View Poll Results: Can HPs $99 mini-phone tempt buyers away from the iPhone 3GS or cheaper Android off

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    22 37.29%
  • No

    31 52.54%
  • Maybe Veer-2

    2 3.39%
  • too early to say, will know when IP-4 becomes available for 50 dollars

    4 6.78%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43
  1. BBooDad's Avatar
    Posts
    406 Posts
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    #21  
    Can Veer beat other cheaper phones?

    YES!!!

    I just spent 3.5 hrs laboriousy upgrading my wife's Android Samsung Acclaim from aOS2.1 to 2.2. What a pain! Has a nice SD card that most apps ignre. Genius.... Not!

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    -
    - my webOS apps: Bishop Scores, EquiAnalgesia, EquiSteroidia, OB Tracker -
    - Missing webOS phones when I use my iPhone5 and iPad Mini. At least I have my TouchPad to web surf still! -
  2. JLegacy's Avatar
    Posts
    320 Posts
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrewd View Post
    Josh, Josh, Josh... He's clearly an iOS fan boy trying to convince us he's a webOS believer. Besides, two different markets. I'm pretty sure my sister would prefer the Veer in a heart beat put side to side with the iPhone. Any BB user around here, too, I'm pretty sure.
    I think he was a little too critical in his review, but in a lot of points he was spot on. The phone doesn't justify the pricetag when compared to other products, it should have been as close to free as possible on-contract.
    He also pointed out how it's kinda a pixi successor, but with a bad formfactor for the size requiring to sacrifice features.

    And your comment about him just being an iOS ****** comes off as idiotic if you follow his journalism. On twitter he said along the lines of 'Make fun of it all you want, but there's a special spot in my heart for webOS.'
    He's a webOS apologist, and at the february 9th event said 'This is probably going to be my next phone' when referring to the Pre 3.

    /endofrant

    Uh, but the only reasons to really get the Veer are the OS and size. Feature-wise it's lacking, and maybe if it was a revamped Pixi they could afford to have a better camera, LED flash, headphone jack, and microUSB port. But someone at Palm HQ (Ima guess Ruby) thought the Veer needs to be smaller than the already tiny Pixi.

    Let's hope HP has more phones and formfactors in the works, because I wouldn't bet money on the Veer doing well.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

    If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
  3. #23  
    I don't see how any one phone cat 'beat' the iPhone now so I voted 'no' but I hope (and believe) it can still be a great success.

    Sheer numbers mean it would take a minor miracle for any phone to outsell iPhone (at least in the next year or two) but there is plenty of scope for phones to build significant market share.
  4. #24  
    Veer couldn't stand a chance with Iphone 3G not to mention 3GS. It will have hard time to fight with standard Nokia S40 phone or Samsung feature-phone gamma, as they have more features important to "dumb phone" users than Veer, and only Veer's strong points (browser, flash, just type, synergy, card metaphore in generall) are brought to irrelevance by it's size. People seem to forget that cheap feature phones in general now days have great audio players with EQ and loudness settings, decent calendars, reliable alarm clocks, support for animated Giff's for screen background, basic today screens, and some have basic widgets. IM support, also, notifications on featurephones are decent with some cool animations on some. SMS support for receipts, easy customizing sound profiles with white-lists and black-list are still nonexistent in WebOS from 2009, but that features are common on all Nokia feature-phones and lots of other feature-phones.
    I was expecting from HP to customize WebOS for Veer, to introduce some cool gimmics at least if not some new cool features, but it was same old spartan WebOS with all shortcommigs as it was 2009.
    Shame
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    But Josh isn't the target market they are after. I don't know if such a target market exists... but if it does it wouldn't include Josh. That's my big criticism of his review. It was all based on how he uses a smartphone, and there are other user profiles out there.
    It all depends on how the person wants to use the phone. When my mom was forced to switch from Alltel to AT&T because of the Verizon buyout, she got a Blackberry. Why? My niece had the Weather Channel app on her Blackberry and my mom wanted to use it too. The only other use is to make calls and look at MMS photos that people send her. A Veer would have done the job, but it wasn't available at the time.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by KAPS View Post
    I also had the same question, which OP has. Josh point in his review were very relevant.
    1. Number of Apps are serious limitation, the problem compound itself when you can only use apps, which are meant for pixi so it reduces the apps catlog further.
    2. The headphone is seriously a deal breaker for many, if the headphone jack was pointed upward then down it would be better but right now it is not.
    3. Color is only 18bit and not 24bit, which is very noticeable.
    4. Microusb slot is essential now a days you can't expect a person to always carry his charger everywhere.
    5. Email point I think is very valid, HP should improve it by the time Pre 3 is released.

    Points in favor of Veer
    1.It would be great companion for Touchpad but Touchpad is not released till now.
    2. Battery life is great atleast in comparison to Pre 2.

    Btw I loved Josh review as it was the view from a non webos user.
    I was planning to buy veer but I am right now thinking about Pre 2 as it is unlocked and can be used any where in the world and not locked to AT&T.
    Veer is a great idea, just poorly executed.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Veer is a great idea, just poorly executed.
    Well, IMHO Pixi was great idea, just poorly executed. Veer is wrong conclusion.
  8. #28  
    Poorly executed is your *opinion* Don't forget that.

    And as the expression goes, they all stink!

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  9.    #29  
    They really killed off something great
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  10. #30  
    Veer will get some attention simply based on the fact thats its so different than any other smartphone out there...hard to say if it the attention it receives will be slightly below or above moderate...
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    Veer will get some attention simply based on the fact thats its so different than any other smartphone out there...hard to say if it the attention it receives will be slightly below or above moderate...
    Ruby should go to Samsung and we take their VP, that would fix things both ways.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  12. #32  
    I really think Ruby is Palm/HP worst problem, and they should get rid of him. Also, HP should keep the option of using web tech (along real programming) but hardware accelerated, the whole interface (LUNA) should be rewritten, or at least accelerated.
    Last edited by augustofretes; 05/11/2011 at 04:39 AM.
  13. #33  
    The Veer just isn't comparable to the iPhone and the larger cheap androids. They are completly seprate markets. The Veer isn't for those who would buy a big phone like an iphone.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    The Veer just isn't comparable to the iPhone and the larger cheap androids. They are completly seprate markets. The Veer isn't for those who would buy a big phone like an iphone.
    While I partially agree, by no possible standard the iPhone 3GS is a big phone, in fact:

    HP Veer: 54.5 mm x 84.0 mm x 15.1 mm = 69127.8 mm^3
    iPhone 3GS: 115.5 mm x 62.1 mm x 12.3 mm = 88222.365 mm^3

    The iPhone 3GS is just a mere 27% bigger than the HP veer, which isn't much considering the size of the Veer. In fact,

    iPhone 4: 115.2 mm x 58.66 mm x 9.3 mm = 62845.9776 mm^3
    Palm Pixi: 111 mm x 55 mm x 10.85 mm = 66239.25 mm^3

    is 4% smaller than the Veer, and the iPhone 4 is 9% smaller than it. The Veer form factor is just stupid (because of the compromises regarding ports).
    Last edited by augustofretes; 05/11/2011 at 12:43 AM.
  15. #35  
    I like the pixi form factor. If they wanted a small phone they should have done an all touchscreen pixi with the inards of a pre2 and a scalable resolution of mantaray?. That would have been something to talk about in the world of small phones, but it still would have most likely been shunned by the masses.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    The Veer just isn't comparable to the iPhone and the larger cheap androids. They are completly seprate markets. The Veer isn't for those who would buy a big phone like an iphone.
    It should be compared with feature-phones and with SE x10 mini/mini pro and SE X8.
  17. firebrewd's Avatar
    Posts
    72 Posts
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by augustofretes View Post
    While I partially agree, by no possible standard the iPhone 3GS is a big phone, in fact:

    HP Veer: 54.5 mm x 84.0 mm x 15.1 mm = 69127.8 mm^3
    iPhone 3GS: 115.5 mm x 62.1 mm x 12.3 mm = 88222.365 mm^3

    The iPhone 3GS is just a mere 27% bigger than the HP veer, which isn't much considering the size of the Veer. In fact,

    iPhone 4: 115.2 mm x 58.66 mm x 9.3 mm = 62845.9776 mm^3
    Palm Pixi: 111 mm x 55 mm x 10.85 mm = 66239.25 mm^3

    is 4% smaller than the Veer, and the iPhone 4 is 9% smaller than it. The Veer form factor is just stupid (because of the compromises regarding ports).
    I disagree. Form factor plays a bigger role than just dimensions. The Veer is way easier to carry. What'd you prefer in your pocket, a solid cube or a pebble, with the same mass?
  18.    #38  
    It may be a good phone for free like its available at best buy. Good move
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  19. RafRol's Avatar
    Posts
    544 Posts
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Man, just trying to think where H/P is going with Veer, trying to get into 1) Tiny phone market 2) cheap phone market 3) trying to lure dumbphone users into a tiny tiny smartphone 4) Trying to attract attention cause of the unimaginable design 5) or something else
    6) All of the above...
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrewd View Post
    I disagree. Form factor plays a bigger role than just dimensions. The Veer is way easier to carry. What'd you prefer in your pocket, a solid cube or a pebble, with the same mass?
    I didn't measure mass, certainly the Veer is slightly less heavy, but it isn't really that small, unless I'm confused and size is no longer measure as volume ^^'
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions