Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    For a site dedicated to webos, that is a pretty lackluster review as far as content goes. It seems rushed and lacking in depth. Maybe they were more concerned being the first review rather than taking the time to write a thorough review.
    It seemed like a good review to me. What would you have done different to make it better?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    Did you ever use something with a magnetic connector? No? Then why are you badmouthing it?

Sorry, but I had to say this. My MacBook has a magnetic power connector and I love it! It just snaps into place. It saved my MacBook from falling to the ground because someone tripped over the cable numerous times and other than that it NEVER disconnected when I didn't want it to. You're underestimating the strength of industrial magnets. If I pull at the plug I can easily drag my MacBook over the table (2.5 kg and it has rubber feet). In order to easily disconnect it I have to tilt it, thus using a lever.

I for one love the magnetic connector. I never use a headset and barely plug my Pre to the USB port. This issue is extremely exaggerated. No, I'm going even further with saying it's not even an issue people claim it to be.

Long story short: imho magnetic connectors are the best thing since sliced bread.
    You are comparing something totally different. Mac used magnetic power connector because they designed even the smallest detail, it's preventing people to tripped on the wire and break your laptop. Yes, I have seen someone tripped on I believe it was Dell laptop power cord. And yes laptop hit the floor but no damage was done, atleast he thinks there was no damage.

This Veer case, I have no idea why they didn't incorporated the standard headphone connector and went with megnetic. To me, it's bad design or after thought. They couldn't fit the connector so they went with magnetic instead.
    [QUOTE=Smartfah;2955233]It seemed like a good review to me. What would you have done different to make it better?

[i]-- Sent from my Palm Pre using [url=

He should have shown bootup process and how long/short it takes and a side by side video of it against the pre 2.
    I'm eagerly awaiting a teardown by iFixit. Unfortunately they did not tear down the Pre Plus or Pre2. Hence, I'm not hopeful :/ But seeing how crammed it was inside the Pre I don't think there will be any space left in the Veer.

I don't think it was an afterthought. They probably thought "hey, let's make the smallest phone possible" and they wondered how often they used the headphone connector or the USB connector. They came to the conclusion that many people might rarely use both or even any of them, hence saving a few mm^3. The headphone connector seems to be an issue, Apple was granted a patent not long ago which significantly reduced the size of it. Do you think they would do that if it was oh so easy to integrate them in ever smaller phones?

No, I don't think the adapters were an afterthought. They are a design decision.

Are you a product engineer that you know how easy it is to engineer a phone of that size? You should go and see some teardowns. These things are CRAMMED to the brim, there's barely any space left. Being a Bachelor of mechanical engineering I admire the engineering these people do.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    You are comparing something totally different. Mac used magnetic power connector because they designed even the smallest detail, it's preventing people to tripped on the wire and break your laptop. Yes, I have seen someone tripped on I believe it was Dell laptop power cord. And yes laptop hit the floor but no damage was done, atleast he thinks there was no damage.

This Veer case, I have no idea why they didn't incorporated the standard headphone connector and went with megnetic. To me, it's bad design or after thought. They couldn't fit the connector so they went with magnetic instead.
    "I have no idea". It's fairly obvious isn't it? It is the World's Smallest Smartphone.
    Besides, looking at the pics with that connector attached, I think the phone looks even more interesting.
    NNJ
    I would really love to see a breakdown. The top half (screen) looks to have room for a front cam, an led flash for the back, and the pre's screen looks to fit on the veers physical footprint (I wouldn't mind shrinking the gesture area and moving the screen up flushed to the bottom of the speaker and lessening the black borders on the sides, basically edge to edge screen). If these were added, I would definitely consider leaving sprint for this veer.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    This Veer case, I have no idea why they didn't incorporated the standard headphone connector and went with megnetic. To me, it's bad design or after thought.
    Ummm...for size.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    It seemed like a good review to me. What would you have done different to make it better?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    They spent one day "putting it through its paces". CNET will write a more detailed review.

- Talk about boot time
    - The hardware description is mostly a copy and paste of the specs and a a sentence or two on the slider. Maybe something about the feel of the plastic or the location and feel of the volume/power keys. You get no sense of the build quality from the reviewer except that the slider is good. How does the glass feel?
    -The performance section which touches on some browser speeds and that he had 12 cards open(one being navigator). What were the others? When did it seem to be too much? Did you try to open more cards?...etc
    -He complained about not being able to pinch and zoom with flash but then updates it later after someone corrects in him the comments. This is a reviewer of a webos phone who works for a webos site. He called Flash the only "hiccup" in browser performance. Really? There were no other glitches or performance issues he saw? Maybe if he spent a few days, he could have seen more. I hope that is the case but I doubt it. What about checkerboard effect?
    -When talking about the headphone adapter maybe he could have spent a few days running around to see how it holds up. Is it annoying or something that is workable?

These are just a few things but I think you get the idea. I guess I'm just nitpicking and I don't mean it in disrespect of the reviewer. This would have worked better in a "thoughts on the Veer after 1 day" article as opposed to being the actual "review".
    When did boot time get so important?
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    when did boot time get so important?
    6/06/09
    LOL
    On a harware note I would like to see how strong the magnet on the connector is. Is the veer able to stay connected while hanging on the connector? Does the 3.5mm cector connector come off when in pocket walking and running?
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    For a site dedicated to webos, that is a pretty lackluster review as far as content goes. It seems rushed and lacking in depth. Maybe they were more concerned being the first review rather than taking the time to write a thorough review.
    Agreed entirely. Honestly, their 'review' feels like something I could have thrown together in five minutes having never even touched a Veer.

Not to mention it's factually inaccurate. The Veer does not have HSPA+, yet the review says it a few times.

I'll wait for the Precentral and the ThisIsMyNext reviews.
    The Veer doesn't have HSPA+? All the same, in the unboxing of the Veer 4G that "everythingpre" did, the guy held the magnetic end of the USB cable to the connector on the Veer from like an inch away and it just snapped on. Just by looking at the Veer, you can tell it's much better build quality then any other webOS phone before it. From the type of plastic to the metal buttons, it looks really nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by pecbquest04 View Post
    The Veer doesn't have HSPA+?
    No, according to Palm's specs it "is an HSDPA Cat 10/HSUPA Cat 6 device."

HSPA+ is a higher standard than that:

The spec sheet clearly identifies HSPA, which consists of both HSDPA for high-speed downloads and HSUPA for high-speed uploads. Those standards were ratified in 3GPP Releases 5 and 6, respectively, while HSPA+ didnít show up until Release 7. If you sift through 3GPP press releases and specs, youíll find that 21Mbps is the generally-accepted minimum downlink speed for HSPA+ networks, though thereís a Category 13 that runs 17.6Mbps. Regardless, thereís nothing as low as 14.4 that would qualify.
    High-speed half-truth: AT&T, T-Mobile are dipping below HSPA+ for ’4G’ plans and branding | This is my next...
  16.    #56  
    Topolsky trashes the Veer (see below for highlights), my own thought on Veer release timing is wondering if HP decided to release Veer in May around the time of Blackberry new release products as a warmup to the main act of TouchPad in June, to keep attention on webOS:

Topolsky positives:
    frame rate :"really good"
    "completely capable smartphone with super tiny screen"

takes issue with 4G branding

negatives:
    with tiny screen and keyboard and low resolution is "completely underwhelming compared to every other smartphone on the market"

"Veer should never have existed, "was a waste of [HP] resources" as market does not exist for tiny phones. Centro was an exception.

should bundle Veer with TouchPad, was underwhelming to have Veer as first HP product and to debut it alone w/o TouchPad; HP should have led with its stronger product so as to get consumers' attention--ie Pre3, TouchPad

One of the buddies says Veer is much more attractive than any cheap android phones on the market.
    Topolsky agrees but thinks HP needs more to get consumers' attention turned away from android as android is brand everyone knows and is comfortable with.

Group "incensed" at ATT for 4G branding...

http://thisismynext.com/2011/05/06/p...05-05-06-2011/
    Last edited by bluenote; 05/06/2011 at 04:32 PM.
    Hey boys and girls, Palm Infocenter has put up their first impressions as well.

HP Veer 4G Initial Impressions

It mentions battery life, something I think was asked about in this thread earlier.

Battery Life & Miscellaneous
    Out of the box, the Veer is running HP WebOS 2.1.2. Out of the 8GB of internal storage present, a bit over 6.0GB remains available immediately for user storage.

After nearly two hours of sporadic testing (no BT, no wi-fi, 10 minutes of Angry Birds, 10 minutes of web browsing over HSPA, 5 minutes of voice calls, screen either at maximum brightness or 1/2) I had about 80% of my battery remaining.
    ^ Thanks for sharing that. A very thorough first-impression post, though I disagree with the author completely about the merits of removing the gesture area. Seems like he wants webOS to be as clunky to maneuver as his Droid X's Froyo. Barf.

Still, a great read and he makes a lot of solid points.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    ^ Thanks for sharing that. A very thorough first-impression post, though I disagree with the author completely about the merits of removing the gesture area. Seems like he wants webOS to be as clunky to maneuver as his Droid X's Froyo. Barf.

Still, a great read and he makes a lot of solid points.
    Different strokes for different folks.
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
  20.    #60  
    PCworld review below;
    reading these reviews makes me think that if palm is right about there being a market for tiny size-- for fashion conscious, younger "hipsters", and biz travelers lugging around Touchpad--Veer could be sleeper hit as it has the potential to appeal to at least 3 dif markets above.
    is heartening to hear reviewers think hardware is solid, battery ok, and multitasking, stacks, just type and flash are cool features.
    HP Veer 4G Phone Review | PCWorld
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast