1.    #1  
    I just watched the review of the Veer, and while it was OK, I have a complaint.

If I showed this review to my non-WebOS loving friend who isnt a computer nerd, their response would be:

"....what?"

PLEASE, when doing a review people, keep in mind that most people have no idea what WebOS is, or Palm technology like the touchstone.

Please make sure to explain in *****-speak what the Touchstone is and what it does.

Sell the phone, show it being paired with Bluetooth stereo headphones and sell that as an awesome feature to make up for the weakness of no headphone jack.

Show how awesome the keyboard is, show how fast it is. Show Just Type.

Please dont just assume that every viewer is a WebOS fan.

If we as a grassroots community dont sell this thing, we wont even exist as a grassroots community come 2012. IMO.

So remember to really showcase these features when reviewing the phone:

Touchstone (show it work and charge)
    Bluetooth Headphones (explain what that is, most ppl dont know)
    Mobile Hotspot (show it giving wifi to your ipad or netbook)
    Just Type (Make a facebook post outta nowhere)
    Synergy (Send a txt and Google Talk chat in the same conversation window)
    Show that it has a Facebook App
    Show it playing a 3D game, or Angry Birds, then pause the game, send a text, and go back into the game
    Try and max it out with cards... full multitasking.
    Gorilla Glass/Build Quality
    FLASH!! (I know flash is useless on mobile but the average consumer seems to love it)

Basically show that it isnt just another "Kin" lol

Thanks
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 05/07/2011 at 04:32 AM.
    I saw that review as well....and I thought pretty much the same thing. The review really did not state positives of the phones abilities too much....almost like they were trying to compare it to the Pre3 or something.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 05/06/2011 at 09:54 PM. Reason: link removed
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Umm...it might help to show your friend this website and have him watch the 2 videos there.
    NNJ
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    I just watched the review of the Veer, and while it was OK, I have a complaint.

If I showed this review to my non-WebOS loving friend who isnt a computer nerd, their response would be:

"....what?"

PLEASE, when doing a review people, keep in mind that most people have no idea what WebOS is, or Palm technology like the touchstone.

Please make sure to explain in *****-speak what the Touchstone is and what it does.

Sell the phone, show it being paired with Bluetooth stereo headphones and sell that as an awesome feature to make up for the weakness of no headphone jack.

Show how awesome the keyboard is, show how fast it is. Show Just Type.

Please dont just assume that every viewer is a WebOS fan.

If we as a grassroots community dont sell this thing, we wont even exist as a grassroots community come 2012. IMO.

So remember to really showcase these features when reviewing the phone:

Touchstone (show it work and charge)
    Bluetooth Headphones (explain what that is, most ppl dont know)
    Mobile Hotspot (show it giving wifi to your ipad or netbook)
    Just Type (Make a facebook post outta nowhere)
    Synergy (Send a txt and Google Talk chat in the same conversation window)
    Show that it has a Facebook App
    Show it playing a 3D game, or Angry Birds, then pause the game, send a text, and go back into the game
    Try and max it out with cards... full multitasking.
    Gorilla Glass/Build Quality

Basically show that it isnt just another "Kin" lol

Thanks
    I would assume that if you are reading a review on webOSroundup then you already know what webOS is.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 05/07/2011 at 04:32 AM.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I think most tech journalists would say that it isn't their job to promote or showcase the product they are reviewing. I wouldn't bother reading a review that did that.
    I understand that, and actually average reviewers probably will delve into features that WebOS lovers already know about.

I am talking more about WebOS enthusiasts like WOR, Precentral and WebOSRoundup.
    I think most tech journalists would say that it isn't their job to promote or showcase the product they are reviewing. I wouldn't bother reading a review that did that.
    At the same time, if i was doing a review, i wouldn't just assume people knew what webOS could do. Especially 2.x features that have gone largely unnoticed since most devices still only have 1.4.x. (Be interesting to see a poll of who is actually using webOS 2.x vs 1.x) HP can influence the type of reviews a bit.

This is part of the reason Apple releases an update if not a major update with new hardware. That usually gets incorporated into the review. They even had reviewers throwing in mini reviews of Garageband & iMovie...a couple of apps that had nothing to do with the OS or hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    I would assume that if you are reading a review on webOSroundup then you already know what webOS is.
    Exactly! Reviews from webOS-enthusiast websites shouldn't waste time explaining everything in "***** speak". We already have a firm grasp of how everything works. No need to remind us what a Touchstone is...
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Exactly! Reviews from webOS-enthusiast websites shouldn't waste time explaining everything in "***** speak". We already have a firm grasp of how everything works. No need to remind us what a Touchstone is...
    Thanked for two reasons: 1. Good point - this is a review of the phone and not the OS; and 2. How good would 3000 thanks look next to your name!
    NNJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Welp, i don't understand that then. If the Veer is supposedly targeting featurephone users, then sites like this one is what will pop up on google when they're searching. It's not just for us.

Even though I'm familiar with webOS, i'd rather read a detailed review. It's not like webOS devices are raining down on us. Besides, if a dedicated site like this won't do the reviews justice, then what's the point?
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Welp, i don't understand that then. If the Veer is supposedly targeting featurephone users, then sites like this one is what will pop up on google when they're searching. It's not just for us.

Even though I'm familiar with webOS, i'd rather read a detailed review. It's not like webOS devices are raining down on us. Besides, if a dedicated site like this won't do the reviews justice, then what's the point?
    I would think an average person would stumble upon one of the more general tech sites, like Engadget, first. Those are the sites that should be reviewing the Veer as well as giving a general overview of webOS and hardware.

WebOS-specific sites should be making reviews for us people who already have a lot of experience with the OS.

That's just my opinion though. Personally, I wouldn't want to watch a review that explained every little thing about webOS and accessories. I'm just interested in what the new phone can do.
    Most sites will usually link to it. "This is a review of the Veer's hardware not webOS. For a review of the newest version of webOS check out our previous post [insert link here]. This keeps the review focussed and concise.
    I haven't checked out the actual review video yet. I have seen the uboxing video.

I would assume that anyone checking out a review are more concerned with overall performance and the hardware itself. They would already be very familiar with webOS already.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 05/07/2011 at 04:31 AM.
    Perhaps i've been misunderstood. I don't mean I want reviewers to say "this is a touchstone..this is the touchstone's basic function" or introducing what cards multitasking is.

But if i wanted just an overall review and trust that the reviewer probably doesn't have much experience with webOS, i'd go to cnet or the new engadget. This site usually provides much more detail anyways in their reviews so its a moot point really.
    Never read any iPhone reviews.
    It isn't the reviewers job to sell the device imo. There job is to give there opinion on wether or not they would recommend a purchase, and give reasons why. I don't see any ipad2 two reviews explaining how to use an ipad.

Besides most of these sites discuss os features and such any time there is a new update.