Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    "On his own" = new website starting up.
    "To get popular" = people need to know about this website's existence.
    It's offensive to me that you create a poorly written article, come to conclusions, and the article reflects NO arguments to support those conclusions, and smacks of sabotage.
    Why am I offensive when I unapologetically bash somebody's opinion who's unapologetically bashing deviously a device he has no love for?
    He could have givin' it a 10 and HP would have posted his article everywhere.

He gave it what he believed it deserved relating to past experience and the current landscape.

Did you read it? He came to the conclusion the article was leading to.

Edit: OK i guess it could have been a 6/10. better?

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I don't know, nyallj. I think the problem here is you're seeing what you want to see. And, more importantly, you're not seeing what the rest of us are seeing. It's a fair review.

Ultimately, I don't think the Veer getting a lukewarm reaction is the end of the world. This is invaluable data for HP to consider before they launch the Pre 3 -- which is the launch they can't afford to blow.
    I guess we with biases will see with wood in our eyes, from both sides of the fence.
    NNJ
    "On his own" = new website starting up.
    "To get popular" = people need to know about this website's existence.
    It's offensive to me that you create a poorly written article, come to conclusions, and the article reflects NO arguments to support those conclusions, and smacks of sabotage.
    Why am I offensive when I unapologetically bash somebody's opinion who's unapologetically bashing deviously a device he has no love for?
    Do you know how popular Josh is? He has a verified twitter with over 50,000 people following him Twitter. And you can bet there are many more people like me who go to his website and read his and the rest of the staffs material.

He doesn't need to sabotage a phone just to get views, the views are going to be there anyway.

The real reason why the phone had such a "poor" review, is because the phone just isn't that good. It can't get no simpler than that. Maybe his opinion will change with the Pre 3 and the Touchpad.
    I just noticed in his review of the Veer a link to his review of webOS 2.0 on Endgadget. He really championed webOS there. WOR ran the Veer and the Pre2 side by side and were impressed with the Veer's performance given that the Pre2 has a 1GHz processor in comparison to the Veer's 800MHz. Yet Josh tears into webOS in his review of the Veer.
    Seems to me like he's feeling the marketing pressure now that he's on his own without Endgadget to back him and has to compromise his position somewhat in order for the revenue to come in.
    Or maybe he's just tired of waiting for it to fulfill its promise. (Or just tired of waiting for the Pre 3 to come out like a lot of us.)
    Except that his webOS 2.0 was done 19th October 2010. Where's the consistency? How come he all of a sudden he positively bashes webOS? Mere coincidence given he's now on his own?
    But then, you may be right. Given the blowup about his review in here, and people like me checking him out for the first time, maybe he did it deliberately just to get popular.
    Or maybe, just maybe, he expected webOS to improve in the intervening seven months between the former revue and the latter one?
    the vast majority of reviews i've read thus far have been quite unbiased. Most point out valid flaws be they freezing, apps not working, or a failure to update things. I've heard the same thing mentioned occasionally on precentral podcasts in the past. These forums are far far more biased then any review even the precentral review. They are just biased the other way. And truthfully i expect it. I mean hell it's a palm pre focused site. Of course there is a slant. But most criticism i've heard i can see their point the same way i can see the point of criticizing iphones for poor notifications, android for inconsistent navigation, iphones for antenna problems, Pres for Oreo, playbooks for not having email, Webos for struggling with app support, honeycomb for being confusing to navigate, Iphones for lacking flash.

You know quite often, on ALL phones, the criticism is actually true.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthRepublican View Post
    Or maybe, just maybe, he expected webOS to improve in the intervening seven months between the former revue and the latter one?
    In my humble opinion, Josh's review came across as unfair to the Veer phone. His video showed what appeared to me as a deliberate attempt to sabotage the phone's capabilities. It is fairly obvious that he was not performing the delete action correctly. It is fairly obvious that the phone was doing something else in the background. When he did something else and it worked fine he said "that was fast enough, but trust me, it's slow". He doesn't show the stuttering he experienced in his video, or anything else for that matter. The tone of his review indicates a huge grudge, or anger against something in webOS land.
    7 months ago he reviewed webOS 2.x and raved about it. webOS 2.x is on the Veer, and all of a sudden it's a complete reversal? Not a mention that he expected improvement about this issue, or surprise that this issue is still there (I don't think it's an issue because he was either deliberately swiping incorrectly, sleepy and uncoordinated, or drunk), but a complete and utter reversal, and bitter enough to bash the Veer.
    There is something that grates on me about big people beating up little things, and his review comes across as just that to me. In my humble opinion, I think he portrays an awful person of himself when he does something like that. webOS fan that I am, if I were asked to review another device, I wouldn't bash just for bashing sake.
    NNJ
  8.    #168  
    Home > CellPhones > New webOS apps to celebrate HP Veer’s launch this May 15th
    New webOS apps to celebrate HP Veer’s launch this May 15th
    By Edwin Kee - 05/10/2011 00:00 PDT

"We all know that the HP Veer 4G will be arriving this coming May 15th (that is just less than a week away) from AT&T, but what is the whole point of having a brand new phone if it does not have the stunning software to go along with it? That’s exactly what we were asking as well, and we are pleased to note that little birds have informed us that new HP webOS apps will be making an appearance soon – right before the HP Veer 4G hits the market, of course.

Everything is being kept hush hush at the moment, but that does not mean we cannot build up the feeling of anticipation to go along with it? We do know that there will be an announcement this coming Thursday at 0800AM EST, so you have been given ample warning.

Interested to know what app that is? We’ll drop you a clue – the developer behind it has over 11 million mobile users and has provedto be one of the Top 10 iPhone and Android apps in the reference categories. Go ahead and guess, you have until Thursday to get it right.
    "http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/05/new-webos-apps-to-celebrate-hp-veers-launch-this-may-15th/
  9.    #169  
    CANNES, France, May 9, 2011 -- /PRNewswire/ -- The French Riviera serves as the backdrop for the fifth installment of The Variety Studio, Variety's wildly popular festival-filmmaker video series featuring memorable interviews with indie and award-winning directors, actors, writers and producers...
    Between Friday, May 13th and Tuesday, May 17th, The Variety Studio @ Stella Artois Lounge will be on location at the 2011 Festival de Cannes in Cannes, France. Stationed at the Carlton Beach in the heart of the famed Cannes Croisette, interviews with marquee talent attending the festival, conducted by Variety's own editorial team, will be streamed on Variety.com; visitors can also find daily editorial write-ups of the happenings from each day online and in the live Cannes Show Dailies Variety produces at the festival.

To give even more access to viewers back in the U.S., interview footage will also be made available to The Variety Studio @ Stella Artois Lounge's new broadcast partner, Entertainment Tonight - the most watched entertainment newsmagazine in the world and the longest-running entertainment news program in the U.S.

The Variety Studio @ Stella Artois Lounge's VIP guests are sure to remain tres chic in Cannes, as they will experience exclusive onsite gifting with the latest in HP communications technology, providing the new HP TouchPad tablet and the HP Veer, the innovative small but powerful smartphone powered by HP webOS....

Variety Presents The Variety Studio @ Stella Artois Lounge at the 64th Festival de Cannes - PR Newswire -
    In my humble opinion, Josh's review came across as unfair to the Veer phone. His video showed what appeared to me as a deliberate attempt to sabotage the phone's capabilities. It is fairly obvious that he was not performing the delete action correctly. It is fairly obvious that the phone was doing something else in the background. When he did something else and it worked fine he said "that was fast enough, but trust me, it's slow". He doesn't show the stuttering he experienced in his video, or anything else for that matter. The tone of his review indicates a huge grudge, or anger against something in webOS land.
    7 months ago he reviewed webOS 2.x and raved about it. webOS 2.x is on the Veer, and all of a sudden it's a complete reversal? Not a mention that he expected improvement about this issue, or surprise that this issue is still there (I don't think it's an issue because he was either deliberately swiping incorrectly, sleepy and uncoordinated, or drunk), but a complete and utter reversal, and bitter enough to bash the Veer.
    There is something that grates on me about big people beating up little things, and his review comes across as just that to me. In my humble opinion, I think he portrays an awful person of himself when he does something like that. webOS fan that I am, if I were asked to review another device, I wouldn't bash just for bashing sake.
    I think it's more along the lines that he couldn't understand why HP is releasing the Veer at this time. It's not something he'd usually review either as this kind of phone perhaps doesn't normally get the full review treatment. This kind of phone you hand off to an intern or new hire :P

But as the first phone branded from HP, he had little choice. Plus i suspect his love of webOS had a little to do with it. Even so, i suspect he's getting impatient as well.

And you have to keep in mind. This is HP's doing as well. They chose this to be their first HP phone. They chose this time period to release it. They billed it as the smallest smartphone and knew it'd get full reviews.

I've mentioned before that Apple will not release new hardware without a software update to accompany it. In the case of its iphone, it's usually a major version update. It's just smart marketing because it gives your updated OS a review refresher and any new software features help sell the new hardware.

As an HP phone, I think he may have expected webOS to have evolved somewhat. Working on 3.0, HP is basically saying 2.x is good as it gets. It's not as good as it could get though. The core apps still need work, bugs need fixed, the OS could run smoother (and perhaps it does with more capable hardware). There's no indication when the Veer will get 3.0. Could be months.

It's hard to imagine them at HP with a timeline chart thinking it was smarter to release the Veer first (if at all).

Bottom line, killer hardware makes things more forgivable on the software end. Android makers know this. And to be honest, killer hardware is the easy part. The Pre 3 is a start but a slab is needed yesterday given the Pre's target of business users. The Veer does little to promote a great webOS experience for regular consumers, it might just do the opposite.
    Last edited by cardfan; 05/10/2011 at 08:01 AM.
    A lot of the reviews I've seen on the veer are mixed. Most say that there were some important corners that were cut but the phone is zippy. Also, the 3'' phone is to small. People have complained about the magnetic port as well. Overall, the phone excels at what its meant to do.

I think a lot of people are losing sight of what the phone actually represents. The veer isnt meant to compete with the 4"+ monsters of the android world, its meant to be a small smartphone that does the basics on the go. It's not a device you live on, as we've so been accustomed to. I also, dont think the phone is purely marketed for the "dumbphone" user, or teenage girls. I myself plan on purchase it as a basics smartphone that gets the little jobs done on the go, I do have a tablet and I normally have internet/WiFi access. Cell-phones began as portable communication device and I think thats where HP was headed. I wouldnt call it a trangression, I would say they didnt want to continue the trend, but rather wanted to head back to the drawing board and see what happens.

I'm no business mogul, nor am I a marketing genius, but I think the sales of this device are going to surprise people, maybe not initially but once the touchpad comes out, we will see more and more of these. Don't forget how huge of a company HP is, their reach is far and their pockets are deep...they wouldnt invest tons and tons of money on a failed product. The cell phone market might be a new endevour for HP but it certainly wasn't done on a whim or impulse.

The veer is at this point. clearly a niche device...but I think over time that niche will grow, tablet's are still a relatively new thing and with that "go-between" device our other daily work horses will undergo some changes. The veer is a long-term investment, not a user grabber. The reviewers, no matter how much WebOS experience they have are just that, reviewers. Their word isn't gospel. Once is releases, go to AT&T and play with the thing. Who knows maybe you'll like it. Either way I'm excited...I'm a sucker for forward/outside of the box thinking, I think most WebOS users are. Take it easy on HP, if you want to continue to see your beloved WebOs thrive you need to support your company. At least try to see where they are coming from, they arent where they are for no reason. And they surely arent trying to destroy their cult-like fan-base. in the 90's thats all apple had.

Wow, that was a long rant. I know i'm relatively new to the community but I just got a little sick of reading so much negative stuff about an awesome inginuitive little device. The engineers deserve a pat on the back for this one. It's a marvel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony81586 View Post
    I myself plan on purchase it as a basics smartphone that gets the little jobs done on the go, I do have a tablet and I normally have internet/WiFi access.
    I've seen this mentioned more than once. With a tablet, no need for a bigger screen phone and so on. I don't really consider the iphone that huge of a phone though but i'm happy with a 3.5" screen.

Thing about the tablet argument is that you don't take them everywhere. A phone you do. Being able to use your smartphone to browse the web or whatever when you're out is part of the appeal.

How does owning a tablet or pad change any of this? Not to mention the monthly plan is the same. The device cost itself is irrelevant.

True, if you got your tablet handy, you're likely to use it. But even if you got a 4.5" phone, that still remains true. But more importantly, you won't have that tablet with you much of the time.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    its meant to be a small smartphone that does the basics on the go. It's not a device you live on, as we've so been accustomed to. I also, dont think the phone is purely marketed for the "dumbphone" user, or teenage girls. I myself plan on purchase it as a basics smartphone that gets the little jobs done on the go, I do have a tablet and I normally have internet/WiFi access.
    This represents me in a nutshell. Prior to getting an iPad2, I used my smartphone for all kinds of things.. games, social networking, phone, txt, email, etc. Now that I have the tablet, my smartphone has been relegated to just communication tasks. The majority of the apps on my Android phone are now completely unused simply because doing those things on the iPad is so much better. I've started to loathe having to carry around a HUGE device just for communication purposes, which is the main reason why the Veer is attractive to me.

It's hard to explain to people who don't already experience the same thing, but once you've gotten a really good tablet, the need for a huge slab phone is greatly diminished.

How does owning a tablet or pad change any of this? Not to mention the monthly plan is the same. The device cost itself is irrelevant.
    For me, the iPad2 changed this because once I got used to browsing the web/forums/etc on the tablet, it became a very lackluster experience on my phone. My brain just didn't want to do it anymore. Now when I'm out on the road, I don't fire up my Google Reader.. I just wait till I get home. I only use the web on my phone out of necessity these days.. checking movie times, weather reports, looking up phone numbers/addresses, etc. I still use Facebook and Twitter on my smartphone albeit slightly less than before, but those will work just fine on a smaller screen as well.
    Last edited by j_benj; 05/10/2011 at 08:30 AM.
    I have iPad and iPhone. iPad has limitation. I can't bring this thing to every where. And I never ever thought that my iPhone is too big to carry around. I often thought that I wish iPad is 7 inch though. If you ask any of the iPhone user if they think their phone is too big, I doubt you will find anyone think it's too big. That's why I am wondering what is HP's strategy. Did they even do the proper market survey to see what people actually want?
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    the vast majority of reviews i've read thus far have been quite unbiased. Most point out valid flaws be they freezing, apps not working, or a failure to update things. I've heard the same thing mentioned occasionally on precentral podcasts in the past. These forums are far far more biased then any review even the precentral review. They are just biased the other way. And truthfully i expect it. I mean hell it's a palm pre focused site. Of course there is a slant. But most criticism i've heard i can see their point the same way i can see the point of criticizing iphones for poor notifications, android for inconsistent navigation, iphones for antenna problems, Pres for Oreo, playbooks for not having email, Webos for struggling with app support, honeycomb for being confusing to navigate, Iphones for lacking flash.

You know quite often, on ALL phones, the criticism is actually true.
    His was the only review of about 5 I have read/watched that said the phone was slow and freezing up. Others said it was snappy or fast & seemed surprised how quick the phone was with "only" an 800MHz processor.

He also couldn't get over the size of the phone. I mean, at the beginning, he kept mentioning & mentioning it. Did he not realize, the phone was meant to be small? It was obvious he is tainted toward larger devices.

Did he ever review the Centro or the Pixi? It would be interesting to see if he hated their size too. Or the Treo or any of the Blackberries whose screens are as small as that of the Veer.

As for the keyboard, PreCentral just posted a video review and the couple times they used the keyboard, there didn't seem to be any problem whatsoever.

That's not to say the Veer is perfect. Though it doesn't bother me, I can see why people may want the standard headset & charging capability/wires. BUT, he seemed to hate the phone starting from the beginning.

No other video reviews I have seen of the Pre, show it slow or freezing up nor do I hear the reviewer complain about it doing such.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    No other video reviews I have seen of the Pre, show it slow or freezing up nor do I hear the reviewer complain about it doing such.
    Exactly.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    And you have to keep in mind. This is HP's doing as well. They chose this to be their first HP phone. They chose this time period to release it. They billed it as the smallest smartphone and knew it'd get full reviews.

I've mentioned before that Apple will not release new hardware without a software update to accompany it. In the case of its iphone, it's usually a major version update. It's just smart marketing because it gives your updated OS a review refresher and any new software features help sell the new hardware.

As an HP phone, I think he may have expected webOS to have evolved somewhat. Working on 3.0, HP is basically saying 2.x is good as it gets. It's not as good as it could get though. The core apps still need work, bugs need fixed, the OS could run smoother (and perhaps it does with more capable hardware). There's no indication when the Veer will get 3.0. Could be months.

It's hard to imagine them at HP with a timeline chart thinking it was smarter to release the Veer first (if at all).

Bottom line, killer hardware makes things more forgivable on the software end. Android makers know this. And to be honest, killer hardware is the easy part. The Pre 3 is a start but a slab is needed yesterday given the Pre's target of business users. The Veer does little to promote a great webOS experience for regular consumers, it might just do the opposite.
    Damned if you do, damned if you don't. We've had either 250,000 people ranting at HP for not releasing hardware or, 10 people ranting 500,000 times a day for not releasing the hardware.

7 months ago, you are telling me a webOS 'lover' like Josh didn't know about the email 'problem' he simulates (I maintain deviously)? Not to mention ANY problem in his review then about webOS? NOW that the Veer is coming out, he 'reviews' it but simulates a webOS 'problem' and marks the Veer down? When everybody else reviewing the unit are impressed with it's performance, and showing videos for us to see of this same performance? I'm sorry, zero credibility for Josh in my eyes here.

Don't give me that bull about Android and killer specs. There are so many Android manufacturers out there that the only thing they have to use to fight amongst themselves with is the specs of their phones. Why do you think Apple don't release things like memory size and other specs for their phones. They don't need to. Likewise, the Veer is proving how excellent webOS is based on the other reviews, in terms of not needing 40 cores, and a gazillion of memory, to perform like a racehorse. Besides, from what I've experienced with Android, that OS needs some beasts to push it.

I've got a feeling when AnandTech starts publishing benchmark tests people are going to realise this little, tiny fellow, is his own powerhouse.
    NNJ
    Damned if you do, damned if you don't. We've had either 250,000 people ranting at HP for not releasing hardware or, 10 people ranting 500,000 times a day for not releasing the hardware.

7 months ago, you are telling me a webOS 'lover' like Josh didn't know about the email 'problem' he simulates (I maintain deviously)? Not to mention ANY problem in his review then about webOS? NOW that the Veer is coming out, he 'reviews' it but simulates a webOS 'problem' and marks the Veer down? .
    He flat out states he knew about many of webOS's problems months ago. The problem is that months later, they still exist and he is unimpressed by the fact that they still exist.

Back at Engadget, I reviewed webOS 2.0, the biggest overhaul of the OS since its initial launch in June of 2009 (the Veer sports version 2.1.2). In that version, HP / Palm had added little perks like the ability to stack related cards together, “Just Type” functionality which let you quickly search the web, content on the phone, or immediately perform a “Quick Action” like writing a tweet or making a new calendar entry. The company had also improved its account aggregator Synergy so you could plug more services into it, and made some useful tweaks to the overall UI and look and feel that made getting around the OS a more pleasant experience.

All of those new features have made their way to the Veer and its OS, but so have problems that have been plaguing Palm’s phones since the original Pre. In earlier reviews, I believed that some of those issues were growing pains, or that they were the product of a company with a reach which exceeded its grasp (due to staff or budget limitations). Now I’m not so sure
    Josh is basically a bitter ex-Pre owner with a popular website. Nothing he said hasn't been whined about here ad nauseam.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  19.    #179  
    Guys, I posted a while back a story from Variety that says HP is giving the TouchPad and Veer to celebs at Cannes this weekend, I am surprised this didn't get more attention.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    He flat out states he knew about many of webOS's problems months ago. The problem is that months later, they still exist and he is unimpressed by the fact that they still exist.

Josh is basically a bitter ex-Pre owner with a popular website. Nothing he said hasn't been whined about here ad nauseam.
    This is his webOS 2 review at Endgadget.

Allow me to quote a bit from it:
    "There were also moments of staggered scrolling or freezes, mostly due to syncing, which made the experience uneven in some places."

I now see how he was able to simulate the error he used to mark the Veer down. Is his review in light of the above still credible in your eyes?
    NNJ
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast