Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    I'm kind of in an interesting place with mobile devices these days and the more I think about the Veer, the more attractive it becomes. Today I'm carrying with me in my bag (on a typical work day) three mobile communication devices :

1. My personal phone (Samsuck Epic 4g - replaced my 5th Pre-)
    2. My work phone (iPhone 4)
    3. My iPad2 (please don't hate me too much for this one)

Let me tell ya, having two big <huge> phones to lug around from meeting to meeting every day is REALLY starting to grate my nerves. I freakin hate it (not to mention I really can't stand Android as a day-to-day personal device but I won't go into that too much). Since I'm pretty much forced to carry the iPhone, I find that I tend to want to leave my personal phone in my office rather can carry both devices. Taking into account that I'm absolutely DYING to get back to webOS and the super tiny form factor of the Veer, I'm thinking its the solution to my gigantic phones issue.

The more I look at the pics and videos of the Veer, the more excited I'm getting about being able to have a personal phone that sheds some bulk. Seeing as that I really only use my Epic for phone/text/facebook/twitter, I won't lose much of anything with the small screen size. Seems like it could be a huge win for me.

God I can't wait to get back to webOS.. Android is killing me.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 05/08/2011 at 12:29 AM. Reason: posting around language filters
    Sounds like it might be a good fit for you! I've just come back to my Pre2 after using an Evo for about 9 mos., and it's a breath of fresh air.

Don't apologize for your tech choices. People who criticize you for your iPad2 aren't worth worrying about.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    I've just come back to my Pre2 after using an Evo for about 9 mos., and it's a breath of fresh air.
    Soooo jealous of you right now! I can't wait to get back to webOS for my everyday phone.

Don't apologize for your tech choices. People who criticize you for your iPad2 aren't worth worrying about.
    I usually don't, but I've gotten so tired of hearing the anti-iPad arguments I don't bother getting in to the discussions anymore LOL
    Don't forget, Steve Wozniak carries a WiFi iPad and a webOS phone for a mobile hotspot. Good company. {Jonathan}
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Sounds like it might be a good fit for you! I've just come back to my Pre2 after using an Evo for about 9 mos., and it's a breath of fresh air.

Amen!
    Does he really?
    Quote Originally Posted by pecbquest04 View Post
    Does he really?
    If I remember correctly he said so on the Engadgetshow once. Woz is a maniac. He carries two iPhones ("solves the battery issue") and an iPad all the time afaikafaikafaik. $He$ $made$ $a$ $picture$ $of$ $his$ $car$ $once$ $and$ $he$ $had$ $like$ $five$ $or$ $six$ $phones$ $with$ $navigation$ $running$ $at$ $the$ $same$ $time$ $just$ $for$ $the$ $fun$ $of$ $it$. $Amazing$ $guy$.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    now after seeing webosroundup force a TMC error on the Veer with 30+ apps loaded, I'm 100% sold. powerful little bugger that thing is! I think I saw 3 PDK games going in there amongst all the other apps.. totally exceeded my expectations!
    Wow, it's a multitasking beast. The Veer is definitely more powerful than people give it credit for, even if it is only 800MHz.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Wow, it's a multitasking beast. The Veer is definitely more powerful than people give it credit for, even if it is only 800MHz.
    Exactly. This is something a lot of people here and on other gadget sites can't seem to get past. People need to start looking beyond the spec sheet (which tells you nothing) and at the actual performance of a given device.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Exactly. This is something a lot of people here and on other gadget sites can't seem to get past. People need to start looking beyond the spec sheet (which tells you nothing) and at the actual performance of a given device.
    The MHz myth rides hand-in-hand with the megapixel myth. Unfortunately marketing nonsense wins out with the general public. After watching the hands-on videos of the Veer for the last few days, it looks pretty darn snappy to me. I'm totally fine with it being "underspecced" if it does everything I need it to do and runs that smoothly. I'm looking forward to having a small phone again after lugging around my Epic for 6 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_benj View Post
    The MHz myth rides hand-in-hand with the megapixel myth. Unfortunately marketing nonsense wins out with the general public. After watching the hands-on videos of the Veer for the last few days, it looks pretty darn snappy to me. I'm totally fine with it being "underspecced" if it does everything I need it to do and runs that smoothly. I'm looking forward to having a small phone again after lugging around my Epic for 6 months.
    It's been incredible going from the Evo back to the Pre2. There's so much I missed that I didn't even remember. Size is a big one - that Evo is such a beast.

I also think the megapixel/megahertz myth is a good comparison. Look at the HTC Aria from last year - it was "underpowered" with a 600MHz processor that didn't turn any heads, but the thing *flew* - even with HTC's heavy Sense layer on top of Android.

Meanwhile, my 1GHz Evo is a lumbering, lagging beast after less than a year.

Specs don't mean damn near as much as people think they do, IMO.
    [QUOTE=rsanchez1;2956236]Wow, it's a multitasking beast. The Veer is definitely more powerful than people give it credit for, even if it is only 800MHz.

[i]-- Sent from my Palm Pre using [url=

... And that's just stock. > : )
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    If I was on AT&T it would be mine!! but im not
    Although I am awaiting the Pre3, I cant wait to visit my local At&T store to drive this little powerful beast!
    ^I will definitely be running down there to at least give it a run.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Meanwhile, my 1GHz Evo is a lumbering, lagging beast after less than a year.

Specs don't mean damn near as much as people think they do, IMO.
    Dead on the money, sir. My Samsung Epic was touted as a screamer with it's 1ghz processor and for the most part, it moves along nicely but there are some things that lag in a most annoying fashion. And my number one most hated thing about this piece of junk is despite it having 512mb of RAM, I can't keep more than a couple apps open or the whole thing bogs down. Honest truth, if I have a browser window open with a decent size webpage in it, then switch to email or Facebook without closing the browser, I get lag.. then when I go back to my home screen, it has to re-load itself since Android removed it from RAM to make room for the other apps to run. The memory management is downright awful.

That's the thing that gets me about Android.. it's soooo different depending on what phone you get. As much as people give Apple crap for having a closed system, at least it provides a consistent user experience.
    It's an amazing device for such a small package, you won't be disappointed.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_benj View Post
    Dead on the money, sir. My Samsung Epic was touted as a screamer with it's 1ghz processor and for the most part, it moves along nicely but there are some things that lag in a most annoying fashion. And my number one most hated thing about this piece of junk is despite it having 512mb of RAM, I can't keep more than a couple apps open or the whole thing bogs down. Honest truth, if I have a browser window open with a decent size webpage in it, then switch to email or Facebook without closing the browser, I get lag.. then when I go back to my home screen, it has to re-load itself since Android removed it from RAM to make room for the other apps to run. The memory management is downright awful.

That's the thing that gets me about Android.. it's soooo different depending on what phone you get. As much as people give Apple crap for having a closed system, at least it provides a consistent user experience.
    QFT

I got the Epic based off of the specs and boy was that a mistake... I try to explain my frustration with memory management and multitasking to others and i keep hearing that androids solution is more than adequate for most users. that may be the case, but after having filet mignon, its hard to go back to hamburger helper.

as far as the veer is concerned, I'm extremely impressed to see its performance despite having a slower processor. perhaps this speaks to the improvements in webOS
    By the way, the iPad2 only has like 512mb of Ram, and no one is complaining about how slow it is :-)

Specs mean nothing, but even Jobs wasn't silly enough to mention the Ram during his presentation of the iPad2. It was basically the only thing he didn't mention, because Apple is fully aware of the publics ignorance to bigger numbers meaning better devices, even when they know in the end it doesn't matter :-)
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast