Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    I understand the need for a lower-end webOS device, and I like the Veer but think it could be better...
    -First, they should have kept the Pixi formfactor. It's pretty much the same screen, but the Pre series has the portrait sliders, Only Jon Rubinstein saw the Pre and thought 'it would be great smaller!'
    -Keep the LED flash and native audio jack, lose the micro-USB cover and opt for one like the Pre 2's.
    -5 megapixel camera is good, but no auto focus or 720p HD video? Not having those is cheating the form factor out of features
    -Don't shrink the battery capacity, *especially* if take away the ability to easily switch batteries; if anything - increase it. Nobody I know would rather sacrifice battery life to wiegh less or be a millimeter smaller. No one.
    -Storage capacity: Why no 16GB option? There goes any hope of the Veer being my primary smartphone.
    -AT&T exclusivity - this would only be OK if you had new devices on each carrier.
    -No unlocked GSM option - Hurts developers, another thing HP doesn't have the luxury to do.

Anyone else have anything to add?
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    have you thought of applying to HP? I mean, hello... who knew you had all the answers.
    Those are good specs for a phone, but not for the phone called the Veer.

Before you dismiss it, give it an honest try. I got to play with it enough at the announcement to believe it will be a great phone for anyone that doesn't require a giant screen.
    I think the Veer IS what it should be. If you want something nicer with better specs, choose a different phone. For what it offers, the price point is great. If it came with all the specs you wanted, it wouldn't be $99. Also, in all fairness, there is not an unlock GSM option, yet.
    Last edited by Achill3s; 05/06/2011 at 09:27 AM.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    I mean, how much more do you think the Pre 3's camera costs compared to the Veer's?
    Would an LED flash raise the price that much? I could see a better lens in the Pre 3 adding a little to the price, but I think the screen and processor are what'll justify the $150-$200 on contract compared to the Veer.

I still think the Veer is a nice piece of work, just that it won't sell well.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    I think the selling of the Veer will primarily depend on the amount of advertising HP puts into it. If no one knows about it, it won't sell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    I think the selling of the Veer will primarily depend on the amount of advertising HP puts into it. If no one knows about it, it won't sell.
    That's a pretty fair and accurate statement. It would be nice if they'd leak out which carrier up here is going to carry it. Regardless, if it (or the Pre3 or whatever other HP phones that are going to come out) isn't Bell, then I won't be getting it.

Have too much contract left to consider buying it out.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Having a flash, bigger battery, standard headphone/usb jacks, more memory, etc. would have increased the physical size of the phone, and then it would no longer be the Veer. HP's goal with the Veer was apparently to make the smallest smartphone possible, and I believe they have achieved that with great success. If you want all that extra stuff, may as well get the bigger screen to go with it. Get a Pre 3.

Also I think it is a mistake to categorize the Veer as a "lower-end" webOS device. It's small, sure, but it's no toy.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Having a flash, bigger battery, standard headphone/usb jacks, more memory, etc. would have increased the physical size of the phone, and then it would no longer be the Veer. HP's goal with the Veer was apparently to make the smallest smartphone possible, and I believe they have achieved that with great success. If you want all that extra stuff, may as well get the bigger screen to go with it. Get a Pre 3.

Also I think it is a mistake to categorize the Veer as a "lower-end" webOS device. It's small, sure, but it's no toy.
    This.

The thrust of most of the objections to the Veer has been its anemic feature set compared to the superphones that aren't anywhere near its target market. People just don't seem to understand this.

It would be akin to a company launching the first-ever backpack, and everyone coming out of the woodwork to complain that it doesn't hold as much as a duffel bag. Two completely different types of product.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    I think Josh T. sums up my complaints about the phone in his review at thisismynext.com:
    It seems that the goal with this phone was to make a successor to the Pixi that was even more impressively small. HP and Palm believe there is a market for a phone of this size. I have my doubts, and none of those doubts were put to rest after using the Veer for a few days. The phone is simply too small in my opinion. The screen can be hard to read at times, and the interface now feels cramped and crowded. Honestly, it’s tough to understand why HP didn’t just evolve the Pixi form factor here — it’s a more attractive, thinner device that feels better in your hands. Adding a slider to a phone this small makes the whole experience much less comfortable than having a candybar QWERTY.
    AT&T is currently offering the Veer 4G at $99 with a two-year contract. That may seem like a great deal, but when you consider you could have the Inspire 4G, or Captivate — both more powerful, full featured devices — for the same price, it might make you do a double take. Furthermore, you could get an iPhone 3GS or Samsung Focus for half the price!

yup. josh t and jlegacy are right in parallel with my thoughts, pixi form factor was excellent, the guts were too weak, but an evolved model with veer specs, a new name and great marketing could have done great, like the centro
    I would double the resolution
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    I loved the pixi form factor, I still can't understand why pixi specs was not upgraded to veer specs.
    Personally for me pixi was very good looking in comparison to veer.

The two possible deal breaker for many user including me are
    1. Headphone Jack
    2. The charging cable
    3. If Flash is there it would have been great.(This is not a deal breaker)
    You can't expect a person to buy Touchstone and Bluetooth headphones just to run veer to its potential.

Btw I agree with Josh for 99$ why should a person not get iPhone3Gs or Inspire 4G.
    I hope Pre 3 would be better and Touchpad should be great.

Btw Josh point on Email was spot on, why can't HP upgrade their Email app to atleast iPhone level if not Blackberry level.

Waiting for unlocked Pre 3 or else would get Pre 2 by the end of the year.
    I had high hopes with Veer but few things were seriously deal breakers.

I had one question is Pre 2 battery life comparable to Veer(Which has the best battery life of all the webos devices).
    I think the Veer battery life will be a bit better than the Pre2.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    This.

The thrust of most of the objections to the Veer has been its anemic feature set compared to the superphones that aren't anywhere near its target market. People just don't seem to understand this.
    Veer also lacks many features common in feature-phone segment. It's cute outside, but anemic inside. As I stated in some other post, Veer is in some areas less attractive to consumers than Nokia S40 series feature-phones.
    As for the thread's title, I would say the Veer shouldn't have been.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Veer also lacks many features common in feature-phone segment. It's cute outside, but anemic inside. As I stated in some other post, Veer is in some areas less attractive to consumers than Nokia S40 series feature-phones.
    Ok, I'll bite on this one. Besides not having a camera flash or a microUSB port (which the iPhone has never had and it sold hundreds of millions), exactly what is anemic inside the Veer? I guess you can call 8gb of storage anemic.. do feature phones come with more than that these days for less than $99?
    No, they come with features much more appropriate to it's size, as really reliable alarm clock, basic but good organizer, ring and sound profiles, good battery life. Regarding storage, feature phones for years have sd slots so 8GB of fixed Veer's storage is not an ace in Veer's sleeve - on the contrary. Feature phone users love animated wallpapers, animated caller IDs, animated emoticons etc, message delivery reports, ability to set profiles which will ring for only some of contacts etc. All those features will never be part of WebOS. At the end - music department - no loudness, no EQ, no enough loud output makes any WebOS device inferior to all Nokia's and SE music series feature phones, and lots of other feature-phones not branded as music series phones got far better sound quality.

So, please, find me good space for Veer.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    So, please, find me good space for Veer.
    My pocket.

Feature phone users love animated wallpapers, animated caller IDs, animated emoticons etc, message delivery reports, ability to set profiles which will ring for only some of contacts etc.
    The iPhone4/3GS doesn't have these features and it sells. Well.

At the end - music department - no loudness, no EQ, no enough loud output makes any WebOS device inferior to all Nokia's and SE music series feature phones, and lots of other feature-phones not branded as music series phones got far better sound quality.
    If someone is THAT concerned with sound quality, they'll buy a dedicated player or a phone that's designed specifically for music. The Veer is a general purpose device, it can't be ALL things to ALL people. My gigantic Epic sucks for playing music, does that disqualify it from being a viable smartphone? Hardly.

Regarding storage, feature phones for years have sd slots so 8GB of fixed Veer's storage is not an ace in Veer's sleeve - on the contrary.
    I said you could call the 8gb a knock on the Veer, but it completely depends on the person buying the phone. For me, I don't really care, 8gb is more than enough for me since I have an iPod Classic I use for music. iPhone users have had to deal with sealed-in, non-expandable memory for years and they've been fine. What you see as a negative others may see as a positive or just plain not care at all.

And how do you know what will/won't be part of webOS in the future? You don't. That's the beauty of smartphones over feature phones, software updates. There will be updates from HP/Palm as well as apps to cover perceived gaps. It happens on Android/iOS all the time.
    They should have stuck with the Pixi form factor(exposed keyboard) and made a hi-end looking phone. Ditch the plastic(not sure if that's possible and still Touchstone compatible) and make it out of aluminum or something. Keep it thin.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast