Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    any HSPA version is 3G, or 3.5G.

LTE or WIMAX I believe is part of the 3.9G. This is more "pre 4g"..

LTE advanced/IEEE 802.16m becomes a true 4G at 1 Gbit/s down stationary and 100 for mobile based on ITU-R requirements. further to that, a 4G network will be based on IP addresses.

we won't actually see 4G for quite some time in North America.
    anyways, back on track

don't know why everyone here is hating on it being small. if i wasn't actually so dependent on my smartphone and had big use for a tablet, the veer i would definitely rock. it's a great companion for the touchpad especially with mobile hot spot
    I believe the HP Veer is a VERY capable phone.
    1. Some people don't want 4"+ phone (I like 3.7)
    2 Have you seen the video's ;this thing is VERY fast and fluid NO LAG(and this was the pre-builds of webOS on this phone!).
    3. This phone will run webOS 3.0 that counts for something!.
    4. This thing has up to date specs.
    5. I like how HP is trying something risky

--4r4qg
    Palm IIIx >>> Palm V >>> Palm Vx >>> Tungsten T5 >>> webOS 2.1 emulator

Pre|central Peacekeepers
    SO easy anyone can do it! HP webOS First App Tutorial

If i have helped you; please click the Thanks button.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    Will the Veer run the Pre version of PDK apps or the Pixi version of PDK apps?
    Yeah, I get the feeling that the Veer could be a really nice compliment to the TouchPad. I also think it has a legitimate chance of being a successful smartphone in spite of, or even because of its size. I'm still getting a Pre 3 because I don't know if i'll hop aboard the tablet bandwagon, but the Veer has its place in the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    at&t wireless is based in atlanta. Its one of their best cities for coverage. Its just that their network sucks, and they are talking about H+ even though they are throttling the network (as all carriers seem to do). You are correct that they are showing H+ on the phone even though I'm probably talking to a 3g radio in the tower.

its all a marketing game.
    Looking at their coverage map, atlanta doesn't seem listed as having it.

AT&T has said basically their whole network is hspa+. But its meaningless without the needed backhaul upgrades which appears to be in very few cities. Dallas, Charlotte, SF, LA, Chicago, Houston, Providence, Boston, Baltimore.

BTW...if it needs backhaul updated still, its not complete and i don't see how AT&T can say its virtually 100% hspa+.
    AT&T has deployed HSPA+ to virtually 100% of our nation's fastest mobile broadband network, which enables 4G speeds when combined with enhanced backhaul.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The original (before the carrier marketing divisions got involved) definition of 4G by the international standards bodies working on the technical requirements documents for it over 5 years ago was 100Mb/s download when mobile and 1Gb/s download when stationary.

Based on the rate that carrier marketing departments b@stardise the nomenclature for much smaller speed increments, I suspect we will see 5G, 6G and 7G before those speeds are finally reached.

-- Rod
    I was trying to remember where I read an interesting article about what you said and I found it:

4G is a myth (and a confusing mess)

4G is a myth (and a confusing mess) - Dec. 1, 2010

The thing is the world networks have to come to an standard speed convergence point some time.

Each one have to decide how much money to invest on speedy networks to get to that point. How many years it will take?
    When Ruby was displaying the Veer, he stated that it would be a perfect companion to the HP Touchpad. Now it is all starting to make sense.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    When Ruby was displaying the Veer, he stated that it would be a perfect companion to the HP Touchpad. Now it is all starting to make sense.
    and he is even using it as his main phone
    Since the Veer is advertised as 4G, does this mean the (assumed) AT&T Pre 3 will be advertised as 4G but the Verizon/Sprint version will be 3G?
    I knew it would be called 4G, and this shows hope for possible new additions popping up in the Pre 3. Maybe it will be the HP Pre 4G?
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    Since the Veer is advertised as 4G, does this mean the (assumed) AT&T Pre 3 will be advertised as 4G but the Verizon/Sprint version will be 3G?
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    I knew it would be called 4G, and this shows hope for possible new additions popping up in the Pre 3. Maybe it will be the HP Pre 4G?
    Probably yes. According to qualcomm the Pre3 processor has:
    Peak Data Rates
    UL/DL
    HSPA+: DL 14.4 Mbps / UL 5.76 Mbps
    DO: DL 14.7 Mbps / UL 5.4 Mbps
    1x: DL / UL 307.2 kbps

Source: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...kwWDpw&cad=rja

But for Verizon it has to be 4G LTE and for Sprint 4G Wi-Max
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    Probably yes. According to qualcomm the Pre3 processor has:
    Peak Data Rates
    UL/DL
    HSPA+: DL 14.4 Mbps / UL 5.76 Mbps
    DO: DL 14.7 Mbps / UL 5.4 Mbps
    1x: DL / UL 307.2 kbps

Source: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...kwWDpw&cad=rja

But for Verizon it has to be 4G LTE and for Sprint 4G Wi-Max
    I realize that but it did say those specs might change. If Sprint is getting it they will suggest wimax. I don't know if LTE will be added, however, because the radio is rather large.
    I'm sorry but the veer is a bad idea. The kin I think proved this. People don't want tiny phones and tiny screens. Even if they are targeting teens the teens don't want tiny phones either. Teens also want iphones and evos and droids. This will sell like the kin. Most people even think the pre is to small when looking for phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Wouldn't it be "HP Pre 3 4G"?
    It would more likely be HP Pre^3 4G. So Pre (cubed) 4G. But yes, it probably would. Could go either way really.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    I'm sorry but the veer is a bad idea.
    Perhaps, we shall see.

The kin I think proved this.
    No. The kin was a severly limited device (i.e. not a smartphone) with a terrible user experience that still required a smartphone data plan. There was no compelling reason to buy one. At the very least, the Veer has webOS, which is a huge step up from the Kin.

People don't want tiny phones and tiny screens.
    Most of us don't, but there are people asking for more compact phones. I know 3 people who wanted a smartphone (with keyboard) but much smaller than an Epic. You may say "Only 3?!", to which I would reply "that's 2 more than people I know who were seeking a webOS phone."

The carriers see smaller as something they want in their lineup, which is why we have the BB Style and Evo Shift. We laugh at those, but there are people who want small and the Veer will be the go-to suggestion for an AT&T sales rep when someone says "do you have something smaller?" The alternative is to stick a 4" webOS device alongside an iPhone, Atrix, Torch, Captivate, Inspire, Focus, etc. and hope that the rep pushes it. With the lack of mindshare webOS has right now, I wouldn't count on that.

It's not an ideal situation or product, but I do think it makes sense given the current landscape.
    as pointed out in another thread: the veer is sexy

as experienced in the past: nobody knows if it ll ever see wos 3

as i say now: it s still hot
    I don't think that the Veer is a "teen phone" at all. I'm really excited about it launching and will totally pick one up.
    I'm sorry but the veer is a bad idea. The kin I think proved this. People don't want tiny phones and tiny screens. Even if they are targeting teens the teens don't want tiny phones either. Teens also want iphones and evos and droids. This will sell like the kin. Most people even think the pre is to small when looking for phones.
    It's obvious to most people but HP that it's a bad idea. The best thing that could happen is for it to fail quickly so they can quit thinking small.

It's unfortunate though that the Veer will be the only face of webOS that people will see for awhile. I support any webOS device that will help evolve webOS. I think this hurts more than helps.
  20.    #40  
    Guys Do you remember the Centro that became suddenly the star. I think that is what HP/Palm is trying again with the Veer. Yeah I know they tried with the Pixi already, But I have a hunch this time will be different. I hope.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast