View Poll Results: What kind of launch are you expecting for the AT&T Veer?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Full launch - available in practically all AT&T stores.

    29 41.43%
  • Semi-soft launch - only available in some AT&T stores; otherwise online.

    28 40.00%
  • Soft launch - mostly online

    13 18.57%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 37 of 37
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    i would be impressed to see one webos tv commercial before i die
    Just call me Berd.
  2. #22  
    The Veer seems to be targeted towards the mainstream consumer market...So HP and ATT better adVEERtise the heck out of it because regular consumers dont read tech blogsites to get info on their next phones....
  3. #23  
    I'm open minded about it but i can't use a phone with just 6gbs or so of free memory. I think this spec more than any kills it for me.
  4.    #24  
    So has anyone asked about the Veer at their local AT&T Store? I'm wondering whether the white is the actual default color since they seem to have sent out white ones for review. If you think about it, having a white phone in a display case would help it to stand out among the crowd of phones. Most people would be somewhat drawn to it.
  5.    #25  
    There are still several days left to vote. Thus far, most people are anticipating a full launch with the Veer being available in practically all AT&T stores.
  6. #26  
    With loss of iphone exclusivity, AT&T should have been on top of this and future Pre3 launch.

    Too bad they arn't. If I was HPalm, I'd be pushing them to make the push.

    Remember, it's wasn't Google that made the push of Android on verizon as much as it was Verizon with it's "Droid" branding.

    People see an android device.........."is that one of those droids?"............no lady, it's a G2, or other android device. See what Verizon did there?
  7. j_benj's Avatar
    Posts
    224 Posts
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    #27  
    I don't see what difference it makes whether they advertise before the launch or after, honestly.

    In fact, I don't recall seeing many HP commercials on TV for products that are not available yet...
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    i would be impressed to see one webos tv commercial before i die
    If I could thank this thirty-billion times I would.
    Let me show you what cynicism looks like.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    There are still several days left to vote. Thus far, most people are anticipating a full launch with the Veer being available in practically all AT&T stores.
    They've turned bad reviews into lemonade. No doubt they'll do the same for this soft launch or what's becoming their M.O. for every launch.

    IMO, if something isn't worth promoting, then it probably wasn't worth releasing in the first place.

    It's more than just commercials though. This is HP's platform. There's no Microsoft or Google sitting around doing all the heavy promotion work at the OS level or app store level, etc. HP shows little understanding here. It's hard to believe they don't have a mobility or webOS section on their own homepage. As the sole platform owner, they cannot be silent or be content with soft launches.

    HP excelled with computers because if you design something with windows, you could expect the retailers like Best Buy to do the rest. This worked because a PC is a PC. A printer is a printer.

    Whether you call these products mobility or "post PC" products, the marketing has changed. At the risk of getting negative responses for even mentioning Apple, they have adapted. Stores inside stores, a homepage that highlights its products (and especially webOS) especially at launch time, strict policies on store displays, constant commercials no matter what time of year, etc.
    Last edited by cardfan; 05/15/2011 at 09:13 AM.
  10. Spinfusor's Avatar
    Posts
    78 Posts
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    #30  
    It's nice to see how all of that HP money is helping with promotion. No commercials, no print ads... it's not even in Best Buy's circular.

    Nokia is promoting the Astound more than HP is promoting the Veer.

    Edit: The Veer isn't on Best Buy's homepage, mobile phone page, or AT&T page. It's also not on AT&T's homepage (which advertises the Pre Plus).
    Last edited by Spinfusor; 05/15/2011 at 09:30 AM.
    "Visits? Well that would indicate visitors."
    "Future events such as these will affect you in the future."
  11. donjt81's Avatar
    Posts
    55 Posts
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    #31  
    Man you guys make me laugh. Look at you guys still expecting some sort of big marketing from hp. The phone launches today and I have not heard or seen a single ad about it. Hp doesn't care about the smartphone market. They bought palm to get into the tablet market. And the phones just came along for the ride. I don't care what the hp execs say. They don't want to be in the phone market. Why else would you launch a product and not even advertise it.

    Sent from my iPhone.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by donjt81 View Post
    Man you guys make me laugh. Look at you guys still expecting some sort of big marketing from hp. The phone launches today and I have not heard or seen a single ad about it. Hp doesn't care about the smartphone market. They bought palm to get into the tablet market. And the phones just came along for the ride. I don't care what the hp execs say. They don't want to be in the phone market. Why else would you launch a product and not even advertise it.

    Sent from my iPhone.
    If for no other reason, the phones compliment and help the tablet that they are interested in. Connected devices has been the card they've been playing. It makes no sense to..not care? Especially if they're already doing the hard part establishing a webOS ecosystem.
  13. donjt81's Avatar
    Posts
    55 Posts
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    #33  
    Llike I said "Why else would you launch a product and not even advertise it. "
  14. #34  
    You will see a lot of ads around webOS and the products this summer... The Veer is just the beginning and the ads haven't started yet, but will soon...
  15.    #35  
    I can see a couple of possible reasons for a soft launch, right now. First, HP has certainly done some focus-groups to see how popular the Veer will be at the retail level. No point in throwing a lot of advertising dollars to a phone that 80% of current webOS users aren't interested in. Or, there may be manufacturing yield issues. We've see an actual launch but we haven't noticed much actual retail or online stock. I'm thinking there is actually a launch delay.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    They've turned bad reviews into lemonade. No doubt they'll do the same for this soft launch or what's becoming their M.O. for every launch.

    IMO, if something isn't worth promoting, then it probably wasn't worth releasing in the first place.

    It's more than just commercials though. This is HP's platform. There's no Microsoft or Google sitting around doing all the heavy promotion work at the OS level or app store level, etc. HP shows little understanding here. It's hard to believe they don't have a mobility or webOS section on their own homepage. As the sole platform owner, they cannot be silent or be content with soft launches.

    HP excelled with computers because if you design something with windows, you could expect the retailers like Best Buy to do the rest. This worked because a PC is a PC. A printer is a printer.

    Whether you call these products mobility or "post PC" products, the marketing has changed. At the risk of getting negative responses for even mentioning Apple, they have adapted. Stores inside stores, a homepage that highlights its products (and especially webOS) especially at launch time, strict policies on store displays, constant commercials no matter what time of year, etc.
    Correct. HP needs act like they actually own webOS and give it it's own space on the HP website and as you said do the other things that are necessary to capture mindshare.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I can see a couple of possible reasons for a soft launch, right now. First, HP has certainly done some focus-groups to see how popular the Veer will be at the retail level. No point in throwing a lot of advertising dollars to a phone that 80% of current webOS users aren't interested in. Or, there may be manufacturing yield issues. We've see an actual launch but we haven't noticed much actual retail or online stock. I'm thinking there is actually a launch delay.
    The only thing that makes any sense is that they will heavily promote the Touchpad and hope that spills over into phones. Perhaps the phones will be mentioned in the Touchpad ads.

    But it also tells me they can't possibly expect much success out of these phones..at least not yet. They're more like placeholders. If HP doesn't expect much right now, i'm not sure we should either or get too upset about it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions