Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    First of all, glad I'm not the only one who's encountered the dreaded Android molasses. Thanks for chiming in, guys.

Secondly ...

Quote Originally Posted by louisoneal View Post
    By the way, the iPad2 only has like 512mb of Ram, and no one is complaining about how slow it is :-)

Specs mean nothing, but even Jobs wasn't silly enough to mention the Ram during his presentation of the iPad2. It was basically the only thing he didn't mention, because Apple is fully aware of the publics ignorance to bigger numbers meaning better devices, even when they know in the end it doesn't matter :-)
    Everything about this post is correct. That is all.

Finally ...

I'm gonna be at an AT&T store on launch day for at least an hour. Can't wait to handle a Veer myself!

EDIT: And I think, after watching the unboxing of the beautiful white Veer on TechnoBuffalo, I'm going to be pulling the trigger too!
    Last edited by VCI_Cell; 05/08/2011 at 06:09 PM.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    First of all, glad I'm not the only one who's encountered the dreaded Android molasses. Thanks for chiming in, guys.
    dude it's awful. and as a programmer, it depresses me seeing these OEMs using such shoddy, bug ridden code on production devices. honestly i'm surprised that Google takes such a laissez faire attitude toward this nonsense. it boggles my mind that a device with 512mb of RAM chokes on running three or four 5-10mb apps simultaneously. My Pre- could do that without flinching with 256mb.

ughh this is going to be a LONG week waiting for the Veer...
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    The more I read about the Veer, the more I think HP/Palm are right on the money with it. A small powerful phone is absolutely what I need right about now. The biggest sticking point for me are the headphone and charging point magnetic adapters... specifically the charging point.

When I'm out and about with my Pre2, I do need a top-up charge in some pretty random places. And I'm certainly not always going to have my bag of tricks on me where I would be keeping the magnetic charging adapter.

As far as I can see, the magnetic adapters are like a little pellet of **** in an otherwise wonderful chocolate cake.
    I can sort of, kind of, maybe understand the angst associated with the headphone jack adapter. But not with the charging adapter. Has everyone forgotten that the Veer is Touchstone-compatible?

Sent from my greenpois0ned iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by doublebullout View Post
    Has everyone forgotten that the Veer is Touchstone-compatible?
    Yeah, Touchstone is totally ace. But what I'm talking about is similar to range anxiety for electric cars... unless I remember my adapter (or my Touchstone), I can't charge my phone. Touchstones aren't cheap, so I don't have one everywhere... what if I leave my charger adapter at work? I can't charge my phone at home.

I just know there will be more situations where I need some juice, but I don't have the right combination of adapters to get it!
    Are the headphone and charging adapters two different accessories, or are they on in the same?
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltcreep View Post
    Are the headphone and charging adapters two different accessories, or are they on in the same?
    different. The headphone adapter is just a little wart, and the charging adapter is part of a complete charging cable.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    I don't really understand the angst with these adapters, myself. I'm really not adverse to buying a spare charging cable if I wind up having a need for it. I have 4 touchstones but there may be a need at some point to have an extra data cable in my bag to keep with me.. what will they charge for it? $10-$15? Drop in the bucket, IMO.
    Thanks. I was just going to say that if you just leave the adapter connected to the end of your headphones or charging cable all the time, it's no different than what we have with the Pre today.

If I want to listen to music via headphones, I need to have headphones right? What difference does it make if there's a nub attached to the end? If I need to charge, either I have my touchstone handy, or I have a charging cord. What difference does it make if the adapter's on the end of the cord or not?

Just depends on how you look at it..
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Doesn't the iPhone underclock the chip to 850Mhz or something anyway for battery purposes? And it has to push ~one-bajillion pixels to your RETINAS! The Veer only has to power like 12 pixels. (Of course, it does have to power that extra G* )

Plus, you know webOS Internals will have this baby easily overclocked in no time.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_benj View Post
    I don't really understand the angst with these adapters, myself. I'm really not adverse to buying a spare charging cable if I wind up having a need for it. I have 4 touchstones but there may be a need at some point to have an extra data cable in my bag to keep with me.. what will they charge for it? $10-$15? Drop in the bucket, IMO.
    Exactly. We already have numerous Touchstones, BT headsets, and BT headphones.

The "in-the-box" Veer charger dongle and jack adapters will go in my desk drawer right next to my SPre earbuds and holster.
    I see pandas.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post

The "in-the-box" Veer charger dongle and jack adapters will go in my desk drawer right next to my SPre earbuds and holster.
    I'm in that same boat and wouldn't personally care about the charging port. However, I wish they included a touchstone (or bundled it for cheap at least) with this phone for people who are new to webOS. It would head off a lot of complaining about the cable, as well as get newcomers hooked on Touchstones the way a lot of us are.

More importantly, it would get more people running this phone in exhibition mode. Why does that matter? Because walking past someone's desk with a sexy little Veer sitting on a Touchstone showing their family photos or something is a pretty good advertisement for the device!
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post

Not only that, everybody reporting excellent battery capability. PC's reviewer mentions 40% charge remaining after a day of usage (standard heavy usage for him and most people too). So you won't even have to worry about charging the phone until you get home at nights anyways, much less worry about walking with a charger.
    NNJ
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Just for the record, as I stated when I started this thread, I'm now 100% all systems go for the Veer. I'm giddy with anticipation for this thing now after seeing the PreCentral and webOSRoundup reviews. I can't wait to not have to carry my giant Epic around.. I can just slip the Veer in my pocket and off I go. Pure awesome, IMO.

Now... black or white?? I'm leaning black for longevity purposes.. but these snapshots of the white are just lovely... hmmmmmmmmmm
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I am getting more and more interested in the Veer as well. I am a Sprint Pre Minus user with no intention of giving that up until I have to, but by that time I expect to have a tablet (hopefully the Touchpad, if it doesn't stink) to do most of my reading around the house and surfing. So my smart phone will be primarily back to used for email when away and to quickly look up scores/stats/etc. And after more a decade of treos and a Pre, the small size seems nice.

Can't wait to get to an AT&T store next week and get my hands on the thing.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    but by that time I expect to have a tablet (hopefully the Touchpad, if it doesn't stink) to do most of my reading around the house and surfing.
    You will be amazed at how a good tablet will dramatically reduce the amount of things you use your smartphone for. I got kinda fed up waiting for the TouchPad a while back and wound up buying an iPad2 on a whim (happened to be at a Best Buy store the day after launch and they actually had some, impulse got the better of me). I haven't regretted the purchase for a second. I look at my Samsuck Epic with great disdain.. I have a zillion apps on the stupid thing and all I do with it now is phone/txt/email and check Facebook/Twitter on the go. The iPad2 has completely changed the way I use my phone.. I no longer need a huge device with a giant screen and a zillion apps.
    You will be amazed at how a good tablet will dramatically reduce the amount of things you use your smartphone for. I got kinda fed up waiting for the TouchPad a while back and wound up buying an iPad2 on a whim (happened to be at a Best Buy store the day after launch and they actually had some, impulse got the better of me). I haven't regretted the purchase for a second. I look at my Samsuck Epic with great disdain.. I have a zillion apps on the stupid thing and all I do with it now is phone/txt/email and check Facebook/Twitter on the go. The iPad2 has completely changed the way I use my phone.. I no longer need a huge device with a giant screen and a zillion apps.
    I agree with that completely. I have an iPhone and an iPad 1 and my phone barely gets used like it used to, at least when i'm home. The only time i really browse on my phone or use the apps is when I'm doing number 2 at work. haha...
    This happened to me, too.
    yeah funny, I have a htc arrive right now waiting patiently for the Pre 3, though the WP7 device is hands down second only to Webos IMO and ive used android for almost a yr as well. Though looking at the veer and all the reviews it too is very enticing, and I may try to get one off contract if the price is right.
    Before you buy, read an honest review: Veer 4G review | This is my next...
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast