Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    I know you can use freetether but I always worry about AT&T snooping packets and slapping a bill...

However noticed this article on computer world that states:

- Veer is an AT&T exclusive in the U.S.

and

- " Veer also functions as a Wi-Fi hotspot for up to five Wi-Fi devices for an added monthly cost."

Unless they're referring only to usage outside the U.S... this would seem to imply that this feature would be on AT&T, which has always charged for it in the past. Though given their lack of unlimited data, would still preclude using it as your sole data source for a robust home environment like my sprint friends do, would still be nice on occasion (I have a few other wifi-only devices I sometimes take with me).
    Quote Originally Posted by aapold View Post
    - " Veer also functions as a Wi-Fi hotspot for up to five Wi-Fi devices for an added monthly cost."
    Not sure where you are getting the "free" part from.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    I think they already stated that it won't be free. AT&T never offered free tethering on any devices. Verizon is the only one actually offered it on only Pre Plus and Pixie, but not on Pre 2.
    Att's Tether Plan has dropped within reason - at least I see it as worth it.

$45 for 4GB.
    Just call me Berd.
    the operative term in the quote is "added monthly cost".
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    I swear they changed the article from the time I read it to the time I cut and pasted it.

But I think it was more like i was reading what I wanted to see.
    The 2 words ATT and Free NEVER intersect.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    $45 for 4GB is still absolutely nuts, considering you can do unlimited tethering on Sprint for $30. AT&T is just ... ugh.
    Yea, I'm going to have to echo that.

$30 for unlimited > $45 for 4GB.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    $45 for 4GB is still absolutely nuts, considering you can do unlimited tethering on Sprint for $30. AT&T is just ... ugh.
    But Sprint doesn't allow 'honest' tethering.
    I'd jump to Sprint if they had a tether plan.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    But Sprint doesn't allow 'honest' tethering.
    I'd jump to Sprint if they had a tether plan.
    What's "honest" tethering?
    freetether works just fine on my at&t pre plus... i use it all the time. in the library, today in the barber shop. its actually pretty quick too. go figure.
    People tether with Sprint, but not with sprints approval.
    So they tether dishonestly.
    I'm not judging, I just don't want to tether without their blessing.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    People tether with Sprint, but not with sprints approval.
    So they tether dishonestly.
    I'm not judging, I just don't want to tether without their blessing.
    Are you talking about webOS only? Because I pay Sprint $30/mo for unlimited tethering through mobile hotspot on my Evo. It's fully legit and works well.
    Honest tethering is when carriers don't charge you twice for your data usage.
    Sprint offering tiered data starting may 8th..

http://www.intomobile.com/2011/05/03...devices-may-8/

Note this is for mhs & tablets

3GB data for $34.99 (available on Galaxy Tab, Sierra Pro Overdrive, Novatel MiFi)
    5GB data for $49.99 (available on connection cards, USB modems, Galaxy Tab, and mobile hotspots)
    10GB data for $79.99 (available on all embedded devices)

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    You're not adding it up correctly though.

AT&T's is 25 for 2GB data + 20 to tether and up to two more gb or 45 a month together.

Sprint's is 30 for tethering + 30 for data= 60 a month. Your data isn't free...even if Sprint lumps it in with their voice plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by webOSftw View Post
    freetether works just fine on my at&t pre plus... i use it all the time. in the library, today in the barber shop. its actually pretty quick too. go figure.
    +1

No worries, remember with FT your tethered data looks no different to the carrier than your device data. Just don't abuse it or overuse it. Same as it's always been. Discretion will save you loads of grief .....

Android users have also managed to escape the carrier police because their tethering apps work the same way. The tethered data and the device data look no different on the carrier side. Since the carriers couldn't catch 'em they had to put some heat on Google this week to get tethering apps removed from the Android marketplace. There really was no other solution for the carriers and I doubt Google folded their hand easily. You can bet that won't happen here in webOS-land. We won't lose our tethering apps. Its impossible to stranglehold our homebrew community.

As for who is getting nailed for tethering, from what I've heard, it's the Fruitphone users. They must be blatently tethering, or just plain stupid. I'll leave that for everyone here to answer on their own!
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 05/05/2011 at 05:36 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and dont necessarily represent AT&Ts positions, strategies or opinions.
    Are you talking about webOS only? Because I pay Sprint $30/mo for unlimited tethering through mobile hotspot on my Evo. It's fully legit and works well.
    I guess I was misinformed.
    I was under the impression that Sprint didn't allow tethering.
    So, Sprint is $30 for unlimited and another $30 to tether?
    Quote Originally Posted by aapold View Post
    I swear they changed the article from the time I read it to the time I cut and pasted it.

But I think it was more like i was reading what I wanted to see.
    You read correctly. The mobile hotspot description was in large type in the body of the email.

The cost was in small type at the bottom with all the footnotes; I had to read twice before I found it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast