nice little free phone". Smart salesman says "this phone is free, tiny, stylish, AND for only $15 more a month you'll be able to check email, chat, get apps, take pictures and movies, use GPS, listen to music, and have the full web available when you want it." That dumbphone they were going to buy has a small even crappier screen, proprietary charger, and doesn't even have a headphone jack, so the VEER downsides aren't a huge deal to them.

They don't currently do anything online, so they aren't likely to go over 200MB - at first. Half a year later they're paying $25 for data, $10 for GPS, $10 for text messages, and wasting time complaining about stupid freakin dongles on smartphone forums...
    Can best buy offer early upgrades? Such as a fee like AT&T used to? Or do they have any effect on off contract pricing?
    I downgraded from AT&T unlimited data to the $15/month 200MB plan for my Pre-Plus (and for my Wife's Blackberry.) Most of my data usage is when I am on WiFi so I've never once gone above the limit. I would have to go over 200MB 50% of the time for the extra charges to cost more than it would cost to go up to the next level plan. I'm actually a pretty heavy data user, just always on WiFi.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ahitz View Post
    Exactly.

Someone comes in looking at phones, the salesperson says "check out this huge awesome superphone!" Customer says "i don't use all that, I just want a nice little free phone". Smart salesman says "this phone is free, tiny, stylish, AND for only $15 more a month you'll be able to check email, chat, get apps, take pictures and movies, use GPS, listen to music, and have the full web available when you want it." That dumbphone they were going to buy has a small even crappier screen, proprietary charger, and doesn't even have a headphone jack, so the VEER downsides aren't a huge deal to them.

They don't currently do anything online, so they aren't likely to go over 200MB - at first. Half a year later they're paying $25 for data, $10 for GPS, $10 for text messages, and wasting time complaining about stupid freakin dongles on smartphone forums...
    I love it -- this is actually one of the best sales pitches I have ever heard. Well said
    Exactly.

Wow, no idea AT&T execs browsed the P|C forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by TexZenFool View Post
    I downgraded from AT&T unlimited data to the $15/month 200MB plan for my Pre-Plus (and for my Wife's Blackberry.) Most of my data usage is when I am on WiFi so I've never once gone above the limit. I would have to go over 200MB 50% of the time for the extra charges to cost more than it would cost to go up to the next level plan. I'm actually a pretty heavy data user, just always on WiFi.
    Yep, and AT&T's wifi hotspots make this even more realistic.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    This got me really excited about it. Now, how much is it off contract? My upgrade isn't until June 30th!
    Quote Originally Posted by punyparker View Post
    This got me really excited about it. Now, how much is it off contract? My upgrade isn't until June 30th!
    If buying from AT&T, I'd estimate between $400-$500. If buying from an authorized dealer like Best Buy I'd estimate about $100-$150 more on top of AT&T's direct price.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    I'm going to try to stop by BB tonight on my way home and see if I have more luck face-to-face on this deal. Will report back later this evening with success or failure
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    If buying from AT&T, I'd estimate between $400-$500. If buying from an authorized dealer like Best Buy I'd estimate about $100-$150 more on top of AT&T's direct price.
    There is absolutely no way they could charge that much! If that's the case I'm buying a pre+ selling this POS iPhone 4 and waiting out my upgrade...which will b sad...
    Half a year later they're paying $25 for data, $10 for GPS, $10 for text messages, and wasting time complaining about stupid freakin dongles on smartphone forums...
    Wait. You have to pay for GPS in the US of A?!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast