Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    HP knows how to move a product it wants to move. Given the iPhone 5 is being pushed back to the fall, why rush the Veer and Pre3 out the door? Plus, they are really pushing the Veer as a "companion" phone. If that's the case, they may decide to not market it by itself at all and sell it as part of a package. What better way to get people into the interconnected world of webOS than to give them a Veer for free when they buy their TouchPad? (just a thought)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    HP knows how to move a product it wants to move. Given the iPhone 5 is being pushed back to the fall, why rush the Veer and Pre3 out the door? Plus, they are really pushing the Veer as a "companion" phone. If that's the case, they may decide to not market it by itself at all and sell it as part of a package. What better way to get people into the interconnected world of webOS than to give them a Veer for free when they buy their TouchPad? (just a thought)
    they are going to give away Veer for free, why can't they just sell TouchPad like $300 or less. That will get the notice from alot of people.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    they are going to give away Veer for free, why can't they just sell TouchPad like $300 or less. That will get the notice from alot of people.
    I was speculating. I think the Veer will be a lot cheaper than most smartphones. And I wouldn't be surprised if they packaged it with another device.
    Well, Pre Plus was almost free with hotspot, even then nobody was buying it. It's definately not a price. I think it's just little too small to compete with mainstream smartphone nowaday. Plus you still have to pay same for data plan. If HP has some kind of deal with the carrier to reduced the price on the data plan on Veer, I think it will appear to some people. At this point, I really don't see how it's going to survive.
    yes, but the pre and pre plus also have a looming cloud of doubt for its build quality (especially from the sales people from all carriers) and just overall had a bad launch and marketing.

there's no doubt in my mind that if HP can market this phone right and provide it at the right price, it can sell. it doesn't have to be a huge hit, it just has to make gains and not losses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Babadi View Post
    Because if it launched inside of an ecosystem that had some momentum behind it, it's target demographic would be much more inclined to take notice. It was devices like the original Droid and Nexus 1 that laid the groundwork for successful mid range android devices. Not the other way around.
    I can see where you're coming from, but the Veer was still ready ahead of the Pre3 and Touchpad. Think about it, the Veer has the same resolution and screen size of the Pixi. That already gives them a basis on which to build the Veer. The Pre3 has a larger screen and higher resolution, so it will take more work to get things working just right. Same goes for the Touchpad.

Besides, HP doesn't lose anything releasing the Veer first. They can sell some now, and then use the ecosystem with momentum behind it to sell more later.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I believe what HP is thinking is that if you use the TouchPad as an everyday device then you only need a small phone footprint to go along with it. If you are carrying both around, you would use the TouchPad to run your apps, browse the web, and do your PIM. So you would only need the Veer for phone calls and probably texting and therefore don't need a large screen. This is the major intent of Touch-to-Share as far as I can tell. The question is: Is this the model of the masses or a minor slice of the market?
    Because having two devices in the hands of one person is better than one device. Additionally then people can show off touch to share to friends to show how awesome it is.
    Seems like an appropriate time for a break here. If you understood what HP was doing, then you'd probably be working for them.

Allow me to introduce some ridiculous claims, by so-called "experts" (not bitter/puzzled/frightened consumers )

"Man will never reach the moon regardless of all future scientific advances." -- Dr. Lee DeForest, "Father of Radio & Grandfather of Television."

"The bomb will never go off. I speak as an expert in explosives." - - Admiral William Leahy, US Atomic Bomb Project

"There is no likelihood man can ever tap the power of the atom." -- Robert Millikan, Nobel Prize in Physics,1923

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." -- Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." -- Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

"I have traveled the length and breadth of this country and talked with the best people, and I can assure you that data processing is a fad that won't last out the year." -- The editor in charge of business books for Prentice Hall, 1957

"But what ... is it good for?" -- Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." -- Bill Gates, 1981

"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us," -- Western Union internal memo, 1876.

"The wireless music box has no imaginable commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?" -- David Sarnoff's associates in response to his urgings for investment in the radio in the 1920s.

"The concept is interesting and well-formed, but in order to earn better than a 'C,' the idea must be feasible," -- A Yale University management professor in response to Fred Smith's paper proposing reliable overnight delivery service. (Smith went on to found Federal Express Corp.)
    Spark A Synapse: Famous Last Words from the Naysayers
  9.    #29  
    Those are some zippy quotes yea got there! Completely meaningless, but fun to read!
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    Right now I have an AT&T pre+. Pretty much my main reasons to get a veer would be if I knew there was not gonna be a pre2 or pre3 available via contract on AT&T (I can't afford to buy one outright)... or straight up if it were rather inexpensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by aapold View Post
    Right now I have an AT&T pre+. Pretty much my main reasons to get a veer would be if I knew there was not gonna be a pre2 or pre3 available via contract on AT&T (I can't afford to buy one outright)... or straight up if it were rather inexpensive.
    Great, because that's its main selling point!
    I think the approach is clever. The Pre 2 is a very solid, well built machine, I think its purpose is to say 'HP builds great hardware, you can't complain about the Pre 2'. If you think the Veer is too small, well, get a Pre 2 or Pre 3.

So by marketing the Veer, they are also marketing the Pre 2.
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aharmsworth View Post
    I think the approach is clever. The Pre 2 is a very solid, well built machine, I think its purpose is to say 'HP builds great hardware, you can't complain about the Pre 2'. If you think the Veer is too small, well, get a Pre 2 or Pre 3.
    But if each of them is on a different carrier exclusive at the start, that's not a real argument (unless you're in a position to buy one outright from HP).

I really hope they all launch on all of the carriers that had the Pre -/+ in more or less the same time frame...
    Quote Originally Posted by Babadi View Post
    Those are some zippy quotes yea got there! Completely meaningless, but fun to read!
    They were warnings to the "experts" on this board who think they know where the market is going, so yes, zippy quotes, but very relevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    They were warnings to the "experts" on this board who think they know where the market is going, so yes, zippy quotes, but very relevant.
    But then again, there's probably more quotes out there that were on the money. It's not relevant at all to pull in a few bad ones and try to generalize that toward any critical opinion of what HP might be up to. Not to mention it throws the thread OT.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Veer and Pre3 are competing with more than just the iphone5 and touchpad with ipad as well. Also I wonder what "package" would they sell the veer in? Nothing else is available, unless you're talking about a pre2. How could they give a customer a free veer with the purchase of a touchpad when the touchpad is not available? By the time the touchpad is available will people still want a veer? Maybe...people do love free stuff
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdelacoma View Post
    Veer and Pre3 are competing with more than just the iphone5 and touchpad with ipad as well. Also I wonder what "package" would they sell the veer in? Nothing else is available, unless you're talking about a pre2. How could they give a customer a free veer with the purchase of a touchpad when the touchpad is not available? By the time the touchpad is available will people still want a veer? Maybe...people do love free stuff
    The Veer is not an underpowered device. It's a full featured phone in a small package. It's the Pre 3 that HP will be pushing as a companion device to the TouchPad, especially with their high volume clients.
    Theyll market it well, and then we will see if this market for a small phone even exists.

I have my doubts, but then again I'm not a phone manufacturer.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    The Veer is not an underpowered device. It's a full featured phone in a small package. It's the Pre 3 that HP will be pushing as a companion device to the TouchPad, especially with their high volume clients.
    Not sure why you quoted me...
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by JKK Photography View Post
    Theyll market it well, and then we will see if this market for a small phone even exists.

I have my doubts, but then again I'm not a phone manufacturer.
    Will they even market it well? Right now all we have seen is some mini's with a paint job, to market a release date we don't have. Are they soft launching the Veer and saving the big guns for the Pre3 and Touchpad? If that's the case I direct you back to the original point of this thread.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast