Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516 LastLast
  1.    #241  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    LOL, good point! But precisely for that, you have to hand it to someone who at least brings an analyst's article (you know, some one who gets paid for this for a living) to the table.

Not that you can't find a link that disputes said analyst, but its certainly more credible than a mere opinion, don't you think?
    Looking at the BGR article, the analyst was someone doing a "channel check", which means they called up a limited number of places which they are hope are representative of a trend. While these "checks" are helpful to their readers in raising issues and pointing towards possible trends, most people take them with a grain of salt because they are limited. The analyst simply does not have the resources to call a statistical scientifically meaningful sample; their readers know that if they need that type of analysis they will have to pay more money and buy a report from a stand alone research outfit that specializes in this type of intensive work.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I would say the bigger screens are what people are going for now.
    But then again, now we have tablets.
    If they're packing around a tablet the majority of the time, maybe all they need is a nice small pocketable device as a compliment.
    For example,
    right now I'm sitting in my parked car looking at my big screen phone.
    When I could be looking at a nice tablet.
    Then when I jump out of my car and start walking, I have my nice light one-handed device that's perfectly in sync with where I left off doing on my tablet.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    And your research consisted of....?
    Sorry, I'm not in this forum to argue Apple sales figures. However, I just noted that given that it is customary for Apple customers to be 'chic' and 'trendy' the sales for the old phone will fall away. This may show a trend.
    NNJ
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    I would say the bigger screens are what people are going for now.
    But then again, now we have tablets.
    If they're packing around a tablet the majority of the time, maybe all they need is a nice small pocketable device as a compliment.
    Exactly me.. sort of. Big personal phone, big work phone, iPad2.. too much. I'm going to be shedding some serious baggage trimming down to a Veer. After all, with the iPad2 and the iPhone4 (work), how much do I need my personal phone to do besides be a communication/social networking device? Not much
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    another mediocre review. interesting that the reviews are all over the map for the Veer.

at least the phone looked like it performed pretty well in the video though, no performance problems to mention.
  8.    #248  
    Associated Press reviewer doesn't like the phone,
    AP feed runs in many newspapers across the country.
    Excerpt below:
    Review: For smartphones, what's too big or small?
    AP
    By RACHEL METZ, AP Technology Writer – Wed May 11, 5:10 pm ET

...The Veer's tiny screen, however, made my hands feel enormous, which they aren't for someone who is barely 5'3". I also felt clumsy holding the phone, especially with the keyboard closed, as it felt too small for my hand. Like a slippery bar of soap, it almost flew out of my hands several times as I tried to slide open the keyboard. Calls sounded OK, but it was weird holding such a tiny nugget of a phone up to my ear.

The phone includes access to HP's App Catalog, which has Foursquare, Facebook and some other popular apps you'd find on the iPhone or a phone running Google Inc.'s Android software. There are only about 6,000 apps in all, though, so the selection is much slimmer than iPhone's or Android's. You won't find an app for eBay or the "Words With Friends" game here.

The Veer seems most well-suited for "snacking." You'll be fine looking up a restaurant, checking email, updating Twitter or any other simple task.

But trying to use it extensively for a single task is difficult and not worth the trouble. Although Web pages looked sharp on the screen and videos streamed well over AT&T's "4G" network, I didn't really want to read full news articles or watch clips on such an itty-bitty screen. My fingers felt cramped on the tiny keyboard, so I didn't have the patience to send extensive messages...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110511/...lld2ZvcnNtYQ--
    Last edited by bluenote; 05/11/2011 at 09:31 PM.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    "We can see where HP is headed with this, targeting those with feature phones who want a smartphone, but don't want to get the big clunky phones out there now. But at that price I'd recommend the HTC Inspire 4G or Samsung Focus." LOL!
    Seems like in a world full of people amazed by a brick that's the size of your head for a phone that you have to hold up to your ear with 2 hands HP will have it's work cut out trying to get people not to 'feel weird holding such a tiny phone up to your ear'.
    I guess none of those people used dumb phones.
    NNJ
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    To see full review, go to news.yahoo.com/technology and look for it on the right hand side, I would give you a link but it has a bunch of letters in a string that is so long it seems ridiculous.
    Edit your post, block select the word link, click on the Insert Link icon above the message box (it's the icon with the globe with a chain link on it), then copy and paste the link into the box that pops up.
    That way, we don't see the bunch of letters in a string so long it seems ridiculous.
    NNJ
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Is this it?
    NNJ
  12.    #252  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    Edit your post, block select the word link, click on the Insert Link icon above the message box (it's the icon with the globe with a chain link on it), then copy and paste the link into the box that pops up.
    That way, we don't see the bunch of letters in a string so long it seems ridiculous.
    edited, link still is too long but you all will not see the letters unless you wish, i suppose the link is long because of yahoo cookies.
  13.    #253  
    Is this it?
    yes, your link is clean so i will put it in my post
    edit:nope yours is as bad as mine in length, i put up w yahoo cookies because i read the AP feed, like it better than google news.
    Ok, it seems like the reviews for the phone that don't come from HP/Palm fan websites range from bad to mediocre. Agreed?
  15.    #255  
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    Ok, it seems like the reviews for the phone that don't come from HP/Palm fan websites range from bad to mediocre. Agreed?
    Not the enthusiastic WSJ one which is highly influential. Unfortunately, AP is also highly influential and its feed is used across the country. I assume the WSJ writer liked the fashion nature of the phone and was writing shorter messages, the AP writer wanted to use it to write her articles on the fly because AP has such strict constant deadlines so they need to file right away and be constantly up to date on news, that is why she tried to write a long email and also to read extensive news articles and watch clips.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    I disagree, the last 2 reviews on Yahoo and Chipchick I thought were fair. They obviously have their preferences, but still gave what they thought about the phone minus any - I'll go right out and say it - staged attempt to unfairly justify down rating the phone.
    Let me clarify again - they don't know about any (wrongly?) perceived errors one experiences in webOS' mail while in your Trash Folder trying to delete a long list of emails one at a time while the phone is syncing to put a video of it in your review to justify your low rating while muttering 'it did that fast enough, but trust me, it runs slow'.
    But we've been through that already enough, eh?
    NNJ
    Not really. PC Mag, Laptop Review, Anandtech, WSJ, Chip Chick, CNET. I wouldn't call those bad or mediocre. More like just ok. And those aren't so called HP/Palm fan websites. Again, outside of the This is My Next Review, the majority of the reviews boil down to the phone is small, appeals to a certain audience, ok for certain tasks and decent speed.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Not really. PC Mag, Laptop Review, Anandtech, WSJ, Chip Chick, CNET. I wouldn't call those bad or mediocre. More like just ok. And those aren't so called HP/Palm fan websites. Again, outside of the This is My Next Review, the majority of the reviews boil down to the phone is small, appeals to a certain audience, ok for certain tasks and decent speed.
    Doesn't mediocre mean "just okay"?
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Doesn't mediocre mean "just okay"?
    Yes.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    I disagree, the last 2 reviews on Yahoo and Chipchick I thought were fair. They obviously have their preferences, but still gave what they thought about the phone minus any - I'll go right out and say it - staged attempt to unfairly justify down rating the phone.
    Let me clarify again - they don't know about any (wrongly?) perceived errors one experiences in webOS' mail while in your Trash Folder trying to delete a long list of emails one at a time while the phone is syncing to put a video of it in your review to justify your low rating while muttering 'it did that fast enough, but trust me, it runs slow'.
    But we've been through that already enough, eh?
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.