Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone have information as to the GPS functionality of the Veer? Did HP fix it (i.e. does it work without using GPS Fix)? If not, it's a deal breaker for me and I would not expect it to work in the Pre3 either.
    there was never an issue on the gps for at&t phones, so you can expect the veer gps to work very well.

it was only an issue on verizon and that seems to be resolved on the Pre2 and those that have updated the pre+ to 2.x
  3.    #3  
    I have updated my Pre+ to 2.1 and it is still very much an issue. Thanks for the info re: VZ vs. Others but I still have to use GPS fix to make it work at all.

Could I have a hardware problem?
    what carrier?
  5.    #5  
    Verizon
    my pre+ is on 1.4.5 and the gps seems to work by using one of the homebrew fixes. Someone with 2.1 on their pre+ will have to speak to that.

but my pre2 gps works perfectly.

and there hasn't been an issue with any other carrier so you can Expect the Veer gps to work correctly since it is only for gsm carriers.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    There is no aGPS on the VZ Pre 2... So you need line of sight for it to even have a remote chance of working... *very* frustrating!
    Quote Originally Posted by ieko View Post
    There is no aGPS on the VZ Pre 2... So you need line of sight for it to even have a remote chance of working... *very* frustrating!
    where did you read this? I don't have any issues with my vzw pre2.

Directly from the Pre2 listing on the VZW site:
    "Assisted & Standalone GPS"
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/08/2011 at 09:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    where did you read this? I don't have any issues with my vzw pre2.
    I read this too, I think it was in the GPS fix thread, or some other Verizon GPS frustration thread.

I haven't paid any attention to it, I'll see if it works later this week.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

...and the OP in this thread is asking about the Veer, which is AT&T, which should work perfectly and there should be no concern!
    Time to warm up this thread again.

My Veer can't get a GPS location. I'm using an unlocked AT&T white Veer on China Unicom. Have tried to use Google Maps and other sports Apps but none could get my location. I turned on the location service and allowed the apps to locate my location. But I only get error messages such as "GPS permanent Error" (from the Smart Runner Pro App).

Is there any known issue that the GPS function does not work outside certain networks? Why would an unlocked phone have a problem with the GPS?

And, is there any way to fix this? What can I do or install to make the GPS work?

Thank you for any help that you can offer about this problem!!
    @Nightfish

I would recommend trying opening and closing the apps a couple times that usually does the trick.

Also another thing that helps is to make sure you are outside under the sky, not in a car, etc. If you are in a car put the phone on your front window dashboard when first opening apps for a good little bit of time (while not moving).

I usually open 2 or more GPS apps, and close one then re-open it until signal is connected.

Another thing that might work is turning on geotag photo in the location services app. Possibly take a photo or two, on top of running some of the GPS apps.
    @Nightfish

My Veer GPS has never worked. It's very rare for me to get a lock, but when I do it always "finds" me about 1000km off the coast of Japan in the ocean. I'm actually in Sydney, Australia.

I found an app called "GPS Fix" that seems to continually query the GPS until it gets some kind of lock. It also provides signal strength and other stuff so I'd recommend giving that a go...
    ---
    Zire -> Treo650 -> iPhone -> Veer
    Nightfish, just to cover all the bases, have you tried getting a GPS fix with another device? We've had some heavy solar activity lately that might cause some headaches for GPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by mellowfellow View Post
    My Veer GPS has never worked. It's very rare for me to get a lock, but when I do it always "finds" me about 1000km off the coast of Japan in the ocean. I'm actually in Sydney, Australia.
    In case you haven't already done so, turn off Google Services in the Location Services settings. Having this enabled will cause WebOS devices physically located in the southern hemisphere to report bogus locations. I expect I'll be in a casket before this bug is fixed.

As for seeing what data is being returned, my preferred tool is SimpleGPS. An example of a GPS fix at Narrabri:

-- Hendikins (who is also using a Veer in Sydney, Australia)
    I've raised a bug internally as the WiFi TouchPad has the issue as well, seeing it doesn't have a GPS chip it is very noticeable.

Longitude: 150.95755E
    Latitude: 395.79230N
    Accuracy: 31.00 m
    Altitude: 0.00 m +/- 0.00 m
    Heading: 0
    Velocity: 0.00 m/s
    Timestamp: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 03:02:54 GMT

That's from today, in Sydney.

Regards,
    Shane.
    I've been told this bug will be fixed in the next OTA update. Since I first reported it over two years ago, I'll believe that when I see it.

-- Rod
    FischOderAal likes this.
    Wow, thanks for all the replies and suggestions! You guys are great.

Unfortunately it's still not working. I tried opening and closing and also installed GPS Fix. I don't have any other device with GPS inside, so I couldn't check if it's just because of a sunstorm.

I hope that Rod is right and that it can be fixed with the next OTA update (which will also help to finally connect the Veer to the Touchpad). Now the big question remains: when will the update come? ;-)
    i have this same problem. I can live without a lot of things, but google maps I need - I could also do with a satnav for australia !!!

I'm a veer user too. Two days in and there's lots I like about this phone, but a there a few bugs that are deal breakers for me.
    My GPS is working phew ...

Had jogstats, google maps, and gpsfix all running.

Excellent. Takes a few mins to get a decent lock (as shown by jog stats).
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast