Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 510111213141516 LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,059 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thead View Post
    Engadget's review was mostly positive, so that's cool.
    When I give my students a 6/10 that's not mostly positive, that's a D/F.
  2.    #282  
    I skimmed the review and looks informative enough that someone who wants a small phone can feel good that they understand the issues--both how hard it might be to do large tasks with a small screen and also the "delightful" web OS as it were and the ease of carrying around such a light device that can multi-function.

It will come down to preference as I feel the Pre is too small for me to do any heavy business tasks. I carry around my laptop for those things. I might as well go smaller and save the space in my pocket (and possibly get a TouchPad).
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tekhna View Post
    When I give my students a 6/10 that's not mostly positive, that's a D/F.
    That's the problem with reviews. Websites and magazines that score on an X-out-of-4, 5, or 10 basis aren't using the same scale as a school. This isn't a scale where 70% can be below average and 60% is failing. According to Engadget a 6 means "Decent, but not as good as it could be." Even a 5 means "Fair, not great but not horrible." The written review really wasn't that hard on the phone at all.
  4.    #284  
    Phone scoop's review
    Review: HP Veer 4G : Is It Your Type? (Phone Scoop)
    not glowing
    Wired magazine just reviewed the Veer. Best quote is about the magnetic adapter:

"Magsafe-style charger — why isn’t this standard on all phones yet?"

Let’s Get Small: HP’s Tiny WebOS Smartphone | Product Reviews | Wired.com
    don't know if the wired.com review is that positiv. They basically say the same as Josh. Only a bit nicer in tone.
    "Unfortunately, the implementation suffers from a few unpleasant hiccups. Finger flicks need to be deliberate, or they won’t be registered by the device. While scrolling through the photo roll, images take a second to deblur. App loading occasionally stutters, and sometimes freezes — I found this particularly true when loading the web browser. Since games and apps functioned perfectly fine once opened, this seemed like more of a software issue than a problem with the Veer’s 800 MHz Snapdragon processor."

That's almost the same what Josh says. And engadget also points out the "hiccups". In fact the more reviews I read, the more I get the feeling that Josh's review wasn't biased at all....
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Engadget's is not very positive. It's something like "OK, if you really want it, get it". On the other hand, wired's is the most positive around. I don't believe the part with the "hiccups" is really that big in the review. And to TBH I only think that the app loading freeze is important (if it's true).
  9.    #289  
    BI picks 10 apps for Veer, gripes about limited app catalog (link at bottom of post):

Geostrings
    Carbon
    crosswords
    flightview
    timepiece
    Critical Mass
    Preware
    Feeder
    dr podder
    Tweed

strange move someone did to downgrade this thread to 2 stars, they don't like people reading reviews?

Best WebOS Apps
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    BI picks 10 apps for Veer, gripes about limited app catalog (link at bottom of post):

Geostrings
    Carbon
    crosswords
    flightview
    timepiece
    Critical Mass
    Preware
    Feeder
    dr podder
    Tweed

strange move someone did to downgrade this thread to 2 stars, they don't like people reading reviews?

Best WebOS Apps
    Honestly, I"m not sure they tried too hard to find good apps. I mean, just throwing out an example, they mention TuneIn Radio as being one of the best radio experiences on Windows Phone 7 in the subsequent article, but they don't also care that that is available for webOS? Other "best" apps mentioned in the WP7 article that are available on webOS: Assassin's Creed, Earthworm Jim, Need for Speed Undercover, Foursquare, Flixster, Facebook.

So they've got 38 'best WP7 apps you're not using' but when those same apps work on the Pre, they're not worthy of mentioning and there's only 10 best apps there?

I mean, okay, some of the games don't work on the Veer screen, and maybe that's all they looked using, but they specifically say that these are the best apps for the Veer or Pre 2, which is misleading.
  11.    #291  
    Thanks to riw who has spotted the MobileTechReview, mostly a 12 min video (link at bottom to the site). Reviewer Lisa Gade, who is the head of the site, founded over 10 years ago, took her time. She's very good and has a calm voice and pacing which helped get the info across on video. Site was sparse on text. In the video, she showed plenty of apps and the native functions, showed the simcard slot along with the other hardware features. Felt like a trustworthy review to me, I understood what I could do with the phone and its positive features as well as understanding what the phone may not be meant for, because of its small size. Lisa was also up-to-date on other reviews as well as the BestBuy promo.

I will bookmark the site, would like to hear Lisa's review of the TouchPad and Pre3 when they come.

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ubbt...p?Number=40647

JHoff, I think some reviewers might be confused over which apps work for Veer/Pixi and which for Pre/Pre2. If they are, this is a failure of HP.
    Last edited by bluenote; 05/14/2011 at 08:58 PM.
    That was impressive in how even keel, comprehensive, and objective she was. Wow. Makes This Is My Next... dude seem raving mad.
  13.    #293  
    Agreed that Lisa Gade ranks among the best reviews we've seen, makes the AP review look lopsided, too bad that review is the one syndicated in newspapers across country.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Agreed that Lisa Gade ranks among the best reviews we've seen, makes the AP review look lopsided, too bad that review is the one syndicated in newspapers across country.

She is the one of the best reviewers for phones. She convinced me of get the Sidekick4g which is a great phone, but i can't stand the os.
    Lisa doesn't realise that the Veer screen is the same size as the Pixi

Palm Pixi owners might be accustomed to that resolution (albeit on a larger screen),......
    PC Mag reviewed the Veer on ATT today.

HP Veer (AT&T) Review & Rating | PCMag.com

It got less than shining marks. All the things we have heard in here by different members. Too small, keyboard too small, magnetic headphone jack totally lame, bluetooth problems. It's not a shining start for HP with their renewal of WebOS. Too bad they didn't use some common sense and at least make it more in line with the phones that are on the market. At least big enough to have a normal head phone jack and universal charge plug. The small size and keyboard are ok, but I think and it seems PC Mag agrees that the lame magnetic connector is going to be a shoot down for many buyers, all on it's own, forget WebOS, and all the great things about the phone.
    Last edited by sandlizard; 05/16/2011 at 10:23 PM. Reason: spelling
    HPs first WebOS phone to introduce to the market should have been a slab.

If they couldnt do that then should have been the Pre3... not mini-me.
    I really don't think the best way to get noticed is by sending out yet another virtual keyboard brick. HP will be the only company with multiple sizes and form factors.
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
    I really don't think the best way to get noticed is by sending out yet another virtual keyboard brick. HP will be the only company with multiple sizes and form factors.
    Are you saying no other company has multiple sizes or form factors?

A slab is definitely the best way for HP to get noticed. The Touchpad will be evidence of that.
  20.    #300  
    Quote Originally Posted by sandlizard View Post
    PC Mag reviewed the Veer on ATT today.
    pcmag a poor review, the guy liked some things but already had made up his mind that webOS has lost because not enough apps. If not going to give webOS a chance to reboot on relaunch, why review the products? If I were running that mag, I would replace that reviewer.

Gizmodo a very fun review, clear he is marveling at the phone despite real (or perceived) flaws, knows the large phone obsession has been taken to absurdity:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-veer...rush-veer.html