Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516
    To be fair, 6/10 is right for the Veer, more is ridiculous e.g. Many WP7 seven devices got the same (just a couple got around 8/10), Sony XPeria play is around that too, I think many of those devices are far better than the veer in many aspects
    Last edited by augustofretes; 05/17/2011 at 03:49 AM.
  2.    #302  
    Quote Originally Posted by augustofretes View Post
    To be fair, 6/10 is right for the Veer, more is ridiculous e.g. Many WP7 seven devices got the same (just a couple got around 8/10), Sony XPeria play is around that too, I think many of those devices are far better than the veer in many aspects
    pcmag you are talking about? He writes that webOS is "irrelevant" because of the apps. Topolosky, say what you will (and many in this forum have said everything you can and then some) did not treat the Veer and webOS this way. He was disappointed and angry that the OS wasn't performing as he liked, because he wanted it to succeed and thought it had much promise.

This pcmag guy is the type of guy that kicks over kid's legos. Of course pcmag years ago used to be "the magazine" and now it has been passed over big time by others.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    pcmag you are talking about? He writes that webOS is "irrelevant" because of the apps. Topolosky, say what you will (and many in this forum have said everything you can and then some) did not treat the Veer and webOS this way. He was disappointed and angry that the OS wasn't performing as he liked, because he wanted it to succeed and thought it had much promise.

This pcmag guy is the type of guy that kicks over kid's legos. Of course pcmag years ago used to be "the magazine" and now it has been passed over big time by others.
    No, I meant in general.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    I went to the store and checked out the Veer for about 15 minutes. Being a release day Sprint Pre owner, I had no problems typing and navigating around with the Veer. It is a very usable touch screen phone, oriented for those that don't need large screens for their phone usage. I use Bluetooth headsets 90% of the time I use a headset, so I don't see what the issue is with the headset plug. This little phone appears durable and provides modern smartphone functionality. I think it is a winner, and the marketing people need to emphasize the functionality of WebOS on a small smart phone. I do think they should have configured the phone with a replaceable battery, but perhaps space was a real challenge.

I prefer larger screens, because I like to read web pages on the phone, but there are many people who prefer not to be staring at their phone for extended periods.
    HP is gonna need help.

So, MaximumTech posted a First Look at the HP Veer "One of the first WebOS phones." (really?). It's a two minute video. Watch and post what you see wrong with it.

MaximumTech | Maximum Tech Video First Look: The HP Veer 4G
  6.    #306  
    Huge review thread already here,enjoy reading:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-veer...al-others.html
    Not the first reviewer to attempt to "attach" the headphone adapter upside down. HP should have reversed the polarity on the magnets so that you couldn't attach it the wrong way. As it is, if you try it both ways, you'll know immediately that the cord facing up is the wrong way. The connection feels substantially more positive when attached correctly. And it is not going to come off unintentionally--the magnets are VERY strong. Wiggling it will have no effect whatsoever on the sound if it is connected properly.

I doubt there are very many users who can't figure this out. If I just keep the adapter on my headphones, I actually prefer the magnetic connecter over plugging and unplugging the 3.5mm jack.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    <<merged>>
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Defiler View Post
    HP is gonna need help.

So, MaximumTech posted a First Look at the HP Veer "One of the first WebOS phones." (really?). It's a two minute video. Watch and post what you see wrong with it.

MaximumTech | Maximum Tech Video First Look: The HP Veer 4G
    It was a short and on the whole a fair review I'd say.

As he said - if you are looking for a very small smartphone this might be right for you.

A decade ago Daimler-Benz - mostly known for it's expensive Mercedes Limousines launched a tiny car - the Smart. Only 2 seats, hardly any trunk space, weird design.
    If you have need a family car - this car is useless. If you drive all day and long trips on freeway - this car is not right for you.

But you can park it almost anywhere, it gets good mileage, doesn't cost too much, is well built and serves the purposes it was designed for. It turned out to be very successful around here as a 2nd car for the family, for pizza delivery services and singles who just need a solid, not too expensive car to do some driving in the city and/or living in an area with severe lack of parking space.

I see the Veer in the same position.

The Veer is not for power users. Not for most business users. Not for big media consumers or geeks who browse all day.

But if you want a compact phone that's smarter than a dumb phone, easy to pocket, not that expensive, ok for listening to music and occasionally some browsing - then the Veer has hardly any (any at all?) competition.
    Even power user geeks have announced interest - as a companion for the Touchpad.These users want it mostly for phone functions and will do browsing on the Touchpad - then the small screen size becomes a non-issue.

Reviewers who treat it like any other smartphone will rate it lower than reviewers who acknowledge it's intended niche and rate it accordingly.

I'd say the Veer could be fairly rated a 2-4 (out of 10) when treated as simply another smartphone. But 7-9 for it's particular niche audience.

How well the Veer fits depends on what you want most.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Browsing on the Veer is not any more challenging than browsing on the Pre, in my opinion. And I'd also have to say it's better than just "ok" for music--the sound quality is really very good, better than the original Pre.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    While webOS remains a promising platform with many desirable features, we ultimately found that the Veer, both in terms of physique and power, is not sufficient for anyone performing more than very light and infrequent tasks on their smartphones.

The inclusion of a physical keyboard makes the phone decent for messaging (though its keys are quite small) but the size of the screen and the underpowered processor can make moderate to heavy use a chore. The Veer is targeted at those who want latitude in the capabilities of their communication device, but have only a light reliance on the various functions a smartphone can perform.

Smartphone, the abridged version: Ars reviews the HP Veer
    My god! That review had so many holes in it you could call it a sieve. Some valid points are made but for the most part it was just flat out wrong on so many levels.
    Agreed. Even in the video at the end of the review (which wasn't really harsh at all), she kept saying that it performed well despite the really "small processor". What did she mean by "small"? Physically? Low clock speed?

I thought Ars was supposed to be a site for techies?

Ugh.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Well, there is at least one person touting the 'fact' that 'Playbook started guesture areas' on mobile devices:
    "One of the cooler features included in the phone is an active bezel. This is one of our favorite emerging features in tablets and smartphones, as we found on the BlackBerry PlayBook, and HP has added itself to the short list of manufacturers that are actually implementing it well."
    NNJ
    Here's one I hadn't seen before:

YouTube - &#x202a;TechTechManTV&#39;s Channel&#x202c;&rlm;

good review
    I really hate reading these reviews. They always get things wrong. For instance the Ars article said their is no way to scroll the cursor through text that all you can do is jab at a spot which is completely incorrect. You can hold color key and swipe your finger left and right to move the cursor.

I just believe that WebOS is to feature rich for some of these tech sites. But at least WebOS is starting to show up more. Even bad publicity is publicity.
    Quote Originally Posted by drahgon View Post
    I really hate reading these reviews. They always get things wrong. For instance the Ars article said their is no way to scroll the cursor through text that all you can do is jab at a spot which is completely incorrect. You can hold color key and swipe your finger left and right to move the cursor.
    Personally... I have struggled with this on iPad... I have no clue. I do trick by touch hold, click select, then try to scroll.

On Pre+ I already can do that, thanks to Precentral tips.

I think, phone without center button will have this kind of problem.
  19.    #319  
    Spare in the forums found one from Anandtech reviewer who used the phone for a month (see link below). Bottom line, the reviewer seems to think the phone's performance is smoother than most in the market (although reviewer would not use such a small phone everyday)

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-veer...ml#post2985069
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516