Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Would like to change the thread title to Veer hands-on reviews-PreCentral and others. How would I do this?
    title updated
    Honestly; this review has pumped me up with anxiousness.
    I don't see anything uncool about this phone, white or black.
    I want to hold it, but then I'll set it back down and wait for the Pre3
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by SDoo1965 View Post
    I'm have mixed feelings about the charge/USB cable. During a hospital stay, I had forgotten to pack my USB cable for my Pre. One of the nurses had a standard charger with a mini-usb cable. That saved me. Come to find out, she had a Pre from Sprint. Having and extra touch stone back (my pre is AT&T) when I went back for a check up I gave it to her. If I would have had the Veer I would have been SOL.

Is it at least touch stone compatible?
    Yes. Touchstone and Touch To Share capable.
    Quote Originally Posted by SDoo1965 View Post
    I'm have mixed feelings about the charge/USB cable. During a hospital stay, I had forgotten to pack my USB cable for my Pre. One of the nurses had a standard charger with a mini-usb cable. That saved me. Come to find out, she had a Pre from Sprint. Having and extra touch stone back (my pre is AT&T) when I went back for a check up I gave it to her. If I would have had the Veer I would have been SOL.

Is it at least touch stone compatible?
    Yes, most definitely.
    Webosroundup's review of the HP Veer

HP Veer 4G: Small Phone, Big Review | webOSroundup
    Palm IIIx >>> Palm V >>> Palm Vx >>> Tungsten T5 >>> webOS 2.1 emulator

Pre|central Peacekeepers
    SO easy anyone can do it! HP webOS First App Tutorial

If i have helped you; please click the Thanks button.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Good phone, not good enough IMO.
    I was really excited for this but then I realized I haven't seen a single piece of advertising except for the little blurb on AT&T's site.
    The Pixi Plus and Pre Plus are still advertised under their Smartphones page. It hasn't even been updated.
    ik it's sad (about marketing) it is VEERy good engineering marvel GOOD JOB HP engineers.
    Last edited by 4r4qg; 05/06/2011 at 07:54 AM.

Pre|central Peacekeepers

If i have helped you; please click the Thanks button.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    thats a great review.
    Yes. He thinks the visual display is more dull than other phones and he thinks flash doesn't work well.Of course, the problem with losing a small headphone jack has already been [over] discussed. [I personally use bluetooth with my Pre]

He likes the speed, small size, says the battery lasted a day, and webOS works smoothly. Surprisingly, the keyboard size feels fine, as good as a blackberry. Also very positive--reviewer thinks the hardware is very very solid including the slider, even better than the Pre2.

This sounds like a homerun to me. The small size would make it key for tablet (Ipad) owners who say according to Nielen that the top reason they like the tablet is because it is easy to carry around.
    Throw in a mobile hotspot, touch to share, ability to buy an app once and use it on both platforms, and you've got a solid deal without having to buy two data plans.

This could be a trojan horse way of getting IOS owners to try out webOS once again.
    Last edited by bluenote; 05/06/2011 at 08:24 AM.
    I thought that was a pretty fair review, and pretty much what I've expected of the phone. The only surprise was the HSPA+ speedtest. That seems faster than I expected.

Still, I'll be waiting for the Pre 3, but I'm considering the Veer for the wife who is still on a first gen iPhone.
    Interesting that he attributes the speed of the Veer to HSPA+. Did he test in a "4G" area? I assumed he tested in Raleigh, NC where he's based in. No 4G there.

Only other take away is that each section seemed to have a drawback. Personally mine would be the 6gb of storage, poor screen, and headphone jack adapter.

Considering the target market and competition, i don't think 99.00 is that great but moreso just doesn't matter. What matters is that you'll be paying 90 a month at least (more likely a 100+). The same premium you would on any AT&T smartphone.

If they want to sell small smartphones, they need to come up with some other kind of plan. This is absolutely reasonable considering people would tend to use less data with the smaller screen & storage. Or make tethering free. Data use might balance out more since you tend to use more data with tethering and it would make it more marketable to pair with a tablet.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 05/06/2011 at 05:29 PM. Reason: extra link removed
    Quote Originally Posted by circadia View Post
    I thought that was a pretty fair review, and pretty much what I've expected of the phone. The only surprise was the HSPA+ speedtest. That seems faster than I expected.

Still, I'll be waiting for the Pre 3, but I'm considering the Veer for the wife who is still on a first gen iPhone.
    It doesn't seem that fast since I've seen speeds like that with the iphone 4 which doesn't bear a "4G" label. It would be interesting to see the speed in one of the few areas where AT&T has enhanced backhaul which seems to be the real indicator of "4G" coverage.
    ik 5 MB down and 1+ MB up. That's crazy fast!

Pre|central Peacekeepers

Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    5 MB down and 1+ MB up. That's crazy fast!
    I'm lucky to get that speed on my Epic 4G when I connect to the WIMAX network. I typically see 3-4mb down and 1mb up.
    I saw Josh Topolsky tweeted, "Well, this is interesting". I assume he's doing that from a veer since he's using Carbon. Not sure if that's good or bad. It's probably neither.
    Since Joshua is quite a webOS fan (if he wanted, he could've destroyed Ruby on the Engadgetshow) I expect that he finds some loving words about the Veer.
    If you look at thisismynext.com which is Josh Topolsky's new site they've got pictures up of the Veer and say they're in the process of trying it out for a review.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Interesting that he attributes the speed of the Veer to HSPA+. Did he test in a "4G" area? I assumed he tested in Raleigh, NC where he's based in. No 4G there.
    Besides that, the Veer doesn't have HSPA+ anyway. The review says it does, but that's false: High-speed half-truth: AT&T, T-Mobile are dipping below HSPA+ for ’4G’ plans and branding | This is my next...
    I am a WebOS fan and do have a launch day pre...still! That being said I have to say this.

1.) Not having a standard 3.5mm jack built-in to the phone is a problem. That magnetic adaptor is going to come off when you don't want it to and after about three times I would be done.

2.) The madness known as "everyone uses a different proprietary jack for charging" I thought was refreshingly behind us as manufacturers seemed to have gained wisdom and adopted micro-usb for all. Now this? What the heck? A HUGE step backwards.

To each his own but these two issues right here are enough to take this device off my short shopping list.
    For a site dedicated to webos, that is a pretty lackluster review as far as content goes. It seems rushed and lacking in depth. Maybe they were more concerned being the first review rather than taking the time to write a thorough review.
    Quote Originally Posted by kipplitz View Post
    I am a WebOS fan and do have a launch day pre...still! That being said I have to say this.

1.) Not having a standard 3.5mm jack built-in to the phone is a problem. That magnetic adaptor is going to come off when you don't want it to and after about three times I would be done.

2.) The madness known as "everyone uses a different proprietary jack for charging" I thought was refreshingly behind us as manufacturers seemed to have gained wisdom and adopted micro-usb for all. Now this? What the heck? A HUGE step backwards.

To each his own but these two issues right here are enough to take this device off my short shopping list.
    Did you ever use something with a magnetic connector? No? Then why are you badmouthing it?

Sorry, but I had to say this. My MacBook has a magnetic power connector and I love it! It just snaps into place. It saved my MacBook from falling to the ground because someone tripped over the cable numerous times and other than that it NEVER disconnected when I didn't want it to. You're underestimating the strength of industrial magnets. If I pull at the plug I can easily drag my MacBook over the table (2.5 kg and it has rubber feet). In order to easily disconnect it I have to tilt it, thus using a lever.

I for one love the magnetic connector. I never use a headset and barely plug my Pre to the USB port. This issue is extremely exaggerated. No, I'm going even further with saying it's not even an issue people claim it to be.

Long story short: imho magnetic connectors are the best thing since sliced bread.

Yes, I can see why people want both integrated instead of using an adaptor, but why are you condemning this solution before even trying it?

What I would have preferred though would be that the USB thingy would be a simple adaptor as well, plugging into a micro USB.

I don't see any issue with the adapters as well. I always carry the connectors for my MP3 player, my Pre and my k610i around. Each has a different connector, so what? When I'm out of the door I nearly every time have a backpack. I just leave them in it and be done. For the use at home I have other connectors (Touchstone etc.).
    Last edited by FischOderAal; 05/06/2011 at 12:19 PM.
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast