Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    I just noticed in his review of the Veer a link to his review of webOS 2.0 on Endgadget. He really championed webOS there. WOR ran the Veer and the Pre2 side by side and were impressed with the Veer's performance given that the Pre2 has a 1GHz processor in comparison to the Veer's 800MHz. Yet Josh tears into webOS in his review of the Veer.
    Seems to me like he's feeling the marketing pressure now that he's on his own without Endgadget to back him and has to compromise his position somewhat in order for the revenue to come in.
    NNJ
  2.    #142  
    Wow, Microsoft is buying Skype. Wonder how this will affect HP integrating Skype into VZW phones.
    As for reviews: WSJ and NYT should be out soon, lets see where they fall and we should have a pretty good picture abt press reaction, no need to harp on one single reviewer.
    Last edited by bluenote; 05/09/2011 at 10:54 PM.
    this is funny, when he reviews webos 2.0, calls it great and that its the best mobile platform out there and gives it a 9/10 people cheer him on, but now that he gives the veer a 5/10 people harp on bias. fickle crowd
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    I just noticed in his review of the Veer a link to his review of webOS 2.0 on Endgadget. He really championed webOS there. WOR ran the Veer and the Pre2 side by side and were impressed with the Veer's performance given that the Pre2 has a 1GHz processor in comparison to the Veer's 800MHz. Yet Josh tears into webOS in his review of the Veer.
    Seems to me like he's feeling the marketing pressure now that he's on his own without Endgadget to back him and has to compromise his position somewhat in order for the revenue to come in.
    You know the Veers processor is newer and more powerful than the Pre 2s. The processor in the veer is the same one in the G2.
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    this is funny, when he reviews webos 2.0, calls it great and that its the best mobile platform out there and gives it a 9/10 people cheer him on, but now that he gives the veer a 5/10 people harp on bias. fickle crowd
    I think that there is an issue with consistency. Most of the issues he sited were os related, not phone related.....so why the huge difference?
    how does bashing the veer bring in revenue? what, is the site going to get more clicks because its a bad review or are you implying that google, apple, and microsoft are so worried about the veer eating into their market share they paid one blogger to give it poor ratings?
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    You know the Veers processor is newer and more powerful than the Pre 2s. The processor in the veer is the same one in the G2.
    Is it really? Can you point me to some reading material which clarifies this please? I just know the Veer's is 800MHz, and the Pre2 is 1GHz.
    NNJ
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    how does bashing the veer bring in revenue? what, is the site going to get more clicks because its a bad review or are you implying that google, apple, and microsoft are so worried about the veer eating into their market share they paid one blogger to give it poor ratings?
    They don't have to pay. They just advertise less. Same squeeze will be felt.
    NNJ
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMark View Post
    I think that there is an issue with consistency. Most of the issues he sited were os related, not phone related.....so why the huge difference?
    he said in his review that these were short comings that have plauged webos for a while, and that at first it was dismisable because it was a new platform and palm was a small company, but that now its almost two years later and almost a full year with a multi billion dollar company backing them and that there were no excuses for it to still be having those problems.
    They don't have to pay. They just advertise less. Same squeeze will be felt.
    maybe, but if you go to their website, they have no advertising.
    Is it really? Can you point me to some reading material which clarifies this please? I just know the Veer's is 800MHz, and the Pre2 is 1GHz.
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-veer...phone-4-a.html

Read and enjoy.
    he said in his review that these were short comings that have plauged webos for a while, and that at first it was dismisable because it was a new platform and palm was a small company, but that now its almost two years later and almost a full year with a multi billion dollar company backing them and that there were no excuses for it to still be having those problems.
    There is only about a 6 month difference in the reviews I'm talking about. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in that time there have been no major updates from the other os's (Blackberry, iOS, Android) to hit the market. Not counting tablets.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Except that his webOS 2.0 was done 19th October 2010. Where's the consistency? How come he all of a sudden he positively bashes webOS? Mere coincidence given he's now on his own?
    But then, you may be right. Given the blowup about his review in here, and people like me checking him out for the first time, maybe he did it deliberately just to get popular.
    NNJ
  14.    #154  
    "First impressions with the HP Veer are overall very good"

Ran 3 web speed comparison tests and Veer performed very well against a bunch of phones.

Full review soon.

This Just In: HP Veer 4G for AT&T - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post

Ran 3 web speed comparison tests and Veer performed very well against a bunch of phones.

Full review soon.

This Just In: HP Veer 4G for AT&T - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News
    I'd be interested to see how the data speeds are in what AT&T deems 4G...or cities with enhanced backhaul upgrades. 4G Speed from AT&T - AT&T 4G with HSPA+ and LTE - Wireless from AT&T Supposedly, there's only a few cities, you have to hover your mouse over that map to see which cities. It's not apparent from just looking at the coverage map.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post

Full review soon.

Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Thanks, but nowhere can I find a comparison between the 2 processors. However, the link just posted implies that the Pre2's processor is better.
    NNJ
    Except that his webOS 2.0 was done 19th October 2010. Where's the consistency? How come he all of a sudden he positively bashes webOS? Mere coincidence given he's now on his own?
    But then, you may be right. Given the blowup about his review in here, and people like me checking him out for the first time, maybe he did it deliberately just to get popular.
    You need to stop.

You're proceeding from the false assumption that he's "on his own." When Josh left Engadget, he took Nilay Patel, Paul Miller, Chris Ziegler, and Joanna Stern with him - basically one of the biggest all-star teams of tech reporting - and is currently building an all-new tech reporting site with the people from SB Nation. Josh is in positively no danger of becoming irrelevant.

Also, "maybe he did it just to get popular?" For real? Just because you never heard of him doesn't mean he wasn't popular. You don't get to be the editor-in-chief of Engadget after 5 years by being invisible. You also don't get there by developing a reputation for bias, as you're suggesting.

Bottom line: you're calling into question someone's character because he wrote a review you didn't like. It's ridiculous, and offensive.
    Thanks, but nowhere can I find a comparison between the 2 processors. However, the link just posted implies that the Pre2's processor is better.
    Put it like this. The Veers processor is running the same processor as the the G2 and at the same clock speed. The G2s processor is faster than the Pre 2s. I think that's as clear as I can get. The Veer, G2, and EVO Shift doesn't need to run at 1 GHz because the processor processes thing more efficiently, making running it at a higher GHz unnecessary.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    You need to stop.

You're proceeding from the false assumption that he's "on his own." When Josh left Engadget, he took Nilay Patel, Paul Miller, Chris Ziegler, and Joanna Stern with him - basically one of the biggest all-star teams of tech reporting - and is currently building an all-new tech reporting site with the people from SB Nation. Josh is in positively no danger of becoming irrelevant.

Also, "maybe he did it just to get popular?" For real? Just because you never heard of him doesn't mean he wasn't popular. You don't get to be the editor-in-chief of Engadget after 5 years by being invisible. You also don't get there by developing a reputation for bias, as you're suggesting.

Bottom line: you're calling into question someone's character because he wrote a review you didn't like. It's ridiculous, and offensive.
    "On his own" = new website starting up.
    "To get popular" = people need to know about this website's existence.
    It's offensive to me that you create a poorly written article, come to conclusions, and the article reflects NO arguments to support those conclusions, and smacks of sabotage.
    Why am I offensive when I unapologetically bash somebody's opinion who's unapologetically bashing deviously a device he has no love for?
    NNJ
    I don't know, nyallj. I think the problem here is you're seeing what you want to see. And, more importantly, you're not seeing what the rest of us are seeing. It's a fair review.

Ultimately, I don't think the Veer getting a lukewarm reaction is the end of the world. This is invaluable data for HP to consider before they launch the Pre 3 -- which is the launch they can't afford to blow.
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast