1.    #1  
    I currently have a Centro and am thinking of getting the veer. Couple of questions for those who have an trial veer-

How does the keyboard compare to the Centro?

Will tethering be available like the Centro or only the Mobile hotspot?

Anything else I should consider from those who have used both?
    better keyboard. Tethering and hotspot are sort of the same thing.

you will love it.
    The OS is whats going to make a difference.

Call quality is going to be better.

I don't know about battery life.

If you plan on getting a Touchpad it will have Touch-to-share.

It's built like a tank.
    Palm IIIx >>> Palm V >>> Palm Vx >>> Tungsten T5 >>> webOS 2.1 emulator

Pre|central Peacekeepers
    SO easy anyone can do it! HP webOS First App Tutorial

If i have helped you; please click the Thanks button.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    He missed one, so I gave this thread 5 stars.
    Just call me Berd.
    You'll want to be ready to slow down your movements inside the OS. The Veer's webOS will let you do a lot of fun stuff, and it's gorgeous compared to the Centro's ancient PalmOS, but it's nowhere near as snappy. Your first few days will probably be spent figuring out when to tap again, and when to just wait for the phone to catch up.

I'm not saying the Veer's user experience is bad, just that it's definitely slower than the Garnet you're running on your Centro.

Keyboard is exceptional. Worlds better than Centro's.

Any particular reason you're trying to do tethering (I assume using USB) instead of Mobile Hotspot?
  6.    #6  
    With tethering I could just configure my pc's bluetooth to pick up the phone and didn't have pay the extra cost with AT&T.
    You are soo lucky to be able to get this phone! I am jealous
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    Quote Originally Posted by riw View Post
    With tethering I could just configure my pc's bluetooth to pick up the phone and didn't have pay the extra cost with AT&T.
    There is a homebrew program called freetether that will allow you to connect your laptop over wifi/bluetooth/usb. But it is possible for AT&T to see that you are doing this and force you into the higher data plan (I think it's $45). I haven't heard of this happening to webOS devices, but it is possible.

If you don't have wifi at home, and you plan to use your PC on the same chunk of data, I'd say you really want the 4GB Data plan that includes tethering anyway ($45).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    One big thing not mentioned (and you may already be aware): There is no HotSync of any kind. Email, Contacts and calendar items must be first loaded to a cloud-accessible source like MS Exchange, GMail, Yahoo, etc. Palm does not provide much direct help for such a transition, either.

That being said, you'll never want to go back.
    Palm history: II, IIIc, Kyocera 7135, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, FrankenPre+, (legit) Pre+ & TouchPad.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    There is no Hotsync - correct. But you can buy 3rd party solutions which will help you sync with Palm Desktop 6.x (sorry, no PD 4.x, because Companionlink does not support webOS 2.x)
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Yes - the transfer of contacts was more painful than it should have been. I exported my contacts (over 10 years worth) from the desktop to my gmail account. Once you have checked that they are all there, when you connect up gmail as an account, it will pull everything in automagically.

Still, I wish they had put a little effort into making it easier.
    If you used Pocket Mirror from Chapura for your centro to desktop Outlook, Chapura has a Pocket Mirror for webOS that works similarly. This will allow you to move all those contact/calendar/task/memo items over, and sync when on the same WiFi network. Also, if you use handyshopper for shopping list, Shopping Manager is an enhanced app on webOS that can even import your old PalmOS handyshopper data!

Good luck!
    - Alan
    Palm III, Palm Vx, Palm TX, Palm Pre (Sprint), Palm Pre3(AT&T/ebay)
  13.    #13  
    wow the transferring of contacts sounds complicated. When I get started I may need to ask for help from you guys.

Another concern I was having from what I have been reading over here is the ability to edit documents and powerpoints and things like that. I have used my centro for that quite often.
    wow the transferring of contacts sounds complicated. When I get started I may need to ask for help from you guys.

Another concern I was having from what I have been reading over here is the ability to edit documents and powerpoints and things like that. I have used my centro for that quite often.
    Its actually quite easy... dump your contacts to a csv file on your computer form your centro. Upload that csv file to your gmail account. Once you have a veer, use synergy to connect your gmail account to webOS on the veer. Voila, with the power of the cloud and synergy, your contacts will all appear on the veer.

One note, NEVER use the palm profile as your primary input for contacts. HP does not have a login where you can go and edit contacts online.

It's not as bad as you think. The data transfer tool will make it all seemless. Contacts and Calendar to a Google account, tasks and memos direct to the Veer (on time only) and voila! Synergy will pull all that info down and make sure it stays updated.

Doc editing is a bit of a sore spot. Docs To Go totally b*tched out on us and eventually got bought by RIM. Open Office is now on board with a doc viewer and full version coming with WebOS 3.0 and the TPad. GDocs works ok and there are a few in the catalog for basic editing.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    One note, NEVER use the palm profile as your primary input for contacts. HP does not have a login where you can go and edit contacts online.
    Meaning always use gmail for the contacts I want on my phone and not to input directly in the phone's contact app??
    What about using the 'Send' item from the menu in the Centro's contacts app? It lets you send them all as a vCard. Will webOS read vCards with multiple contacts in them?
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Meaning always use gmail for the contacts I want on my phone and not to input directly in the phone's contact app??
    Well its a little different than that.

When you start inputting contacts in your contact app on your phone, you can tell your webOS phone to make gmail the primary contact inout. That way, through your contact app, when you put in a contact, it also adds it to your gmail contacts.

The benefit of this is amazing. Just to name a few.

1) Your phone dies. you need someones number. Log into your google account online and go to the contacts tab. All your phone numbers are there even if you inputted the contact in your contacts app on your phone.

2) Having all your primary contacts in one location is neat. Also if you even change devices and even OSes (go to iOS or Android) it is a very easy transition.

3) You can log into your gmail account and edit contacts through the web is so easy compared to typing them on your phone. All changes will automatically be saved and downloaded to your phone.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    When you start inputting contacts in your contact app on your phone, you can tell your webOS phone to make gmail the primary contact inout. That way, through your contact app, when you put in a contact, it also adds it to your gmail contacts.
    Sounds great. Let me see if I understand, So basically it's not as simple as saving my contacts to my sim card and moving the card. I will need to input all the contacts into Gmail and then when I add any new contacts they will automatically be uploaded to gmail if I set it up that way.

So does anyone know of a way to transfer the sim card contacts to gmail without having to manually type them out?
    Hi,
    I'm a bit behind the curve and have just migrated a Treo 650 to a Pre (minus)

What you do is Hotsync one last time to get all your contacts on PC

If you're following the advice to sync with Google as primary source rather than palm profile, then setup google account (if not already done)

then hookup Veer / Pre via USB and use the Palm Data Transfer Tool to copy your data over

Palm : Download & Run the Data Transfer Assistant (DTA)

Tell it to use Google not Palm Profile as primary for contacts if you're going that route.