Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    HP webOS Veer is 4G. Small is the new Big.

As posted on Precentral front page HP is going to promote/marketing the Veer as 4G: HP does up Mini Coopers to promote the Veer; 'Veer 4G,' actually | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

The veer specifications are ,some of them:

HP webOS Veer specifications.
    HP webOS , HSDPA 7.2/HSUPA 5.76, Quad-band GSM/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900
    GSM/GPRS/EDGE , 2.6-inch multitouch screen with a vibrant 18-bit color, 320x400 resolution , Slide-out physical QWERTY keyboard.

Full specifications here: HP Veer | webOS Smartphone

We also know that HSPA+ is the latest 4G capable new speed for to run on the new networks worldwide, at this time.

Will you feel confortable enough to get the Veer now?
    Will be the Veer your main smartphone?
    How pocketable is the Veer for you?
    Are you nut about the Veer?
    Nothing could bring me to AT&T. Nothing.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Nothing could bring me to AT&T. Nothing.
    QFT.
    Judging by people's (absurd) comments, the Veer is strictly a teen phone as it fits their tiny (really you believe this???? have you been to a highschool recently and seen how "tiny" kids are these days??) hands and is suitable for their tiny eyes. lol.

It's not about size , it's about what consumers they're trying to reach. In the case of the Veer, HP is attempting to sell to younger teenagers as their first cell phone.
    Sorry I don't buy into that at all.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    I want a pre3 but I really like the veer and I'm dam excited for marketing to begin. This gives me hope of what's about to come.... Bring it HP!!!!
    7.2mbps is 4G? Guess that means my HTC HD2 is 4G too! lol

Sent from my HTC HD2
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    We also know that HSPA+ is the latest 4G capable new speed for to run on the new networks worldwide, at this time.
    There are still different speeds though. For example, current T-Mo USA 4G phones get 21mbps, soon to be 42mbps.

I'd consider 7.2mbps to be 3G+

Sent from my HTC HD2
    they are getting less than 1mb up, and between 1 and 2mb down via at&t on the atrix right now. I tested it myself. That's more like 3.5g.

and the Veer is NOT a teen phone.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    What makes me sad is the knowledge that if they're going to push the "4G" label with the Veer then it's never coming to Verizon without an LTE radio on board. Which I couldn't care less about. Since HSDPA = 4G is stretching things about as far as they can be stretched...
    Not sure how a mini version of a "workhorse" phone is deemed a starter or teen phone. It's simply their smaller prosumer offering.

About the 4G, if the others can claim it and AT&T is running with it, HP has no choice then. Take the extra speed NOW and be happy. LTE will come later.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbycrts View Post
    What makes me sad is the knowledge that if they're going to push the "4G" label with the Veer then it's never coming to Verizon without an LTE radio on board. Which I couldn't care less about. Since HSDPA = 4G is stretching things about as far as they can be stretched...
    no reason to be sad...

I promise you that if vzw ordered them, palm could have a couple million LATE Veer ready to go before the Pre. They may already be building them.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    There are still different speeds though. For example, current T-Mo USA 4G phones get 21mbps, soon to be 42mbps.

I'd consider 7.2mbps to be 3G+

Sent from my HTC HD2
    Agree. It depends of how is a carrier holding or running their speeds network.

According to wikipedia this is how they define the speeds for HSPA + for ups and downs:

HSPA+, also known as Evolved High-Speed Packet Access is a wireless broadband standard defined in 3GPP release 7 and above.

HSPA+ provides HSPA data rates up to 84 Megabits per second (Mbit/s) on the downlink and 22 Mbit/s on the uplink through the use of a multiple-antenna technique known as MIMO (for “multiple-input and multiple-output”) and higher order modulation (64QAM). MIMO on CDMA based systems acts like virtual sectors to give extra capacity closer to the mast. The 84 Mbit/s and 22 Mbit/s represent theoretical peak sector speeds.

The actual speed for a user will be lower. At cell edge and even at half the distance to the cell edge there may only be slight increase compared with 14.4 Mbit/s HSDPA unless a channel wider than 5 MHz is used. Future revisions of HSPA+ support up to 168 Mbit/s using multiple carriers and up to 672 Mbit/s is proposed for 3GPP Release 11 using advanced antenna techniques.[1][2]

Source: Evolved HSPA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And also says: HSPA+ should not be confused with LTE, which uses a new air interface.

Somebody knows what speeds is holding AT&T for HSPA+? Thanks.
    what I know is the speeds I have been getting on the Attrix at various at&t locations. They may be calling it H+, but its not any better than their 3G phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    Agree. It depends of how is a carrier holding or running their speeds network.

Somebody knows what speeds is holding AT&T for HSPA+? Thanks.
    It also depends on the radio they use. Palm says the Veer's max is 7.2 down and 5.76mbps up. My HD2 is rated at 7.2/2.0. While the upload speed isn't great, I can still easily pull down 5mbps. It's definitely not "4G" but it's still pretty nice. It would have been nice if Palm used something faster though...
    palm uses what the carriers tell them to. No point putting in radios that don't match what is being put in their towers.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    what I know is the speeds I have been getting on the Attrix at various at&t locations. They may be calling it H+, but its not any better than their 3G phones.
    Because the Atrix doesn't have 4G enabled yet. AT&T markets it as 4G, but has it disabled. No HSDPA, no HSPA+.

Motorola Atrix 4G to Receive First Update, No HSUPA Support Included

Engadget talks about it in their review: Motorola Atrix 4G review -- Engadget.

From what I've seen HSPA+ on T-mobile has been faster than Wiimax on Sprint, but slower than LTE on Verizon.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    they are getting less than 1mb up, and between 1 and 2mb down via at&t on the atrix right now. I tested it myself. That's more like 3.5g.

and the Veer is NOT a teen phone.
    My iphone isn't hspa+ and does better than that. Perhaps the tests aren't accurate or being performed in an area that AT&T has performed the backhaul conversions. Also, the Atrix didn't have HSUPA enabled.

It will be interesting to see the tests when the Atrix is updated and when AT&T gets around to doing their backhaul updates (the real culprit). 4G Speed from AT&T - AT&T 4G with HSPA+ and LTE - Wireless from AT&T This map isn't very helpful. It's misleading since you need to hover your mouse over map to find the cities. There's very few areas.
    at&t wireless is based in atlanta. Its one of their best cities for coverage. Its just that their network sucks, and they are talking about H+ even though they are throttling the network (as all carriers seem to do). You are correct that they are showing H+ on the phone even though I'm probably talking to a 3g radio in the tower.

its all a marketing game.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    My iphone isn't hspa+ and does better than that. Perhaps the tests aren't accurate or being performed in an area that AT&T has performed the backhaul conversions. Also, the Atrix didn't have HSUPA enabled.

It will be interesting to see the tests when the Atrix is updated and when AT&T gets around to doing their backhaul updates (the real culprit). 4G Speed from AT&T - AT&T 4G with HSPA+ and LTE - Wireless from AT&T This map isn't very helpful. It's misleading since you need to hover your mouse over map to find the cities. There's very few areas.
    If you have an iphone 4, then yes it is hspa+ up to 7.2 mbps download.

At this early stage of 4G technology in the US I believe hspa+ to be accurately considered 4G. Furthermore, at this time I consider hspa+ to be superior to "real" 4g in the US. WiMax and LTE use up too much battery life compared to the current speed increase to make it worthwhile for me.
    Last edited by i2y4n; 04/25/2011 at 06:40 PM.
    The original (before the carrier marketing divisions got involved) definition of 4G by the international standards bodies working on the technical requirements documents for it over 5 years ago was 100Mb/s download when mobile and 1Gb/s download when stationary.

Based on the rate that carrier marketing departments b@stardise the nomenclature for much smaller speed increments, I suspect we will see 5G, 6G and 7G before those speeds are finally reached.

-- Rod
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast