View Poll Results: What will Engadget rate Veer at?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10- (surely you are drunk)

0 0%
  • 9 (only fruits get them)

1 1.47%
  • 8 (Maybe like Samsung Galaxy II)

8 11.76%
  • 7 (hmmm reaching Palm quality)

18 26.47%
  • 6 (low end samrtphones)

25 36.76%
  • 5 (You are a disgust for being ever conceived)

8 11.76%
  • 1-4 (got to be kidding me)

4 5.88%
  • No review

4 5.88%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Off topic.. But I really thought my mouse was tripping, looking at your signature.
    Just making good use of the white space underneath my posts!

Hm slightly suprised by JT's passive aggressiveness aimed at the poor ickle Veer. Guess he just really wants HP to sort WebOS out before the Pre3 comes out (he said it's his next phone in an Engadget video at the Think Beyond event, assuming it is optimised beyond anything we've ever used).... Looking at his photos of the white Veer, I'm kinda looking forward to a white Pre 3 now...
    It pains me to say it, but Josh is spot on with his analysis of whats wrong with the Veer and WebOS.

The screen is just too small for viewing webpages efficiently. Maybe if the screen had a higher pixel density or it could reflow text the small size would be workable.

I'm hoping WebOS 3.0 brings a truly massive performance boost. And I'm starting to think that the Pre3 should skip 2.x completely and go straight for Enyo. Even if that means delaying the release beyond summer.
    Josh always had a problem with the email application so until they do something about that he will always harp on that.

I dont understand what he is referring to about too many steps to accomplish simple tasks.

I have to agree that at this point 2 years on, no apps should be taking too long to load, not with the competition out there.

After hearing on these forums about how fast the pre2 was I was surprised to find some apps taking as much as three pulses or whatever you call them to load, even to the point where I would wonder if it was going to fail to load. You would think by now they could figure out how to make ALL apps load in a reasonable amount of time. Most of them do.

As for the size, if you are going to have a phone that offers "true" web browsing as opposed to optimized browsing like we had with the blazer browser on the treo and centro, then it should be such that when a column is zoomed in it should be easily readable. I have never spent much time with a pixie which is suppose is the same screen size as the veer, but I suspect it could be wanting if one surfs the web a lot on the phone. I know sometimes with a pre2 I wish I had a little bigger screen, but its a trade off I can live with because I like the size in general.

As for the apps, either it is full featured phone than can do everything or its is not. Hp needs to decide. I don't know why its possible to scale up and not down.
    [QUOTE=kkhanmd;2957612]Josh says: " At the end of the day, there is nothing inspiring, exciting, or deeply original about the Veer 4G. As a webOS device, it underperforms the Pre 2. From a pure features and apps perspective, it
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I have never spent much time with a pixie which is suppose is the same screen size as the veer, but I suspect it could be wanting if one surfs the web a lot on the phone.
    It's simple really, isn't it? If you are buying a phone to browse the web, then the Veer is not for you. Not so?
    NNJ
    I'm so surprised to see how much poo-pooing the Veer is getting since the release date was announced. After CES, everyone who handled one had pretty upbeat reviews of it. Now, though...

Maybe since the demo devices were sent out & folks got to really use it (not under the blaring lights & music of CES) they're seeing the real nitty-gritty of everyday use.

I wonder, though, about Josh's review--especially where he said it was stuttery.

I remember when I first got my Pre it did the same thing as it got fully synced and "synergized". And I also remember how hot the hotpot would make the phone during the first week. Performance overall was not all that great. I was pretty dismayed at the whole experience. Then once things finally got synced and settled my Pre started cruising and now it flies (also thanks to Uberkernal).

So maybe it's a good thing that Engadget is holding off on a review.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    I wonder, though, about Josh's review--especially where he said it was stuttery.
    I don't know.. I have watched a LOAD of videos this weekend of people using/reviewing the Veer and haven't noticed anything close to "stuttery". Even in the long webOSRoundup videos I didn't detect any visual lag until they did that test to see how many apps they could load before it TMC'ed (turned out to be over 30 before the device showed any slowdown).

IMO Josh's review is 50/50 truth and personal frustration. I took his comments into consideration and weighed them against my real-world needs and the videos I've watched. Turns out his opinion will not sway me from buying a Veer.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    It pains me to say it, but Josh is spot on with his analysis of whats wrong with the Veer and WebOS.

The screen is just too small for viewing webpages efficiently. Maybe if the screen had a higher pixel density or it could reflow text the small size would be workable.

I'm hoping WebOS 3.0 brings a truly massive performance boost. And I'm starting to think that the Pre3 should skip 2.x completely and go straight for Enyo. Even if that means delaying the release beyond summer.
    I diagree, I think they really need to get pre-3 out followed by a 4 inch slab soon.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    I think they sent it to Josh by mistake, lol. If you notice in his review, he has both a black & white unit.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    I think they sent it to Josh by mistake, lol. If you notice in his review, he has both a black & white unit.
    Engadget still doesnt have a review
    They're probably busy scouring developer forums to find catastrophic bugs to accidentally run into in the review video and finding a 85 year old Parkinsons victim to make a few pictures with the Veer to compare them to iPhone pictures shot from a tripod (I loved their review of the N8 where its head-and-shoulders superior camera was shaken into making terrible pictures while every other news source gave it the praise it properly deserved, whether or not they liked Symbian)

I'll be surprised if it gets more than a 4. I won't be surprised if it gets less than your average KIRF made in an Afghani cave.

They'll say the OS is great but nobody should buy it because nobody is buying it. They'll say it's too small to be properly used. They might even say it's bigger than an iPod nano, which is the perfect size. And like their former editor, they'll make a video that shows the Veer speedily speeding along while their voice-over will try to convince people that their eyes are lying ("well, this opened quickly enough... but trust me, it's slow!" -- Joshua Topolsky).
    They'll say that webOS took too long to incorporate other platform's features, and that nobody should have to wait on a company if others already offer a feature... and follow it up by saying that if you just wait about half a year, Android and iPhone will probably have incorporated some of webOS' new features, and that it'll be totally worth it.
    They'll say nobody should want it because it doesn't have an LED flash (and not mention that the Galaxy S, which everybody likes a lot, doesn't have one either.) They'll say it doesn't have a standard port (and not mention how much they have praised Apple's nonstandard proprietary magnetic cable at every turn).

I wish they would prove me right, but I'm not optimistic. In fact I can even imagine that they're going to outright ignore the device and not review it at all.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    They're probably busy scouring developer forums to find catastrophic bugs to accidentally run into in the review video and finding a 85 year old Parkinsons victim to make a few pictures with the Veer to compare them to iPhone pictures shot from a tripod (I loved their review of the N8 where its head-and-shoulders superior camera was shaken into making terrible pictures while every other news source gave it the praise it properly deserved, whether or not they liked Symbian)

I'll be surprised if it gets more than a 4. I won't be surprised if it gets less than your average KIRF made in an Afghani cave.

They'll say the OS is great but nobody should buy it because nobody is buying it. They'll say it's too small to be properly used. They might even say it's bigger than an iPod nano, which is the perfect size. And like their former editor, they'll make a video that shows the Veer speedily speeding along while their voice-over will try to convince people that their eyes are lying ("well, this opened quickly enough... but trust me, it's slow!" -- Joshua Topolsky).
    They'll say that webOS took too long to incorporate other platform's features, and that nobody should have to wait on a company if others already offer a feature... and follow it up by saying that if you just wait about half a year, Android and iPhone will probably have incorporated some of webOS' new features, and that it'll be totally worth it.
    They'll say nobody should want it because it doesn't have an LED flash (and not mention that the Galaxy S, which everybody likes a lot, doesn't have one either.) They'll say it doesn't have a standard port (and not mention how much they have praised Apple's nonstandard proprietary magnetic cable at every turn).

I wish they would prove me right, but I'm not optimistic. In fact I can even imagine that they're going to outright ignore the device and not review it at all.
    I love the way you talk!
    NNJ
  13.    #33  
    I think they never got the review unit, Josh got both of them,
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Engadget just posted their review...

6/10

About what we all expected. You don't get a good review from Engadget unless you're a product from a certain company headquartered in Cupertino, CA.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Oh I didn't see the actual score. The written review was actually mostly positive imo. They didn't like the camera or the app catalog which are both understandable. The only other con was the small size which I agree isn't fair to knock a phone for something that only has to do with your preferences. But aside from that, I thought it was a fair and accurate review. It didn't read negatively enough to me to equate to a 6/10. I would've guessed a 7 or 8.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmarsden View Post

6/10

About what we all expected. You don't get a good review from Engadget unless you're a product from a certain company headquartered in Cupertino, CA.
    actually i think it was a pretty fair review. it's pretty much in line with all the other reviews out there for this device.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmarsden View Post

6/10

If you read the review itself, it was a very shake at the device. I definitely enjoyed the review. The number score itself is not important to me, as I've said in another thread. I personally believe that a rating between 3-8 would be fair. A device like the Veer is very hard to judge with a single number rating, that's why the worded review is so important. And I think Engadget did a great job with that.
    I think 6 is about fair, 7 in the best case scenario. Anything more is just day dreaming. I think Endadget review was the best of the bunch (in terms of fairness), even when they only gave the Veer one more point than Joshua.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12