Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    There has been a lot of talk (complaints) about the fancy little magnetic headphone jack on the Veer. I have thought of one situation where it would be preferable to a standard connection.

I utilize my phone (currently Pixi+) as the music player in my car. I do this by connecting it to the car stereo utilizing the headphone jack. More than once my phone gets stuck in the headphone mode. The magnetic connection (I believe) would be more consistent (less risky) than constantly plugging and unplugging from the headphone jack itself.
    I find both adaptors convenient, where in a low light situation you don't have see where you're trying to plug in either. Simply place them approximately where the connector is and it just connects.
    Yes they definitely need a car charger dock that clicks onto the side port!

Just have a quality headset jack like every other device out there. It's not an issue on any other devices.

Now you will be able to trade headset problems for battery woes, hurrah.

I like the idea of a magnet connection if every HP device starts to use one. Until then you have a proprietary plug that is so to only one hp device -- rubish

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  4.    #4  
    You are correct. I have only had the headphone jack problem with my Pixi+. I utilized my LG Env3 to listen to music prior and never had an issue. Hopefully, this will be corrected with better quality hardware.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    In case nobody saw it, have a look at this video and just check the size of that plug and jack to the phone! The jack is like half the size of the phone alone!
    SMH...the Veer is being marketed as Tiny! To get the Tiny, you have to be innovative. The adapter is innovative!
    I repeat myself!
    If you don't like the way the STANDARD ports are implemented on this phone, it's NOT for you. But that doesn't make it rubbish, or stupid.
    ENOUGH with the adapter posts please, it's beginning to get on my nerves. Haven't we already argued enough about it?
    Moderators, how about you creating a sub-forum in the off topic and label it: Veer adapter haters, or Veer haters here and let them have a go at it there?
    I'm off to smoke a cigarette.
    NNJ
    I just thought about it and it might not be too bad to have an adapter like this, since the most frustrating thing about headphone jacks over time is if they start to get loose at all it kills the audio quality and there are pops, etc. I know on my old BB and on my wife's Pixi if I move the cable around it will go to speaker mode or just pop like crazy.

If the headphone adapter for a Veer ever got 'worn' out you could just chuck it and pick up a different new one that will have a better fit, instead of having it be internal to the phone and stuck with it.

Another interesting idea is if someone put out a set of earbuds/headphones (HP Beats by Dre?) with a mag connector on the end of the cord instead of a regular headphone jack, so it would just connect right to the Veer and be seamless.

One more thing... Will we see this type of connector on a Pre 3? If HP wanted to make this their 'iPod dock connector' then it would have to be standardized in some regard... think they'll go down that road or will the Veer be a one-and-done for the mag connector?
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    I believe Precentral mentioned how once you stuck the 3.5mm jack into the adapter, it would never come out.
    So just leave the adapter on the end of your headphones.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    I just thought about it and it might not be too bad to have an adapter like this, since the most frustrating thing about headphone jacks over time is if they start to get loose at all it kills the audio quality and there are pops, etc. I know on my old BB and on my wife's Pixi if I move the cable around it will go to speaker mode or just pop like crazy.

If the headphone adapter for a Veer ever got 'worn' out you could just chuck it and pick up a different new one that will have a better fit, instead of having it be internal to the phone and stuck with it.

Another interesting idea is if someone put out a set of earbuds/headphones (HP Beats by Dre?) with a mag connector on the end of the cord instead of a regular headphone jack, so it would just connect right to the Veer and be seamless.

One more thing... Will we see this type of connector on a Pre 3? If HP wanted to make this their 'iPod dock connector' then it would have to be standardized in some regard... think they'll go down that road or will the Veer be a one-and-done for the mag connector?
    Only the Veer will have the magnetic adapter. The Pre3 comes with micro USB and 3.5mm standard inputs.
    But after years with my Treo 650, having non-standard charger/USB cable is not a deal breaker for me.
    NNJ
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    I believe Precentral mentioned how once you stuck the 3.5mm jack into the adapter, it would never come out.
    So just leave the adapter on the end of your headphones.
    I think I'm gonna get a Veer, and this is what I plan to do. I have two hard connections I want to make (headphones and aux jack). I'll buy a second adapter (I really hope those are for sale) and just leave them in place. That will actually make the connections even easier to make. I can actually convince myself this is a positive if I work at it a little bit.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Yes they definitely need a car charger dock that clicks onto the side port!
    I hadn't thought about this until I read your post but I really like this idea, especially if they can get the music app and a nav app that work in landscape mode, it'd be perfect.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    The Pixi headphone jack is broken. Palm should have fixed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by libray View Post
    The Pixi headphone jack is broken. Palm should have fixed it.
    How and why is it broken?

If your phone is experiencing a defect it's your responsibility to have it repaired we are not going to come hunt you down and ask you if it's not working.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    I wonder how many of you rowing about the magnetic connector thing ever used the Treo phones? Perhaps you would remember what kind of charging and USB connectors it used?
    NNJ
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    How and why is it broken?

If your phone is experiencing a defect it's your responsibility to have it repaired we are not going to come hunt you down and ask you if it's not working.

Let me elaborate. This thread speaks of the magnetic adapter. Apparently, Palm sought to do away with problems the Pixi had by introducing the mag adapter instead of fixing the design of the pockettable 3.5mm jack that was in the Pixi.

But this worries me. If you speak for the company, and the company is aware of a design flaw, you mean to tell me that it was never an intent to fix the flaw in later models? That is good business?
    With now my second headphone port starting to bite the dust (crackling noise and occasionally stops my music player if I bump my headphone plug) just a few months I put a new one in, I'm actually starting to warm up to the idea of these adapters. I plug and unplug it multiple times daily, when I get to work I unplug my headphones and use it at as a phone, and while on the subway I plug the headphones in for entertainment. I also plug it in to my car's Aux. The quality of these jacks are just pathetic and starts wearing down so quickly. I only put this jack in a few months ago.

These magnetic connectors have no mechanical spring to wear out like regular 3.5 jacks do.

I'm OK with this, provided these magnetic adapters are widely available for a reasonable price, of course.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    I wonder how many of you rowing about the magnetic connector thing ever used the Treo phones? Perhaps you would remember what kind of charging and USB connectors it used?
    I was happy to do away with the proprietary connector for my Treo 755p. The new phones introduced that as a pro in terms of usability over the old line.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    With now my second headphone port starting to bite the dust (crackling noise and occasionally stops my music player if I bump my headphone plug) just a few months I put a new one in, I'm actually starting to warm up to the idea of these adapters. I plug and unplug it multiple times daily, when I get to work I unplug my headphones and use it at as a phone, and while on the subway I plug the headphones in for entertainment. I also plug it in to my car's Aux. The quality of these jacks are just pathetic and starts wearing down so quickly. I only put this jack in a few months ago.

These magnetic connectors have no mechanical spring to wear out like regular 3.5 jacks do.

I'm OK with this, provided these magnetic adapters are widely available for a reasonable price, of course.
    So what happens when you lose the adapter? Which is very easy to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    I'll keep it attached to my car's AUX cable, and have another attached to my headphones. So far I haven't lost my headphones yet.

That's why I said the key is, the adapters must be reasonably priced.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    If you keep it attached to your headset, you have to lose the entire headset to lose the adapter.
    NNJ
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    hopefully they will be widely available for low cost, and hopefully palm will send them to anyone that asks - as they previously did with battery and headset problems.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast