Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So HP is essentially "relaunching" WebOS with the Veer soon. I simply can't understand the thinking behind relaunching a property they have invested so much in with a phone that is a downgrade from the Pre 2, which went almost completely unnoticed in the market. Now I'm not interested in slamming the Veer as a product here, I could see it filling a niche if done correctly. I'm here to argue that it is a terrible idea to relaunch WebOS with it.

-Screen- It's smaller. Some might point to this as it's advantage, but I'd say that I doubt anyone ever held a Pre and thought it needed to be smaller. It's already a very pocket friendly compact phone. There's also a real trend moving towards larger phones which makes me think that people want larger phones. It's simply a better experience browsing the web and running apps on a larger screen, and this is not a dumbphone. Again, I'm sure some will love the form factor, but we're talking about a brand relaunch here.

-Horsepower- The specs are low end for whats coming out now. I'm not saying they need a dual-core monster, but a 1ghz phone will be considered mid level very soon. Many already do.

-Keyboard- I just can't imagine it not being cramped. The pre keyboard was barely passable imo.

-The headphone jack- Sometimes the solution to a problem will tell you to eliminate the problem. If this form factor requires that dongle, maybe the form factor just isn't a great idea?

In the end, I'd rather have a Pre 2. Yet the Pre2 barely sold at all. How is it a good idea to relaunch WebOS with this?

They should have waited and launched the Touchpad and Pre3 together. Then follow up with the Veer. The Veer may have a niche, but it should follow the heavy hitters. Not the other way around.
  2.    #2  
    I'd like to follow up by saying that this is not a post intended to bash the Veer. It's unique, and I stated multiple times, it could find a niche if marketed properly.

I loved my Pre, and I still think WebOS is the best OS on the mobile market. I did move on to an EVO, but if the Pre3 releases on Sprint I may buy it. If not, well the EVO 3D sure looks sexy, 3D be damned. I'm pulling for WebOS, and that's why I made a post questioning it's relaunch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Babadi View Post
    I'd like to follow up by saying that this is not a post intended to bash the Veer. It's unique, and I stated multiple times, it could find a niche if marketed properly.

I loved my Pre, and I still think WebOS is the best OS on the mobile market. I did move on to an EVO, but if the Pre3 releases on Sprint I may buy it. If not, well the EVO 3D sure looks sexy, 3D be damned. I'm pulling for WebOS, and that's why I made a post questioning it's relaunch.
    I would not consider this a re-launch of WebOS. I think of it being a launch of devices launched under the HP name. Now that HP has WebOS, expect to see huge changes in how the technology is defined and brought to market. Just consider Veer as a small stepping stone to many WebOS possibilities.
    you need to try the veer first. When I played with it at their event, I was impressed. And don't think its underpowered. It was plenty fast.
    Hear hear.

I have mixed feelings about Veer. Some people really like it and some don't. What ever works for you. I think HP should have also announced the slab version for those who luv the virtual keyboards and slabs body styles.
    As for horsepower...when the Veer comes out do a side to side comparison to your Pre 2 and then let's see what you say about horsepower..
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Why hold the Veer back when it is ready before the Pre3 and Touchpad? Just to do a "proper relaunch"?
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    I'm most interested in how HP is going to market this device. NO ONE is going to even know it exists or care unless HP creates a huge marketing campaign for it. I hope it is successful enough to get the term webOS into people's minds so that when the pre3 and future better phones come out, the general public will know what they are.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendu View Post
    I'm most interested in how HP is going to market this device. NO ONE is going to even know it exists or care unless HP creates a huge marketing campaign for it. I hope it is successful enough to get the term webOS into people's minds so that when the pre3 and future better phones come out, the general public will know what they are.
    I agree. Not only that, but, I think one of the strong demographics for the Veer will take a pass on it unless WebOS 2.2 comes out with some hefty IM improvements (see http://forums.precentral.net/hp-veer...messaging.html for more on this).
    Palm History: Sony Clie T615C --> T|X --> Pre+ --> Pre3 Aspirations -->
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Why hold the Veer back when it is ready before the Pre3 and Touchpad? Just to do a "proper relaunch"?
    Because if it launched inside of an ecosystem that had some momentum behind it, it's target demographic would be much more inclined to take notice. It was devices like the original Droid and Nexus 1 that laid the groundwork for successful mid range android devices. Not the other way around.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    As for horsepower...when the Veer comes out do a side to side comparison to your Pre 2 and then let's see what you say about horsepower..
    I'm sure it can hold it's own, but when the casual demographic that this phone is targeting is browsing AT&T they are going to look at the spec sheet. It's just one reason, among many, I'm afraid the casual buyer will pass on this one.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by sherard View Post
    I would not consider this a re-launch of WebOS. I think of it being a launch of devices launched under the HP name. Now that HP has WebOS, expect to see huge changes in how the technology is defined and brought to market. Just consider Veer as a small stepping stone to many WebOS possibilities.
    So..... It's not a relaunch. It's a launch of devices under the HP name.... that use a previously launched OS and very familiar form factor. I hate to nitpick, but isn't that a relaunch?
    I'm sure it can hold it's own, but when the casual demographic that this phone is targeting is browsing AT&T they are going to look at the spec sheet. It's just one reason, among many, I'm afraid the casual buyer will pass on this one.
    It should be fast. It's only a 2" low rez screen. No one wants a smaller Pre though. Only a few webOS fans hungry for new devices are the ones rationalizing this though.

Look at this way. It's out first. Maybe it will fail quickly and they can focus on the upcoming devices. Hopefully they don't market it that much so as not to drive their brand even more south.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    Hear hear.

I have mixed feelings about Veer. Some people really like it and some don't. What ever works for you. I think HP should have also announced the slab version for those who luv the virtual keyboards and slabs body styles.
    My dream scenario would have been having a dual core slab ( launch alongside the Pre3 and Touchpad. Let that lineup take the world by storm and then release the Veer for the casual crowd.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    It should be fast. It's only a 2" low rez screen. No one wants a smaller Pre though. Only a few webOS fans hungry for new devices are the ones rationalizing this though.
    That's sure what it feels like sometimes. Although I could see an "iphone nano" selling like crazy, so I think there's a market. It just needs to be in an established brand and ecosystem.
    That's sure what it feels like sometimes. Although I could see an "iphone nano" selling like crazy, so I think there's a market. It just needs to be in an established brand and ecosystem.
    I don't think HP or Palm has figured out this new market. They'll even be the first to say they're still figuring things out as they go.

The Veer probably shouldn't have been given light. But at least launch it around the holidays after the Touchpad & Pre 3.

I'm sure HP has a slab phone hiding in development somewhere but it'd probably be mid 2012 before seeing it. Ideally, it'd have webOS 4.0 along with a Touchpad 2. The Pre 3 (or Veer) then can live in the shadows where they should thrive better.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    So is that Veer launch party/training event cancelled or not? At the very least, hp or at&t or Best Buy needs to let its potential Veer customers know today!
    i feel like your 'casual buyer' wont care about specs at all. i feel they will look at the phone and play with it, look at what its main features are, and based on that impression, they will decide its fate.

the people interested in cpu speed and amount of memory etc are people like us that are enthusiasts. that's what i believe we don't often see as enthusiasts is that there are millions of other people that could care less about specs and only want a phone that is reliable and does what they want it to do.

hopefully the Veer will appeal to the 'causal buyer', especially if its priced right. i cant imagine that this phone is going to cost anything near what high powered newer android devices will cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    i feel like your 'casual buyer' wont care about specs at all. i feel they will look at the phone and play with it, look at what its main features are, and based on that impression, they will decide its fate.

the people interested in cpu speed and amount of memory etc are people like us that are enthusiasts. that's what i believe we don't often see as enthusiasts is that there are millions of other people that could care less about specs and only want a phone that is reliable and does what they want it to do.

hopefully the Veer will appeal to the 'causal buyer', especially if its priced right. i cant imagine that this phone is going to cost anything near what high powered newer android devices will cost.
    Well, Pre Plus was almost free with hotspot, even then nobody was buying it. It's definately not a price. I think it's just little too small to compete with mainstream smartphone nowaday. Plus you still have to pay same for data plan. If HP has some kind of deal with the carrier to reduced the price on the data plan on Veer, I think it will appear to some people. At this point, I really don't see how it's going to survive.
    I'll put it this way. I'd try and make a good first impression and put my best foot forward. Whether this is their best foot i'll leave to others to debate.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast