Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I've seen this mentioned more than once. With a tablet, no need for a bigger screen phone and so on. I don't really consider the iphone that huge of a phone though but i'm happy with a 3.5" screen.

Thing about the tablet argument is that you don't take them everywhere. A phone you do. Being able to use your smartphone to browse the web or whatever when you're out is part of the appeal.

How does owning a tablet or pad change any of this? Not to mention the monthly plan is the same. The device cost itself is irrelevant.

True, if you got your tablet handy, you're likely to use it. But even if you got a 4.5" phone, that still remains true. But more importantly, you won't have that tablet with you much of the time.
    While u make valid points to this, I'm going to have to completely agree with j_Benj he seems to have a similar outlook on it as i do. Tablets can't go absolutely everywhere but it's pretty close, and until you use one and incorporate it into your daily life it's just not the same. But, as a counter point to the sheer size of a 4.5" screen and it's portability vs. The smallness of the veers screen, just ask the millions of BB users and small amount of pixie users, they can attest that there screens are more than functional, especially on the go where there tablet doesn't follow.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    This is his webOS 2 review at Endgadget.

Allow me to quote a bit from it:
    "There were also moments of staggered scrolling or freezes, mostly due to syncing, which made the experience uneven in some places."

I now see how he was able to simulate the error he used to mark the Veer down. Is his review in light of the above still credible in your eyes?
    Uh...yes. All you did was re-iterate what I said. Josh stated he saw those problems in his webOS 2.0 review, but that he felt it was due to growing pains. Seven months later he has a new phone, with an updated 2.0....and those problems are still there. With his first review, he gave HP/Palm the benefit of the doubt on their major webOS upgrade. Now that's been seven months later in the fast moving smartphone market, he no longer feels he should have to give HP/Palm the benefit of the doubt and that those problems should not exist, especially not with the competition HP/Palm faces.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Guys, I posted a while back a story from Variety that says HP is giving the TouchPad and Veer to celebs at Cannes this weekend, I am surprised this didn't get more attention.
    That there deserves it's own thread!
    NNJ
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Allow me to quote a bit from it:
    "There were also moments of staggered scrolling or freezes, mostly due to syncing, which made the experience uneven in some places."
    Ummm.. this happens on my Epic as well. It's just a fact that heavy data use can compromise the performance of the processor on any phone. In fact, my Epic lags on a daily basis.. hitching during scrolling.. app loading.. swiping between homescreens.. it happens. It gets even worse if I don't close out apps when I'm done with them.. multitasking more than a couple of apps on my Android phone results in an extremely noticeable decrease in overall performance.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Uh...yes. All you did was re-iterate what I said. Josh stated he saw those problems in his webOS 2.0 review, but that he felt it was due to growing pains. Seven months later he has a new phone, with an updated 2.0....and those problems are still there. With his first review, he gave HP/Palm the benefit of the doubt on their major webOS upgrade. Now that's been seven months later in the fast moving smartphone market, he no longer feels he should have to give HP/Palm the benefit of the doubt and that those problems should not exist, especially not with the competition HP/Palm faces.
    That 'problem' seemed in that video to me to be more of a user problem, than a problem with the OS. Speaks a lot for somebody to be so bitter about one perceived 'problem' with an OS to ***** about the device which is what he was reviewing to mark it down 5/10.
    NNJ
    That 'problem' seemed in that video to me to be more of a user problem, than a problem with the OS. Speaks a lot for somebody to be so bitter about one perceived 'problem' with an OS to ***** about the device which is what he was reviewing to mark it down 5/10.
    You didn't even used the webOS phone before. How do you know it's user's fault? I had Palm Pre Plus and I had same issue with Josh. HP/Palm never fixed it. They never improved the email app. Josh knew the issue and he basically reproduced the problem. Most of other reviewer just showed the surface of the webOS, Josh went directly to the existing problem and hoping it was fixed by webOS team.
    Why do you feel a review of a device should be independent of its software? If that's the case, why send anybody a review unit? Just give them a spec sheet. If he feels like the software is PITA to use on the phone, I expect his marking of the review to reflect that. Further, Josh mentioned the bogging down and scrolling problem was seen throughout the device, but especially email. But for argument's sake, let's just say it's the one problem.

WHO CARES?!

As a business user, I'm sure he wants email to be a reliable and fast experience. If the one problem is something he's going to use a crapton on the device, it's one BIG problem.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    You didn't even used the webOS phone before. How do you know it's user's fault? I had Palm Pre Plus and I had same issue with Josh. HP/Palm never fixed it. They never improved the email app. Josh knew the issue and he basically reproduced the problem. Most of other reviewer just showed the surface of the webOS, Josh went directly to the existing problem and hoping it was fixed by webOS team.
    And that of course, makes his review credible. Don't bother showing how the phone actually performed doing everyday things. Show a problem somebody has spending time in his Trash Folder trying to delete over 300 messages while the phone is synchronising. I mean, everybody just does that everyday, so webOS has to be ****ty, right?
    NNJ
    And that of course, makes his review credible. Don't bother showing how the phone actually performed doing everyday things. Show a problem somebody has spending time in his Trash Folder trying to delete over 300 messages while the phone is synchronising. I mean, everybody just does that everyday, so webOS has to be ****ty, right?
    I use my phone to sync with my company exchange server. Every morning, I get atleast 40 to 50 emails in my inbox. Do you know how painful it is for me to move those emails into separate folders using webOS email app? And I have done same exact thing that Josh performed in the video review. Why do you thing that's not important? Just because you don't do it, it doesn't apply to everyone else. Email is very important task and that's the main reason I got the smartphone. If HP wants to have their webOS phones to the business, they better improve their email app.

And plus, you never even used the webOS phone before. What do you really know about the webOS and the bugs we have. You are keep blaming on users, since you never have any issue when you played with Pre in Verizon store, right?
    iPhone gets reviewed, has major problems that get ignored because rest of the phone works great for everyday use, and phone is fast, gets 9/10.

Atrix gets reviewed, has major problems that get ignored because rest of the phone works great for everyday use, and phone is fast, gets 9/10.

Veer gets reviewed, has minor problems that get magnified and blown out of proportion even though it works better than the previous phones for everyday use, and phone is fast, gets 5/10.

Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    iPhone gets reviewed, has major problems that get ignored because rest of the phone works great for everyday use, and phone is fast, gets 9/10.

Atrix gets reviewed, has major problems that get ignored because rest of the phone works great for everyday use, and phone is fast, gets 9/10.

Veer gets reviewed, has minor problems that get magnified and blown out of proportion even though it works better than the previous phones for everyday use, and phone is fast, gets 5/10.
    Nailed it.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    LOL! I just read the first page, but the similarities are remarkable. But how popular did the Pixi get? Did it fail miserably?
    NNJ
    <thread cleaned>

please refrain from arguing and name calling. thanks
    LOL! I just read the first page, but the similarities are remarkable. But how popular did the Pixi get? Did it fail miserably?
    I wouldn't say so... I would say out of all the phones the Pixi was the biggest success! Everyone's got one for like $50 $40 $20 off contract now.. super deal! I expect the Veer to have these same off contract deals in a year or so..
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Looking at PCs video review, the Veer is really an impressive device. I was wondering how pinch to zoom would handle browsing, and the display in the video satisfies me. Very workable. Phone multitasks exceptionally I think. And the games look incredible!
    NNJ
  17.    #197  
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluenote
    Guys, I posted a while back a story from Variety that says HP is giving the TouchPad and Veer to celebs at Cannes this weekend, I am surprised this didn't get more attention.
    That there deserves it's own thread!
    OK, maybe a lame attempt to "veer" the conversation away in this thread to some other topic as it feels we have chewed one reviewer's opinion to death and its time to move on (to chewing up other reviewers and why HP cannot hire more Palm software devs so they can optimize 3.0 and 2.xx at the same time).

All kidding aside, the Variety announcement shows HP is bundling the two items together suggesting it wants one to think of the Veer's utility as part of a tablet package.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post

All kidding aside, the Variety announcement shows HP is bundling the two items together suggesting it wants one to think of the Veer's utility as part of a tablet package.
    Makes sense for me. I read my books on the Treo Pro, and wish for a bigger screen constantly. The Veer's screen is slightly bigger, and before the Veer's reviews, I was thinking that I would get the Pre3. But after seeing the Veer's performance, I am thinking I can justify (to my wife) the cost of a Touchpad easier if I own a Veer, than if I own a Pre3. The argument? I can read better on the Touchpad than the Veer.
    NNJ
    Quote Originally Posted by jkpritchard View Post
    Strange, though, that Derek et al. haven't reported poor performance at all . . .
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast