Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 278910111213141516 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    "The only thing he didn't like"

It was a female reviewer.
    Haha wow, good catch
    I think we are beginning to move past the smartphone era and into the superphone era. The veer is a more than capable smartphone. I'm not quite sure I'm ready to call anything a superphone yet, I'll reserve that until I see 3ghz dual core processors, but we're moving along.

Anyways it's great that a huge publication like the Wall Street Journal gave it a great review. Highly trusted, highly credible source.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I'm not sure how will be the rating, but one review I'm expecting is the Techno Buffalo one. In my opinion, one of the most unbiased reviewers out there: John especifically says he prefers the iPhone as his primary device, but in a comparisson, he rated the BB Torch on par with it, for functionality and other stuff RIM does well.

But so far, the consensus is that the Veer is a tiny and powerful smartphone. I already expressed my disappointment with the This is my next review, but it seems it's the only one so harsh and biased that the reviewer never stepped back and admired the device for what it is. I don't care if he thinks it doesn't have a market, or that no one will be interested: it's purely subjective, and doesn't have anything to do with the device.

So far, loving the Veer.
  4.    #224  
    This is interesting. AllthingsD annual conference is May 31-June 2 and Apotheker is one of the speakers. Would HP debut the TouchPad (Pre3) at this time and then head into HP Discovery conference on June 6th? He would have to at least bring all the devices to his talk (and Mossberg would give his opinion):

About D9 | AllThingsD
    From May 31 to June 2, 2011, D creators and executive producers Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher will put the industry’s top players to the test at our ninth annual D: All Things Digital conference. Since its debut in 2003, The Wall Street Journal’s D: All Things Digital conference has been breaking news, highlighting innovation, and bringing you straight-up conversations with the most influential figures in media and technology. Nearly a decade’s worth of groundbreaking innovation has unfolded live on the D stage and we’re looking forward to even more at D9.

Here is the initial line-up of speakers at D9:

Marc Andreessen | Co-Founder and General Partner, Andreessen Horowitz

Léo Apotheker | CEO of Hewlett-Packard

**** Costolo | CEO of Twitter

Ralph de la Vega | President and CEO, AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets
    AT&T

Dr. Regina Dugan | director of DARPA, the research and development office for the U.S. Department of Defense

Stephen Elop | CEO of Nokia

Reed Hastings | Chairman & CEO of Netflix

Bob Iger | CEO of Disney

Jack Ma | CEO of the Alibaba Group

Andrew Mason | CEO of Groupon

Shantanu Narayen | CEO of Adobe

Mark Pincus | CEO of Zynga

Eric Schmidt | incoming Executive Chairman and outgoing CEO of Google
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    I'm not sure the old iPhone, even at $49 dollars will be in high demand anymore. Consumer's natural habit of being chic and in style will make that a hard sell. Which is why the Veer is priced as it is.
    Appears to not be the case:

Previous-generation iPhone 3GS, iPad still outsell new Android devices, analyst claims | BGR

Quote Originally Posted by BGR.com
    The real bad news for Apple’s competition, however, is that according to the analyst’s checks with retail sales channels, Apple’s old iPhone 3GS is still outselling competitors’ offerings at AT&T and Apple’s first-generation iPad is still outselling other tablets at Verizon. “Interestingly, our April checks indicated continued strong demand for the iPhone 3GS at AT&T and iPad 1 at Verizon, as these older generation products with reduced prices often outsold new Android products,” Walkley wrote.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    I like the use of the word 'appears'. However, that's one website, Apple cheerleading, with and article titled 'analyst claims', said analyst 'made some checks at a few retailers'.
    NNJ
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    blackmagic01,

I shortened this up, but Wow! Hard to believe you & I read & watched the same review. In my initial response, I found I was simply saying a lot of what Nyallj already said in his post so I have cut it down to this:

You said, "Obviously you can feel free to respond. But i'm only marginally interested in how the veer does so i can't say that I'll respond back cause I'm kinda bored with it and i made my point. However, good luck to you though."

I think the admission you are only marginally interested says a lot. I appreciate the wish for good luck--to you too.

Just so you know, I don't plan on buying this phone for me because it doesn't meet my needs. I do, however, plan on buying it for my niece if she likes it at the store. I prefer the capabilities of the Pre 3.

Did he recommend the iPhone 4 knowing the dropped call problems it had? I don't know, just wondering.

Cheers
    Last edited by Mike5; 05/11/2011 at 10:38 AM.
  8.    #228  
    I agree that Derek at PreCentral not finding a lag (as well as the WSJ not mentioning one and the other reviewers) goes a long way towards calming my fears about performance.

The one good thing about Topolsky review is that he is pointing out that 2.xx is still not optimized. If this pushes HP towards allocating more resources to Palm so they can do both 2.xx and 3.xx at the same time, it will be a good thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    If this pushes HP towards allocating more resources to Palm so they can do both 2.xx and 3.xx at the same time, it will be a good thing.
    Don't count on this. I just don't see them spending any effort on redoing Mojo apps for 2.x when they're clearly redoing everything in Enyo.
  10.    #230  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Don't count on this. I just don't see them spending any effort on redoing Mojo apps for 2.x when they're clearly redoing everything in Enyo.
    So they either need to optimize 2.xx or figure out a way to transition the phones to 3.0 which means figuring out the gesture area and the older apps.
    Either way, I'm assuming they have devoted most of their resources to the tablet and have not focused on the phones, they need to turn this around before launch if they don't want to risk getting more reviews in the Topolsky flavor.
    Yes, it was nice Derek was asked specific questions, and he answered them directly and honestly.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Yes, it was nice Derek was asked specific questions, and he answered them directly and honestly.
    I still love that photo of that pouch!
    NNJ
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    He reviewed both the Centro and the Pixi during his time at Engadget. Here, let me Google that for you:

Engadget - Palm Pixi Review

Engadget - Palm Centro Review
    Thanks! I knew I could have googled them. My point was he reviewed other phones w/small screens &...it didn't matter.

From his update on the Pixi: "Without question, this phone for $30 is an incredible value and without compare in the world of smartphones. If that kind of price becomes the norm with this device, it would be hard not to recommend it to buyers."

And:

"Like the Pre, the Pixi is an incredibly sexy piece of hardware. Whether your prefer larger devices or not, you'd be hard pressed to deny the sheer attractiveness of this phone."

Interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    I like the use of the word 'appears'. However, that's one website, Apple cheerleading, with and article titled 'analyst claims', said analyst 'made some checks at a few retailers'.
    And your research consisted of....?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    Thanks! I knew I could have googled them. My point was he reviewed other phones w/small screens &...it didn't matter.
    Although that was five years ago! Were "big" screens even a topic of discussion back then? Was anyone really having much success browsing the internet on a screen (which is presumably the advantage of a big screen)?
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    And your research consisted of....?
    How much 'research' do most here put into their posts?
    I would say the bigger screens are what people are going for now.
    But then again, now we have tablets.
    If they're packing around a tablet the majority of the time, maybe all they need is a nice small pocketable device as a compliment.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    How much 'research' do most here put into their posts?
    LOL, good point! But precisely for that, you have to hand it to someone who at least brings an analyst's article (you know, some one who gets paid for this for a living) to the table.

Not that you can't find a link that disputes said analyst, but its certainly more credible than a mere opinion, don't you think?
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Although that was five years ago! Were "big" screens even a topic of discussion back then? Was anyone really having much success browsing the internet on a screen (which is presumably the advantage of a big screen)?
    Hi. Actually, the Pixi review was 11/12/09--about 1 1/2 years ago, not 5 years ago.

Obviously, a bigger screen has advantages. BUT, in the tiniest smartphone in the world (or any other small phone), the buyer knows & expects a smaller screen.

I used to watch the NBA, and golf tournaments on my Treo via SlingBox. No problems. Presentation could certainly be better on larger screens, but if a larger screen means a larger phone, that large screen can be a drawback.

I tested the Evo for 30 days. Tons of people like it. I did not. Matter of taste & what is important to you. I hope the Pre 3 will be just right for me.
    LOL, good point! But precisely for that, you have to hand it to someone who at least brings an analyst's article (you know, some one who gets paid for this for a living) to the table.

Not that you can't find a link that disputes said analyst, but its certainly more credible than a mere opinion, don't you think?
    Yes, I agree.