Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Package a touchstone with the device.

I still dont understand that after 2 years, the Touchstones are accessories. To me, it seems like a great selling point that would differentiate the device from others.

Plus, with the Veer, it would solve peoples complaints of "cant charge and listen to music at the same time"

No brainer.
    Good point. I think that they would be loosing to much money is they did, and thats why they haven't done that yet. But I do completely agree that they should do so.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    and then manufacture a car touchstone for people who want to listen, charge, and drive?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    and then manufacture a car touchstone for people who want to listen, charge, and drive?
    you say this like it is a bad thing. I have a car touchstone, its not that hard for me to make, HP should make it.

And that doesnt have to be an included feature, when you buy a car charger it doesnt come with a phone in the first place.

I love how people diss the old school tech of the Veer, then complain in the same breath that they cant plug in headphones or a charger cable.

You dont like an old school tech phone, but you are willing to buy an old school tech pair of headphones, or an old school tech car radio.

...soo 2003

Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    you say this like it is a bad thing. I have a car touchstone, its not that hard for me to make, HP should make it.

And that doesnt have to be an included feature, when you buy a car charger it doesnt come with a phone in the first place.

I love how people diss the old school tech of the Veer, then complain in the same breath that they cant plug in headphones or a charger cable.

You dont like an old school tech phone, but you are willing to buy an old school tech pair of headphones, or an old school tech car radio.

...soo 2003

its just that the "new school" tech isnt always practical. you forget yor charger, crash at a friends house. screwed cause he/she doesnt have a touchstone/magnetic charger attachment. you want to listen to padora while, forgot to charge your blue tooth headphones. screwed cause you didnt bring your wierd connector.

i think the veer is a neat device, but i can see why people would be put off by some of the shortcuts taken
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    I think this thread has been badly named. I disagree that the Veer has a charging/music problem.
    For those insisting on as mentioned above, the old school way of wires, if you know you will be going to listen to music in the car (it's illegal in my country to be driving with headsets in your ears) make sure the phone is charged before you get in the car.
    I'm trying hard here to imagine a need to have both connected simultaneously at home or at work.
    For those who keep getting screwed at their friends' homes, most popular phones come with proprietary charging connectors, so if your friend didn't have a similar phone, you'd still be getting screwed some more, Veer or not.
    This phone boasts, and reviews are showing, that it probably has the best in battery life around out there. 5 hours talk time, 300 hours standby?! Dumb phones don't even boast that!
    NNJ
    Touchstones are so cheap now through Amazon, everybody ought to have one. It would be genius for HP to bundle the TS with the Veer, but accessories are one way the manufacturers make money. So this won't happen.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Touchstones are so cheap now through Amazon, everybody ought to have one. It would be genius for HP to bundle the TS with the Veer, but accessories are one way the manufacturers make money. So this won't happen.
    I agree. For a while, some outlets were selling the Touchstone & car chargers for something like $9.99. I am not sure why we think we expect & deserve everything for free. It cost money to develop, produce, & put these products to market--I have seen Touchstones very reasonably priced.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    I think this thread has been badly named. I disagree that the Veer has a charging/music problem.
    For those insisting on as mentioned above, the old school way of wires, if you know you will be going to listen to music in the car (it's illegal in my country to be driving with headsets in your ears) make sure the phone is charged before you get in the car.
    I'm trying hard here to imagine a need to have both connected simultaneously at home or at work.
    For those who keep getting screwed at their friends' homes, most popular phones come with proprietary charging connectors, so if your friend didn't have a similar phone, you'd still be getting screwed some more, Veer or not.
    This phone boasts, and reviews are showing, that it probably has the best in battery life around out there. 5 hours talk time, 300 hours standby?! Dumb phones don't even boast that!
    it would be useful to charge and use the headphone jack in the car if you want to use your cars auxiliary port to play your music/navigation through the cars speaker. It would also make sense at home or work if you want to, you know, not have your phone die while you're listening to the music on it...

also

most SMARTPHONES do not come with proprietary chargers, they come with micro-usb chargers, as do various other electronic devices.
    I think HP would make a lot more money if they packaged one Touchstone with each phone. Most people that have one end up buying a few more once they begin enjoying the convenience.

My coworkers never bought one until I gave them one and within a few weeks they had each purchased a few.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I think HP would make a lot more money if they packaged one Touchstone with each phone. Most people that have one end up buying a few more once they begin enjoying the convenience.

My coworkers never bought one until I gave them one and within a few weeks they had each purchased a few.
    Not just that, but when trying to promote a fledgling OS into an ecosystem, you can't expect people to buy accessories as an afterthought.

Rather, you have to wow them at first glance, and a phone sporting "wireless" charging out of the box would increase the wow factor and differentiation from another particularly popular smartphone ecosystem.

Bottom line, the fact that WebOS has an entire section (Exhibition) that relies on a user to buy a peripheral (touchstone) for it to work is just laughable, when you already are having a hard enough time convincing people to buy the phone in the first place.
    I just wish they'd include a touchstone with every veer and make the issue go away. Not everyone will buy one, but everyone that has a touchstone loves it.
  13.    #13  
    They should actually do it as an afterthought now:

"Buy a new HP Veer for $99 on At&t and get a FREE touchstone charging dock!"

Oooo...free!

That crap works so much on As Seen On TV garbage all the time its bound to sell more phones.

Oooo...free!

That crap works so much on As Seen On TV garbage all the time its bound to sell more phones.
    I feel as if they might have done this with the launch of the Pre+ or the Pixi+

Oooo...free!

Call now, within the next 10 minutes, and we'll give you TWO Touchstones for FREE

and what's wrong with slapchop anyway? lol
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    You know, I never really thought about it, but everyone calling for the TS to be included is spot on. It's one of the few remaining "oh wow!" differentiators for webOS devices that can be explained in one short sentence, and it should be exploited as such, instead of sold as an accessory.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    How about if they include the Touchstone, but the price is $109 vs $99? Would that make a difference to anyone or do you think that price point is too high?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    How about if they include the Touchstone, but the price is $109 vs $99? Would that make a difference to anyone or do you think that price point is too high?
    Consumers are stupid. $109 vs $99 would therefore be a show-stopper. "It's a whole 'nuther hundrit, after all!"
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Neither HP nor Palm has, as far as I can recall, laid out any free hardware to solve any perceived problem. The purpose of accessories such as the Touchstone is to make significant profits from people who are willing to buy outrageously-priced custom accessories.
    Recall harder

Palm Pre Plus Arriving on AT&T May 16th with Free Touchstone Charger - SlashGear
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Neither HP nor Palm has, as far as I can recall, laid out any free hardware to solve any perceived problem. The purpose of accessories such as the Touchstone is to make significant profits from people who are willing to buy outrageously-priced custom accessories.
    For some companies this might be true, but at this point (and the past 2 years) there is not a big enough market for the TouchStone due to a low user base.

HP should be using these types of accesories to make their product more attractive as opposed to hoping for 'significant' profit.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast