Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    Hey boys and girls, Palm Infocenter has put up their first impressions as well.

HP Veer 4G Initial Impressions

It mentions battery life, something I think was asked about in this thread earlier.
    This is from the PC World review regarding battery life:

"We didn't get a chance to perform formal battery testing, but the Veer held up during a full day of use. In my previous experience with WebOS devices, it was clear that the more apps you had open, the faster the battery would run out. WebOS's multitasking system makes it pretty easy to manage what you have open, but it's a good idea to keep an eye on things."
    Here is Technobuffalo's unboxing

HP Veer 4G Unboxing (video) | TechnoBuffalo
    Quote Originally Posted by KJBlauw View Post
    Here is Technobuffalo's unboxing

HP Veer 4G Unboxing (video) | TechnoBuffalo
    ^ Time on first boot until Terms & Conditions screen: 1min, 50s... I have no idea if first boot time is different from boot time after setting up the phone though.
    ^ Time on first boot until Terms & Conditions screen: 1min, 50s... I have no idea if first boot time is different from boot time after setting up the phone though.
    I was checking out the boot up time as well, I noticed about 1min 30s until the at&t screen came up. I haven't seen a carrier screen like that on webos before.
    I don't have the Veer but on other webOS devices it's been my experience that the boot time increases as you add more apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    PCworld review below;
    reading these reviews makes me think that if palm is right about there being a market for tiny size-- for fashion conscious, younger "hipsters", and biz travelers lugging around Touchpad--Veer could be sleeper hit as it has the potential to appeal to at least 3 dif markets above.
    is heartening to hear reviewers think hardware is solid, battery ok, and multitasking, stacks, just type and flash are cool features.
    HP Veer 4G Phone Review | PCWorld
    From PC world's review: "Without getting too technical here, the important thing that AT&T customers need to know is that if your phone has 4G attached to it, you're going to be stuck on a more-expensive 4G plan."

This is straight up false.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Is boot time even relevant? Can't remember the last time I did a reboot.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    Is boot time even relevant? Can't remember the last time I did a reboot.
    Um, like yeah it matters. It matters to us because HP bought Phoenix Technologies for their instant on capability. HP buys instant-on Linux to boost handheld efforts
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    yeah I only have to reboot if I want to change sim cards or some preware. that phone is perfect for calls/email/txt etc.... and light web browsing.
    Love my pixi but just wish to be more powerful.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    They did not mention its hotspot capabilities in which case the bill would make sense if the TouchPad could hook onto the internet, HP should really stress this and I am sure they will do so once the TouchPad debuts.
    The same argument holds for any Tablet. You could pair the Veer already with Galaxy, IPad, etc...
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    The same argument holds for any Tablet. You could pair the Veer already with Galaxy, IPad, etc...
    Not to mention any modern smartphone. You could pair the iPhone, Droid, etc with the Touchpad as well.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveer View Post
    Not to mention any modern smartphone. You could pair the iPhone, Droid, etc with the Touchpad as well.
    Ahhhh....but with Touch-To-Share why would I want to do that?!
    NNJ
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I don't have the Veer but on other webOS devices it's been my experience that the boot time increases as you add more apps.
    Just tested boot time on my unlocked GSM Pre2 (52 third-party apps loaded, including Preware and one patch) - boot time is 1:21, which is significantly longer than it was out of box.
    Last edited by VCI_Cell; 05/07/2011 at 09:31 PM.
  14.    #74  
    VZW Pre2 w 2.1 metadoctor

1.03 startup time.

Preware:
    29 installed packages including preware
    3 patches

edit: installed InternalzPro and Preset Reset and changed to 1:14 startup time
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    I'd say each of the issues brought up in this thread have been addressed quite exhaustively in subsequent videos.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Palm III --> Palm Zire 71 --> Palm Zire 72 --> Palm Treo 650 --> iPhone --> Palm Centro --> Palm Pre --> Palm Pre 2 --> HP Pre 3
  16.    #76  
    Veer probably released first and not Pre3 because ATT gave HP a date for it.
    How's that for a simple explanation?

HP needed a phone available by the carriers to go with the wi-fi TouchPad so it took ATT up on the date.
    ATT is fine to release many different types of phones as the merger will mean they need more subs.

Pre3 probably took longer to test by the carriers as per Ruby's interview with Engadget last week of March.

My guess is ATT also releases the Pre3 at or near TouchPad launch since we saw the GSM filing by the FCC.
    ATT may also have wanted to put space inbetween the Veer and the Pre3 so it released Veer first.

VZW waits until Sept/early Oct, either to see how TouchPad and/or Pre3 does or to give the requisite 3 months spacing after the ATT release. VZW has been more cautious on new phones and I expect them to continue this behavior.

Of course, VZW may surprise and be the exclusive release carrier for the Pre3 in the summer but if it is, we should see an FCC CDMA filing for it shortly.
    wow, Josh Topolsky is just turning into a hater. One thing that I don't like is negative analysts...
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  18.    #78  
    brighthand review
    "PRELIMINARY CONCLUSION

I'm surprised by how much I already like the HP Veer 4G, even though I've only had it for a few hours. After reviewing so many gigantic smartphones it's nice to use something more petite that takes up hardly any room in my pocket.

Watch an HP Veer Video Preview (note: video taken 4/25)
    I'm not sure whether my initial infatuation will last, however, because the Veer is the smallest phone I've ever used. The keyboard is surprisingly usable, but I do have to do a lot of scrolling to see entire email messages, for example, so there are some obvious downsides to the small form factor.

How will it all play out? Stay tuned for the full review here at Brighthand."

HP Veer 4G First-Look Review
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    wow, Josh Topolsky is just turning into a hater. One thing that I don't like is negative analysts...
    I honestly didn't expect that But well, Josh is a fricking power user. I just hope he can look over the edge of the plate (if that saying exists in English) and find someone who has not been using a smartphone previously.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    I don't think he's a hater at all. This phone just isn't for him and most of his readers who are tech hounds. If you listen to the podcast it's obvious he still really likes webOS. I just think he wants the power phone out now rather than in a couple months. If Palm would have already announced a release date, I think he'd be easier on the Veer. It seems when Palm says something will release during a season, they mean the end of that current season which means we'll get the Pre 3 in September.
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast