View Poll Results: Can HPís $99 mini-phone tempt buyers away from the iPhone 3GS or cheaper Android off

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 37.29%
  • No

31 52.54%
  • Maybe Veer-2

2 3.39%
  • too early to say, will know when IP-4 becomes available for 50 dollars

4 6.78%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Can HPís $99 mini-phone tempt buyers away from the iPhone 3GS or cheaper Android offerings?
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Can it? Yes.
    Will it? Some.

Or I don't understand the question?

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    what is the purpose of this poll?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    what is the purpose of this poll?
    Man, just trying to think where H/P is going with Veer, trying to get into 1) Tiny phone market 2) cheap phone market 3) trying to lure dumbphone users into a tiny tiny smartphone 4) Trying to attract attention cause of the unimaginable design 5) or something else
  5.    #5  
    "AT&T is currently offering the Veer 4G at $99 with a two-year contract. That may seem like a great deal, but when you consider you could have the Inspire 4G, or Captivate — both more powerful, full featured devices — for the same price, it might make you do a double take. Furthermore, you could get an iPhone 3GS or Samsung Focus for half the price"
    those would have been good choices to include on the poll...
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Man, just trying to think where H/P is going with Veer, trying to get into 1) Tiny phone market 2) cheap phone market 3) trying to lure dumbphone users into a tiny tiny smartphone 4) something else?
    Nobody knows exactly what HP is thinking but it seems like a lot of people think HP is running Marathon. I am not sure where Veer is fitting into this long term strategy.
    I'm in shock that anyone would buy the 3GS still...
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Why? People still buy Pre Plus.
  10.    #10  
    those would have been good choices to include on the poll...
    Can I change a poll once its published?
    I don't think it can be changed. I also wish it would let me change my vote sometimes, but I don't think it does that either. Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Josh T. outright says he recommends the iPhone 3GS over the HP Veer in the comments section of his review.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Josh T. outright says he recommends the iPhone 3GS over the HP Veer in the comments section of his review.
    Josh lays it out pretty bad, says the software is almost like 1.x version, lacks apps and he wouldnt recommend Veer.

'At the end of the day, there is nothing inspiring, exciting, or deeply original about the Veer 4G. As a webOS device, it underperforms the Pre 2. From a pure features and apps perspective, itís easily bested by iOS and Android devices in the same price range. So really, the only factor here that could be potentially appealing to customers is the size and inclusion of a hardware QWERTY keyboard, and thatís not much to go on as far as Iím concerned. If HP and Palm wanted to make a splash back into the smartphone game, the Veer was not the device to do it with. In fact, it might have been a smarter move to wait on the release of the Pre 3 and TouchPad to reintroduce webOS to the world. As it stands now, the Veer has taken the remaining embers of excitement I had about the operating system and its devices and all but extinguished them.
    But Josh isn't the target market they are after. I don't know if such a target market exists... but if it does it wouldn't include Josh. That's my big criticism of his review. It was all based on how he uses a smartphone, and there are other user profiles out there.

If I were back doing what I was doing at the time I replaced my Centro, I would have gone with the Veer. Other than screen size, I think it's awesome and back then I never used my phone for web browsing so size would have been an advantage.

Once I'm carrying a tablet, I think I'll use my phone less for browsing, and the Veer will start to look desirable. Especially with the reports on much-improved battery life.

And by then, HP should have the bugs worked out of the code... I hope.
  15.    #15  
    But Josh isn't the target market they are after. I don't know if such a target market exists... but if it does it wouldn't include Josh. That's my big criticism of his review. It was all based on how he uses a smartphone, and there are other user profiles out there.

If I were back doing what I was doing at the time I replaced my Centro, I would have gone with the Veer. Other than screen size, I think it's awesome and back then I never used my phone for web browsing so size would have been an advantage.

Once I'm carrying a tablet, I think I'll use my phone less for browsing, and the Veer will start to look desirable. Especially with the reports on much-improved battery life.

And by then, HP should have the bugs worked out of the code... I hope.
    I dont understand why H/P keep shooting itself in leg, they need to make some thing revolutionary to kick start webOS, not something that is around. Even blackberry torch released last year has better resolution than veer. . The BlackBerry Bold 9650 offered 460 x 360 pixels on a non-touch, 2.4-inch screen a year ago.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    People keep mentioning the Centro, the Treo and so on. Um... Weren't those phones flops? Sure they attracted some users (just like the existing Pre phones have some users) but they didn't make much of a ripple in the marketplace.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Josh, Josh, Josh... He's clearly an iOS fan boy trying to convince us he's a webOS believer. Besides, two different markets. I'm pretty sure my sister would prefer the Veer in a heart beat put side to side with the iPhone. Any BB user around here, too, I'm pretty sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrewd View Post
    Josh, Josh, Josh... He's clearly an iOS fan boy trying to convince us he's a webOS believer.
    Really? I now know why threads get closed in this forum so often. SMH...
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Linger View Post
    People keep mentioning the Centro, the Treo and so on. Um... Weren't those phones flops? Sure they attracted some users (just like the existing Pre phones have some users) but they didn't make much of a ripple in the marketplace.
    Centro sold -5 million phones over its life time and it was called success. IP have sold over 90 million phones. Since centro was the highest selling Palm phone in recent history, they keep trying to emulate its success, but keep forgetting that was 2007 and this is 2011. Big mistake where things change in mobile market from announcement to delivery.
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    I also had the same question, which OP has. Josh point in his review were very relevant.
    1. Number of Apps are serious limitation, the problem compound itself when you can only use apps, which are meant for pixi so it reduces the apps catlog further.
    2. The headphone is seriously a deal breaker for many, if the headphone jack was pointed upward then down it would be better but right now it is not.
    3. Color is only 18bit and not 24bit, which is very noticeable.
    4. Microusb slot is essential now a days you can't expect a person to always carry his charger everywhere.
    5. Email point I think is very valid, HP should improve it by the time Pre 3 is released.

Points in favor of Veer
    1.It would be great companion for Touchpad but Touchpad is not released till now.
    2. Battery life is great atleast in comparison to Pre 2.

Btw I loved Josh review as it was the view from a non webos user.
    I was planning to buy veer but I am right now thinking about Pre 2 as it is unlocked and can be used any where in the world and not locked to AT&T.
    Last edited by KAPS; 05/10/2011 at 02:42 AM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast