Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    LMAO! Duly noted sir!
    NNJ
    *saves image*
    Here's a good review, by the way.
    Hp veer first impressions- The Inquirer
    It's a good phone for what it is. The only question is.. what is it?
    http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...hp-veer-review

"We were unable to test battery life in our relatively short test of the Veer. The device's size does mean it has a smaller battery than other smartphones, but the lower power draw of its 800MHz processor and 2.6-inch screen should compensate somewhat for that."

"After HP unveiled the Veer we asked the question, just who would want such a device? After playing around with the Veer, it's still difficult to tell. "

" The Veer isn't a 'party phone' but rather a diet smartphone"

"Despite our lingering doubts about the Veer's ability to sell in large numbers, HP has done a great job in creating a small, fast smartphone that has a good screen and keyboard. But above all, the Veer makes you realise just how excellent HP's WebOS really is"

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    Ok, it seems like the reviews for the phone that don't come from HP/Palm fan websites range from bad to mediocre. Agreed?
    If you feel you've gathered enough evidence to conclude it's a bad device, why the need to have others agree with you?
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    As I said in another thread, CNet is a joke. I bet Bonnie Cha would have found the Veer's experience more enjoyable if she hadn't been trying to put the headphone adapter on upside-down. Also it's interesting to note that the Veer's radio is apparently "CDMA2000 1X." Truly, they should just retire.

That said, I found her review more complete, at least, than most I've seen on that site.

Anyway, here's Bloomberg's video review:

6.    #266  
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post

Bloomberg takeaways:

webOS "is the only operating system second to Apple in terms of use for its ease of use, polish and general elegance";

Veer is the "ipod nano of phones"

size is good for someone with small hands like women and children and will be difficult for others with larger hands to manipulate keyboard and screen;

size could make it difficult finding at bottom of a backpack

lack of apps a problem

speed will be eclipsed by LTE later in the year

conclusion:
    "I like it even if its probably not for me"
    phone "won't make you forget about Apple" but "worth a look if [small] size matters to you"

from the video: can clearly see how small the phone is; it is very impressive, looks the size of a large cookie in his hand

I like this review a lot, he tried hard to say both positives and negatives even though he doesn't think phone is for his large hands.

The AP reviewer was hampered by the fact that she needs to look at long news articles and type long emails, things I don't even like doing on the Pre. You can see how personal the use of a phone has become, it reaches into personal reading and communication style for instance, as opposed to the old flip phone Motorola days when people carried around a monster that mostly could not get a signal.

reviewer's name is Rich Jaroslovsky
    Last edited by bluenote; 05/12/2011 at 07:42 AM.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Bloomberg's review seems pretty objective. I like that he mentioned how much he likes webOS as an operating system and that it's second only to iOS in terms of elegance. Calling the Veer the "iPod Nano of Phones" is an AWESOME moniker, IMO. Is the iPod Nano for everyone? Certainly not.. I have an iPod Classic, myself, due to the sheer size of my music collection. But for others, it's the perfect size.. much like I think the Veer will be.
  8.    #268  
    Score from USA Today, 3 out of 4 stars!

I was waiting for this review as I remember liking this reviewer Ed Baig from the Pre review, he is a fan.
    So all the big reviews are now out except for NY Times, Pogue has a weak ATT signal at his house so he may be struggling to review.
    With WSJ, Bloomberg and USA Today weighing in positively (AP and former Engadget dude Topolsky a negative), it seems clear mainstream press views webOS mainly in a positive light. The Veer has a chance depending on the reviews for the TouchPad, carrier salesperson attitude, and how quickly the apps get developed and webOS 2.xx gets optimized and/or 3.0 gets pushed to the phones.

Excerpts from USA Today:

"Veer. As a fan of the original WebOS-based device, the Palm Pre, it's refreshing to see that elegant software platform live on in the Veer, a prelude to other WebOS devices promised from HP this summer, including an upcoming tablet and new version of the Pre.

As on its predecessors, you engage the WebOS screen interface through finger motions or gestures. Multiple apps can be opened at the same time, through a clever deck-of-cards-like screen metaphor.

The Palm Synergy feature lets you easily collect, coordinate and consolidate all your personal information from many Web sources, including your e-mail, contacts and calendar. I did encounter one snag — apparently because of subsequent software updates since I reviewed earlier WebOS devices — I couldn't populate Veer with all my information based on a so-called Palm Profile I had previously set up.

With only about 6,000 apps in HP's App Catalog store, the Veer badly trails Android (200,000-plus) and Apple (around 350,000).

The Veer battery (unlike Infuse's) is not removable, but at least it survived a full day of mixed use on a single charge. The qwerty keyboard is usable, but I'm not wild about its tiny keys.

And I can't imagine spending much time watching movies on the Veer. But the 320-by-400-pixel screen is decent for surfing the Web. The handset comes with 8 GB of internal user storage and a 5-megapixel camera.

WebOS is a big-time mobile operating system that in this case is trapped in a compact capsule of a phone.

THE BOTTOM LINE

AT&T HP Veer 4G

www.palm.com/veer

$100 (with two-year contract)

Three stars (out of four)

Pro. Petite phone is small and light. WebOS operating system.

Con. Small screen won't appeal to all. Ditto for physical keyboard. Weak on apps.

AT&T has 2 new phones - USATODAY.com
    Last edited by bluenote; 05/12/2011 at 10:00 AM.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    " But the 320-by-400-pixel screen is decent for surfing the Web. "
    And that's all I needed to know.
    NNJ
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Doesn't mediocre mean "just okay"?
    Maybe by definition. But by perception, it's worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    As I said in another thread, CNet is a joke. I bet Bonnie Cha would have found the Veer's experience more enjoyable if she hadn't been trying to put the headphone adapter on upside-down. Also it's interesting to note that the Veer's radio is apparently "CDMA2000 1X." Truly, they should just retire.

That said, I found her review more complete, at least, than most I've seen on that site.

I agree with you on that one. CNet's reviews of any product are a joke.
    Did you notice how she put the headphones dongle on wrong? Lol Bonnie.

I like the reviews that review it for what it is. The only thing is that the majority want larger screens and therefore the reviewers compare it.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    I agree with you on that one. CNet's reviews of any product are a joke.
    While I agree that Cnet is basically useless and that their reviews read like they've been written in 20 min or less, they are ALWAYS at the top of Google results for "Device X review". That SEOSEOSEO $has$ $to$ $make$ $whatever$ $they$ $say$ $in$ $their$ $2$ $min$ $video$ $pretty$ $influential$ $among$ $the$ $non$-$tech$ $crowd$ $that$ $HP$ $is$ $trying$ $to$ $attract$ $with$ $this$ $phone$. $So$ $it$'$s$ $unfortunate$ $they$ $only$ $give$ $it$ $2$.$5$ $stars$.

At the same time, if everyone here were to go give it a great user review on Cnet extolling webOS, that could likely lessen the blow.
    This is an interesting review from Business Insider. He hates, well, almost everything about it but he still recommends it...with caveats:

Despite all my gripes with the underpowered processor and small screen, I'd still recommend the Veer 4G. Why? Because at $99.99, it's the cheapest and most fun-to-use ultra-portable smartphone on the market. Key words being "ultra portable."

A $49.99 iPhone 3GS is a better bet if you don't need super portability or if you prefer a big screen. But if you want portability and wonderful messaging features, the Veer 4G is a great bet.
    HP's Veer 4G Is Useless For Everything But Messaging
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    This is an interesting review from Business Insider. He hates, well, almost everything about it but he still recommends it...with caveats:

HP's Veer 4G Is Useless For Everything But Messaging
    So, according to him the Veer is "underpowered" but the 2 year old iPhone 3GS is not....

3GS: 256mb ram, 600mhz processor
    Veer: 512mb ram, 800mhz processor

hmm...I smell an iphone ******
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    So, according to him the Veer is "underpowered" but the 2 year old iPhone 3GS is not....

3GS: 256mb ram, 600mhz processor
    Veer: 512mb ram, 800mhz processor

hmm...I smell an iphone ******
    I think he's saying the iPhone 3GS is a better option despite the aging hardware in it.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    I've got a funny feeling about that iPhone 3GS:
    NNJ
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Check out this great . I thought about making a new thread, considering it one of the best reviews of the Veer, but there are many threads about the same stuff already.

He doesn't consider the Veer perfect, which it obviously isn't, but reviews it for what it is. I really enjoyed it.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrewd View Post
    Check out this great . I thought about making a new thread, considering it one of the best reviews of the Veer, but there are many threads about the same stuff already.

He doesn't consider the Veer perfect, which it obviously isn't, but reviews it for what it is. I really enjoyed it.
    Thanks for the link! I really liked his review of the Veer as well.

He seemed to be fairly familiar with webOS, I dunno why else he would have webOS 2.1 on his original Sprint Pre, haha.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Engadget's review was mostly positive, so that's cool.