Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just saw my first hands on of the Sony Xperia Mini and from what I see, the Veer is just a leap and a jump ahead of it. Who would want a small little box anyway when you could have a smooth little pebble? Your impressions?
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    No contest. At all.
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrewd View Post
    No contest. At all.
    Veer

+webos, nice feel in the hand, smaller?

mini pro

+3" screen, auto focus camera with settings, built in music jack, better keyboard, more apps, hi resolution video, I like the organizing features for media., quick launch corners seem neat.

will probably see if hp comes up with a updated pre 2 and check out the mini next year when it's time for a new phone.

without upgrades to hardware and bette are apps i'll probably go with the sony

currently have pre+. Used to have a sony feature phone and liked it. Haven't used android so don't know about that.

will definitely che
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by revtskillings View Post
    Veer

+webos, nice feel in the hand, smaller?

mini pro

+3" screen, auto focus camera with settings, built in music jack, better keyboard, more apps, hi resolution video, I like the organizing features for media., quick launch corners seem neat.

will probably see if hp comes up with a updated pre 2 and check out the mini next year when it's time for a new phone.

without upgrades to hardware and bette are apps i'll probably go with the sony

currently have pre+. Used to have a sony feature phone and liked it. Haven't used android so don't know about that.

will definitely che
    Well, they're competing in size, right? The Veer wins by much. They are more comparable to the Pre 2 in size, and one of them doesn't even have a physical keyboard.

What you mean "without upgrades to hardware"? If you meant software, Sony Ericsson is known for their lack of updates, and the Veer will be updated to 3.0 after the TouchPad launches, so is a plus to the Veer.

The screen is not a plus for the Mini Pro, because the device gets bigger, or at least that's what I'd think for a "small smartphone". The camera and headphone jack is a plus for the Mini Pro, but better keyboard? How do you know?

And you're listing features, so... True Multitasking (Cards), Stacks, Just Type, Quick Actions, Exhibition Mode, Touchstone charging, way better for productivity (in my opinion), and comparing videos, the Veer seems more fluid and responsive.

So for me and my needs, the Veer, and for someone with a dumbphone, I'd say the Veer as well. This is just my opinion, of course.
    What I meant in terms of hardware had to do with the camera (I hate that quality of pictures my pre plus takes, and it doesn't just have to do with pixels).

I think the apps are something that hp will really have to work at.

I do agree that the mini pro is probably more comparable to pre2. But if I had to choose between the current pre2 and mini pro, given the current app situation it would be a tough call.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    What I meant in terms of hardware had to do with the camera (I hate that quality of pictures my pre plus takes, and it doesn't just have to do with pixels).

I think the apps are something that hp will really have to work at.

I do agree that the mini pro is probably more comparable to pre2. But if I had to choose between the current pre2 and mini pro, given the current app situation it would be a tough call.
    Those are valid points, especially camera and apps, so I agree in that regard. But comparing it with the Veer, for size and portability, and for usability overall, I think the Veer would be a better choice, you know.
    SE mini gets more responsiveness with launcher pro installed. Put on it some weather widgets and you will get cute and attractive phone with good multimedia options. Add few $$ to by some apps, and you 'll get multimedia mini beast.

I was hoping Veer will get some atractive new features since it's targeted as cool+fun+youth phone, but for HP be small is same as be cool.
    I don't really like Veer, I never understood the small size in smartphone. However, if i have to pick between Veer and Xperia Mini, I will pick Veer. If these are the only choice I have, I even pay $100 more than Xperia Mini. I think Xperia Mini looks so ugly.
    Well, I agree.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    The Xperia is ugly.
    It is larger than the Veer.
    It does not have webOS.
    As such, there won't be any TTS for it.

The only thing the Veer doesn't have is a LED flash. Almost a turn off for me. But then I thought about it, the only time I have ever needed a flash for my phone camera is when I have been out somewhere. So I think I will follow common sense and this is on it's way. If you need great pics, get a great camera.
    NNJ
    I don't want great pics, I just want good pics. I had a 2 megapixel camera phone 5 years ago that got me better pics than my pre.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    I don't want great pics, I just want good pics. I had a 2 megapixel camera phone 5 years ago that got me better pics than my pre.
    You're really buying a phone for the camera?
    NNJ
    I would really stay away from the X10 mini family (both), they have the same processor and memory as the Palm Pixi, and my gf's Pro chokes with just Gtalk, Whatsapp and any other app open. She complaints A LOT about it. She always tells me that if it weren't for the lack of Whatsapp for the Pre she would happily switch, as she loves webOS, but she relies on Whatsapp too much

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    You're really buying a phone for the camera?
    My phone does replace my camera these days. My current camera phone is better than my last digital point and shoot that I bought. No comparison and much easier to get a picture off than carrying my camera around.

I am surprised that digital point and shoots even exist today (and in fact, Flip is a casualty of the same reason, only in the handy cam category)
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    My phone does replace my camera these days. My current camera phone is better than my last digital point and shoot that I bought. No comparison and much easier to get a picture off than carrying my camera around.

I am surprised that digital point and shoots even exist today (and in fact, Flip is a casualty of the same reason, only in the handy cam category)
    I like their capabilities for high-speed, mutiple shots, landscapes (stitch), zoom mainly.
    NNJ
    Actually there was an article in a mag recently (Popular Science?) about how camera makers are really starting to suffer because sales have slumped significantly due to cameras in phones increasing in quality. I wouldn't every take my digital camera out again if my phone's camera could do the job equally.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Camera phones are good for quick shots to email/sms around or post on Facebook, but I would never use it for anything I was going to save for posterity.. family photos, vacations, etc. The quality is far and away better on my digital camera than it is on any phone I've ever owned.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_benj View Post
    Camera phones are good for quick shots to email/sms around or post on Facebook, but I would never use it for anything I was going to save for posterity.. family photos, vacations, etc. The quality is far and away better on my digital camera than it is on any phone I've ever owned.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Actually there was an article in a mag recently (Popular Science?) about how camera makers are really starting to suffer because sales have slumped significantly due to cameras in phones increasing in quality. I wouldn't every take my digital camera out again if my phone's camera could do the job equally.
    Exactly. Camera phones will never (hah! never say never...you never know!) replace SLR equipment for serious photography, but for the casual digital shot when you aren't planning on taking pics? Why would you carry an additional device if you didn't need it?
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Exactly. Camera phones will never (hah! never say never...you never know!) replace SLR equipment for serious photography, but for the casual digital shot when you aren't planning on taking pics? Why would you carry an additional device if you didn't need it?
    Exactly! And the only time I need a good camera is when I walk with one.
    NNJ
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast