Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    HP Veer 4G Review

Pros:

• Amazingly tiny, yet capable webOS phone
    • webOS 2.1.1 improves upon an already great mobile OS with features like stacks, just type and improved launcher
    • Keyboard reminiscent of Palm Centro
    • Much improved build quality as compared to Palm Pre Plus and original Palm Pre

Cons:

• Small display, keyboard
    • Required attachment for 3.5mm headphone jack is not a very elegant solution
    • In-app speed continues to frustrate
    • Battery life is barely acceptable and is not user-replaceable
    • No expandable memory

The HP Veer is impressive, eye catching and comes in either black and white. A timely visit to my three teenage nieces allowed me to get their thoughts on the Veer. While initial impressions were filled with ooohs and aaahs, they weren’t so sure it was big enough to use as an every day phone. At a time when HP is chasing the smartphone market leaders, they release an impossibly small phone, unlike anything on the market. Admittedly, I’m not the target market for this phone, but it seems to me the Veer could go one of two ways. Incredibly popular or by way of the Kin. In the past, a $99 smartphone would sell briskly due to the price. Even at $99, the Veer faces heavy competition from some excellent $49 phones including the Samsung Focus, iPhone 3GS, Samsung Inspire 4G or the $99 Motorola Atrix. Teens and perhaps even pre-teens might find the Veer cute and might select the Veer because it’s the antithesis of the phones mentioned above. A quick review of the cons I’ve listed above might not matter to the target demographic for the Veer. I’m not a fan of Justin Bieber, but he’s certainly popular. The Veer could be the smartphone world’s version of Justin Bieber. Wildly successful with some groups, but certainly not a phone for everyone.
    Every review I have seen is saying that this phone has lag issues...

Is it really that bad? Anyone who has used one, does this seem to be the general consensus?
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Everyone think the software is still at 1., what was around when original pre was released. Like maps, emails, calendar, nothing has changed. universal type got rebranded as just type and introduced stacks lost mini card view and ability to plug in quick search.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Everyone think the software is still at 1., what was around when original pre was released. Like maps, emails, calendar, nothing has changed. universal type got rebranded as just type and introduced stacks lost mini card view and ability to plug in quick search.
    Yeah, its really sad. They had 1.4.5 with full of bugs, bug instead of fixing those bigs, they rushed to release 2.+ yet their essential bugs are still in the system and kind of over looked. People blamed on the hardware before, now people will start to point out tons of os bugs in webos.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Yeah, its really sad. They had 1.4.5 with full of bugs, bug instead of fixing those bigs, they rushed to release 2.+ yet their essential bugs are still in the system and kind of over looked. People blamed on the hardware before, now people will start to point out tons of os bugs in webos.
    Name a single bug. I have yet to encounter one. You mention "tons and tons of bugs", but dont have any proof attached.

Please provide proof,not just pointless slagging.

IMO WebOS is seriously stable.
  5.    #5  
    Facebook contact phone numbers not showing up in phone app if you tap on the icon on top right, email syncing issues GALORE, pop email black box issues, database permissions issues GALORE, media indexer not refreshing I.E. coming out of usb drive mode, battery life issues I.E. some users experiencing mega drain...

Just to name a few.
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

there is a whole thread for webOS 2.0 bugs brother, one doesnt need to look further than these forums.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    Facebook contact phone numbers not showing up in phone app if you tap on the icon on top right, email syncing issues GALORE, pop email black box issues, database permissions issues GALORE, media indexer not refreshing I.E. coming out of usb drive mode, battery life issues I.E. some users experiencing mega drain...

Just to name a few.
    so about the same amount of bugs as any other mobile os
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    so about the same amount of bugs as any other mobile os
    Pretty much!

Very well done review. Precentrals never mentioned lag but every other review does.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    I've noticed reviewers with good data speed report no lag while those with poor AT&T speed complain about lag.

At least there isn't complaints about crashing.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    i thought webos2.0 was a major rebuild of 1.0 (not just addition of features) which is why they needed to completely change the dev sdk. so.. many programs needed to be reworked (in its original design) to work with 2.0
    i don't know about bugs but i was majorly disappointed when they announced 2.0 to not see major updates to email, music player, youtube, google maps, camera app. Those are the some core things that would have been top of my priorities.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Name a single bug. I have yet to encounter one. You mention "tons and tons of bugs", but dont have any proof attached.

Please provide proof,not just pointless slagging.

IMO WebOS is seriously stable.
    The problem is people confuse issues they are personally having and call them 'Bugs'
    If you aren't having an issue someone else says they have, it's NOT a specific webOS Bug.
    Maybe it has something to do with the way they have configured their device, but if it isn't something the majority are experiencing, it's not an "Official" Bug.
    Perhaps it's a patch? Perhaps it's an app they've installed? Is their device doctored?
    One of the first things Tech Support suggest to resolve an issue is a Factory Reset.
    Why? because if it doesn't happen after a factory reset, it's not a bug.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    The problem is people confuse issues they are personally having and call them 'Bugs'
    If you aren't having an issue someone else says they have, it's NOT a specific webOS Bug.
    Maybe it has something to do with the way they have configured their device, but if it isn't something the majority are experiencing, it's not an "Official" Bug.
    Perhaps it's a patch? Perhaps it's an app they've installed? Is their device doctored?
    One of the first things Tech Support suggest to resolve an issue is a Factory Reset.
    Why? because if it doesn't happen after a factory reset, it's not a bug.
    A huge problem is that it is almost impossible to find anyone with another Pre 2 that they can check to verify against bugs. And besides that there are definitely bugs in the phone that gets very frustrating when people tell you that nothing is wrong, doctor your phone again. Doctoring a phone every time you talk to a palm chat rep is an extreme hassle that shouldn't be necessary except in extreme cases. If webOS had as many users as iPhone or Android then everyone would know about the bugs.
    Can I consistently and reliably load pdf documents in 2.x? Without having "rendering" issues?
    Quote Originally Posted by i2y4n View Post
    A huge problem is that it is almost impossible to find anyone with another Pre 2 that they can check to verify against bugs.
    Did you try posting in the Pre2 bug thread?
    There's Pre2 users over there.
    Quote Originally Posted by w2wpaul View Post
    Can I consistently and reliably load pdf documents in 2.x? Without having "rendering" issues?
    I never had rendering issues.
    webos 3.0 is going to update all those apps. (well, I hope so, because having to run the phones main apps in emulation would suck.)

They are writing the touchpad's apps using enyo, which is made to scale down to phones. From what I remember, the pre3 will launch with 2.2, (which will hurt it in it's reviews) and later be updated to 3.0 (and why would I possibly doubt hp?).
    Quote Originally Posted by i2y4n View Post
    A huge problem is that it is almost impossible to find anyone with another Pre 2 that they can check to verify against bugs. And besides that there are definitely bugs in the phone that gets very frustrating when people tell you that nothing is wrong, doctor your phone again. Doctoring a phone every time you talk to a palm chat rep is an extreme hassle that shouldn't be necessary except in extreme cases. If webOS had as many users as iPhone or Android then everyone would know about the bugs.
    I have a Pre2. What bug would you like me to enjoy?
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I never had rendering issues.
    Never got the "PDF View has encountered an error. We apologize for the inconvenience. Error message: Render document failed" message while loading a pdf?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast