Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41
Like Tree1Likes
  1. #21  
    Sorry to bring back a slightly older topic, but found some help with my GPS issues on the HP Veer. If anyone else is running into a problem getting location data for applications, make sure that data roaming is on. Couldn't get GPS to work at all until I enabled data roaming.

    I was also wondering if anyone knows if leaving GPS on can greatly affect battery life, or if it only turns on when an application needs to use it. Even with the option in the drop down from the top of the phone it is kind of annoying to kick on and off and I would prefer not to if I don't have to.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by samoht9 View Post
    Sorry to bring back a slightly older topic, but found some help with my GPS issues on the HP Veer. If anyone else is running into a problem getting location data for applications, make sure that data roaming is on. Couldn't get GPS to work at all until I enabled data roaming.

    I was also wondering if anyone knows if leaving GPS on can greatly affect battery life, or if it only turns on when an application needs to use it. Even with the option in the drop down from the top of the phone it is kind of annoying to kick on and off and I would prefer not to if I don't have to.
    I do not have a option to switch on or off GPS (Veer in Europe). Or I am too dumb to see it.
    In Preware there is a patch GPS & GoogleMaps. Idea is to turn GPS on when launching GM and turning off when closing GM.

    But I also wondering if GPS always on such an profund idea.

    LK
  3. #23  
    From what I know and experience, keeping the GPS chip on has no discernable difference on battery life. In fact, I think the GPS chip isn't even being used unless an application calls for it. So, if you have no GPS apps running in the background, it should be all good. I've never turned my GPS off and my battery life is excellent.

    Also, as a side note, when I use Smartrunner with the screen off it only drains about 10% an hour.
  4. #24  
    My gps does not work.. turning on the gps does nothing, lol. Tried to see what the issue is with gpsinfo, but the app never gets any data...Anyone have the same issue?
  5. #25  
    at least about Houston, my Veer's GPS has been outstanding
    it is a plain vanilla Veer on ATT network
    far superior to what I had from my Pre (original Sprint mode)
    haven't yet ventured out with it much yet
  6. #26  
    My gps worked great on att. Since unlocking and going over to tmo it's sucked. Don't think I'm getting any agps but if I'm out under a clear sky I do usually get a lock.
  7. #27  
    Veer GPS on Att works flawlessly.
    Had a Pre on Sprint and that worked good too but I would sometimes have to do a restart to get it working.
    WebOS used to be great! 👎

    Pre, Veer and now iPhone. Since HP killed WebOS.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by vabs0 View Post
    My gps does not work.. turning on the gps does nothing, lol. Tried to see what the issue is with gpsinfo, but the app never gets any data...Anyone have the same issue?
    My GPS has never worked either..tried all the suggestions here. Very odd.
  9. #29  
    I just talked to webos butler, tried to troubleshoot gps functioning.
    Basically if you have edge or 2g data network it may not work.
    Or if you switched away from att, your carrier has to support having that function with your phone.
  10. #30  
    I usually find I need 3G to get GPS to work. I think, similar to iphone, it uses your data signal to assist in the GPS local i.e. celluar network lock first. In fact are these phones true GPS or assisted-GPS?

    Second thing, somene posted a method to use GPS fix to get a quick lock. This always works for me. Open up GPS fix, click on the menu button (top left), then click on the three options in an order. I randomly do it and generally it works quickly. Also I dont use the "use google to assist in location based" option in the location services menu.

    Hope that helps everyone, I'm in Australia too and am using Jogstats and Navit quite regularly.
  11. #31  
    these are all a-gps, according to the webos butler guy, all webos phones need data network to work. meaning there is no true gps webos phone. if you go to a place that has no 3g you are outta luck..
  12. #32  
    Read this post. Hope this helpful.

    http://www.precentral.net/get-gps-fix
  13. #33  
    ATT White Veer on Bell Mobility.

    I tried every suggestion in this thread and couldn't get any response from #*GPS#

    I finally went into Location Services, enabled Google Services, disabled GS and it now works.
  14. JoZ3's Avatar
    Posts
    7 Posts
    #34  
    I try to do everything but my GPS does not work in any form, in location services I don't see any option to change all is blank
  15. #35  
    I have used my veer 2.1.2 with data and WiFi off, no sim in it. I use preGo GPS app from MetaView to send GPS data over bluetooth to my touchpad. Worked great!
  16. JoZ3's Avatar
    Posts
    7 Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    I have used my veer 2.1.2 with data and WiFi off, no sim in it. I use preGo GPS app from MetaView to send GPS data over bluetooth to my touchpad. Worked great!
    But is not supposed to veer has a-GPS?
  17. #37  
    I doctored my veer and the GPS has been working consistently.

    -- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by JoZ3 View Post
    But is not supposed to veer has a-GPS?
    It works for me as long as I'm outside or in the car. In a building I get nothing.


    edit: stuck my veer in the window. It's currently got no sim, WiFi off, Bluetooth on, locate using google services unchecked, locate using GPS checked. It's sending GPS data to my TP. It took 5 mins to get the initial fix.

    My only problem with my ATT veer is every reboot puts google maps back on and removes the bing maps.
    Last edited by frantid; 03/10/2012 at 07:09 AM.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

    Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
  19. #39  
    I tried GPS today on 2.2.3 and it seems to work fine Does anyone know of an app I could just while sporting to keep track of how many km/miles I trained already?
  20. benh's Avatar
    Posts
    102 Posts
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    only problem with my ATT veer is every reboot puts google maps back on and removes the bing maps.
    open Internalz pro in master mode, go to /usr/palm/applications and delete the folder com.palm.apps.maps (or something like that) and reboot.
    Ben
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions