Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1.    #1  
    Saw this tweet from webOS Internals a few minutes ago:

    AT&T exclusivity means HP will not be able to sell unlocked GSM Veer devices like they did for Pre 2. O2 Germany is now the only hope left
    I'd never even considered that an AT&T exclusivity deal meant HP was prevented from selling full-price unlocked Veers on HP.com. Can anyone confirm this?
  2. #2  
    Exclusively means "the only way to get it" in the respective country.

    Maybe you will be able to get an unlocked one from the island of deep fried mars (aka UK).

    Otherwise you will be able to get one from O2 Germany. However, Z and Y are switched. I shed tears when I have to type on a keyboard with english layout at the University... You fools, y u no have German layout?! Well, the French one is even crazier...
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    Exclusively means "the only way to get it" in the respective country.
    I was always under the impression that, in the U.S., it meant "the only way to get it with a carrier subsidy." I never dreamed HP wouldn't be allowed to sell it unlocked, especially considering how negligible unlocked device sales numbers are in the States.
  4. #4  
    AT&T Exclusivity ???

    Does this mean no Veer on Verizon?

    What about the Pre3? On Verizon?
  5. #5  
    Us Americans really need to think about this before complaining. Unlocked phones only fully work on ATT anyways so what would be the point to skating the contract?? T-Mobile is only 2G and ATT is gobbling them up anyways. If you travel, get the international plan and make ATT unlock the phone.

    The only ones have room to vent are those outside the US.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

    www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by leebae View Post
    AT&T Exclusivity ???

    Does this mean no Veer on Verizon?
    Correct no Veer on VZW but has no influence on where the Pre3 goes.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

    www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    Us Americans really need to think about this before complaining. Unlocked phones only fully work on ATT anyways so what would be the point to skating the contract?? T-Mobile is only 2G and ATT is gobbling them up anyways. If you travel, get the international plan and make ATT unlock the phone.

    The only ones have room to vent are those outside the US.
    The point of this thread isn't complaining - it's determining whether the rumor is true or not. I have very little interest in picking up an unlocked Veer, but I'd find it interesting if an agreement with AT&T prevented HP from selling their own unbranded wares.

    As an owner of an unlocked Pre2, though, there really are advantages to buying unlocked. No stupid silkscreened carrier logos, for one, and faster updates to webOS.
  8. firebrewd's Avatar
    Posts
    72 Posts
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    #8  
    I have huge interest in an unlocked Veer, as I'm not from USA. I was especially interested in a "developer" one, so yes, it's a huge deal for me if it isn't offered unlocked.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by leebae View Post
    AT&T Exclusivity ???

    Does this mean no Veer on Verizon?

    What about the Pre3? On Verizon?
    Veer was never intended for Verizon or Sprint.

    They never announced a CDMA version.

    Anyways, all I can say is: JIC Technology, get cracking.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  10. #10  
    At least I won't be faced with a decision come October (upgrade time). Looks like a Pre2 for me. I was actually leaning that way. Pre3 just seems too large and honestly the Veer to small.
  11. #11  
    Exclusive doesn't mean forever...
  12. PLinger's Avatar
    Posts
    120 Posts
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    Us Americans really need to think about this before complaining. Unlocked phones only fully work on ATT anyways so what would be the point to skating the contract?? T-Mobile is only 2G and ATT is gobbling them up anyways. If you travel, get the international plan and make ATT unlock the phone.

    The only ones have room to vent are those outside the US.
    One major reason to get an unlocked unbranded phone, even if it only works on AT&T's network, is the ability to get direct updates from the manufacturer. Last year, I had a Pixi+ on AT&T and had to wait months for the 1.4.5 update while it was released for the device on other carriers. It was not an isolated incident; the most recent example of AT&T's devious behavior can be seen in the treatment of the flagship WP7 device, the Samsung Focus. Months of delays, and for no reason.

    I refuse to buy any phone locked to AT&T (without the possibility of unlocking and/or unbranding it)
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    I'd never even considered that an AT&T exclusivity deal meant HP was prevented from selling full-price unlocked Veers on HP.com. Can anyone confirm this?
    I cannot confirm it. I stated an opinion, not a fact, in that tweet. I hope HP makes me eat my words.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    The point of this thread isn't complaining - it's determining whether the rumor is true or not. I have very little interest in picking up an unlocked Veer, but I'd find it interesting if an agreement with AT&T prevented HP from selling their own unbranded wares.

    As an owner of an unlocked Pre2, though, there really are advantages to buying unlocked. No stupid silkscreened carrier logos, for one, and faster updates to webOS.
    I didn't get the feeling of complaining from your post.

    I also like unlocked.
    At&t so often locks out features, and loads the phone up with bloatware.
    But, I'll still probably buy the Pre3 on contract for the savings.
    Just call me Berd.
  15. cmahy's Avatar
    Posts
    300 Posts
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    #15  
    Not that this changes the branding or updates -- but, I'd expect the fine folks at NextGenUnlock will soon have Veer-unlock tools available. As someone who travels internationally, I personally refuse to buy any phone if I can't unlock it to use other SIM cards -- international roaming is a killer!
    Palm History: Sony Clie T615C --> T|X --> Pre+ --> Pre3 Aspirations -->

Posting Permissions