Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    With the release of the Veer about a week away I find it odd that there are no mentions of the new location aware Touchstones. I can't imagine HP would have a brand new device released with an old accessory, only to update it over the summer.

Thoughts?
    the "next" touchstone is what will come with the touchpad.

for now, it's the same touchstone we've always had.
    cantaffordit is incorrect. The new Touchstones are, in fact, location aware. The coils inside talk to the pre3 and veer. You can program your device to exhibit different behaviors depending on which touchstone it is on.
    Last edited by blue duck butter; 05/06/2011 at 04:33 PM.
    and I would bet they'll announce those along with the pre3.
    Ah, but hold on a second. The old TouchStones also talked to the phone as well. You can see it in the FCC filings for the TouchStone backs for the original Pre and the Pixi. There were separate FCC filings for the TouchStone backs for these phones because the TouchStone backs were not included with the phones--you had to buy them separately. In the FCC filings for the original TouchStone backs, there is a mention of a 3.1MHz frequency that is used to communicate between the TouchStone and the phone. Presumably, the phone would talk to the TouchStone to tell it when it was time to shut off. But it also mentions that a "handshake" would occur between the TouchStone and the phone. It is not unreasonable to assume that the handshake would include a unique device ID for the TouchStone.

Here is the exact wording from the FCC test report for the Pre's TouchStone back:

5.5 MODE(S) OF OPERATION

When the accessory cover is approximately within 0.2 mm of, and properly aligned with, the base the transmitters on both the base and the cover will operate.

The base provides power for charging the battery and for operating the radio devices in both the base and the cover.
    Personally, I believe that the only difference between the new and the old TouchStone will be the substitution of the HP logo for the Palm logo.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    let me clarify my comments.

the only "new" touchstone that has been announced is the one built in to the stand that comes with the touchpad.

there has been discussion of a "next generation." touchstone but it hasn't been announced. It is supposed to have some sort of unique identifier, like a mac address, so that the phone can configure to location - like desk/car/kitchen as we do today with Mode Switcher.

whatever this "Touchstone" is, it hasn't been announced yet.
    they announced it Feb. 9th. They said it was a new generation of touchstone and that it would uniquely identify so you can use custom settings for each one.
    well they didnt announce the device, they just went as far to discuss it I would say. But they have said it is coming, a touchstone with unique identifiers as stated by posters before me.

It is coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Ah, but hold on a second. The old TouchStones also talked to the phone as well. You can see it in the FCC filings for the TouchStone backs for the original Pre and the Pixi. There were separate FCC filings for the TouchStone backs for these phones because the TouchStone backs were not included with the phones--you had to buy them separately. In the FCC filings for the original TouchStone backs, there is a mention of a 3.1MHz frequency that is used to communicate between the TouchStone and the phone. Presumably, the phone would talk to the TouchStone to tell it when it was time to shut off. But it also mentions that a "handshake" would occur between the TouchStone and the phone. It is not unreasonable to assume that the handshake would include a unique device ID for the TouchStone.

Here is the exact wording from the FCC test report for the Pre's TouchStone back:

Personally, I believe that the only difference between the new and the old TouchStone will be the substitution of the HP logo for the Palm logo.
    this means that the backs have not changed since the origial units. this doesnt mean the old touchstones are able to communicate with the phone, just that the backs are future proof.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post
    well they didnt announce the device, they just went as far to discuss it I would say. But they have said it is coming, a touchstone with unique identifiers as stated by posters before me.

It is coming.
    They did have 'HP' branded Touchstones all over the event, which to my knowledge has not been released. I was under the assumption that these would be the 'next generation' location aware Touchstones, but have not really been mentioned in a few months.

I personally would be pi$$ed off if I were new to webOS and bought a Veer and was excited about accessories and bought a Touchstone or two, only to have a more capable one released in a month or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I personally would be pi$$ed off if I were new to webOS and bought a Veer and was excited about accessories and bought a Touchstone or two, only to have a more capable one released in a month or two.
    Welcome to technology cycles... It works this way.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    this means that the backs have not changed since the origial units. this doesnt mean the old touchstones are able to communicate with the phone, just that the backs are future proof.
    We'll see when the HP-logo'd TouchStones are released. I'm going to go ahead and wager that they will be exactly the same as the old TouchStones, and that no new capability will be needed. In other words, the old TouchStones should be able to handle location awareness. Someone put a Veer on an old TouchStone and find out already!
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    All I care about is the old Touchstones work with the new HP phones.

I have 8 Touchstones for me, the wife, kids, home, car, office, you name it. If I have to eat them, I'm gone from WebOS and a Palm/HP relationship that began seven years ago.
    That would taste horrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    We'll see when the HP-logo'd TouchStones are released. I'm going to go ahead and wager that they will be exactly the same as the old TouchStones, and that no new capability will be needed. In other words, the old TouchStones should be able to handle location awareness. Someone put a Veer on an old TouchStone and find out already!
    My understanding is the new touchstones ave an additional coil which allows wireless data transfer. Until they're out though that's just speculation.

I'm sure old TS's will charge new hardware, I doubt they'll recognize them individually though.
    I've done a bit more investigating on this issue. If you look in the FCC report for the Pre3, when they tested the inductive charging feature, the FCC-ID of the equipment they used to perform the test was O8F-TST1. This is the FCC-ID of the original TouchStone charger, with Palm's FCC manufacturer code O8F instead of HP's B94. Couple that with the fact that an FCC-ID has not been generated for a newer version of the TouchStone, and I am still fairly certain that the only change with the newer TouchStone will be the logo.

Here is the page from the FCC report for the Pre3:

Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    They did have 'HP' branded Touchstones all over the event, which to my knowledge has not been released. I was under the assumption that these would be the 'next generation' location aware Touchstones, but have not really been mentioned in a few months.
    I definitely remember at least some of them them being branded "Palm" on the Think Beyond video. I was going to point it out as lots of people commented on the complete lack of Palm branding. Some didn't have any branding at all, but I think these were photoshopped slides.
    So there are some new Veers out there, obviously. Has anyone used any of the location aware features yet? And if so, who will be the first to put one on an old TouchStone and see if it works?
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeks1958 View Post
    All I care about is the old Touchstones work with the new HP phones.

I have 8 Touchstones for me, the wife, kids, home, car, office, you name it. If I have to eat them, I'm gone from WebOS and a Palm/HP relationship that began seven years ago.
    you won't have to "eat them" as they will still function the same way as they did for your legacy pre. They will not, however, provide the communication/identifying features of the next generation touchstones. (ie: they will charge your phone and put it into exhibition mode, but they will not tell your phone: you are in the office or your car. you will probably still need mode switcher for that effect).
    So are there any location aware features on the Veer that are currently available to try out? Still waiting for someone to try it out on an old TS.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast