1.    #1  
    In January I finally got an iPhone when my Pixi broke. What I really like is the fact that the iPhone is very solidly built. It is built from great materials and feels like a fine piece of technology.

iOS on the other hand is nothing compared with WebOS. It is not streamlined for a day to day workflow, but is rather abstract to accomodate all kinds of different apps. And that's where the strengths of WebOS are: It is so refined for so many things i do every day. It is a joy to use. One simple example is just making phone calls. Typing initials on the keyboard and than tapping on the number to call the person, is such a simple yet powerful solution for the main task of a phone. The iPhone has no real solution for this. Making phone calls on this thing is a mess.

To cut a long story short: I want my Pixi back, but don't want all the stuff I disliked about it. So can anyone who used WebOS 2.x and perhaps even a Veer, tell me if:

- The built quality of the Veer (choice of materials e.g.) is better than the Pixi?
    - The Veer's screen is brighter than that of the Pixi?
    - WebOS 2.x does _not_ crash a few times a week, forcing the device to automatically restart?
    - The VPN client of WebOS 2.x supports Cisco VPN and authentification over VPN-WPA (802.1X)?

If all that is true, I will definitely get a Veer *although I will probably get one anyway. :-)
    - The build quality of the Veer looks to be better than the Pixi. Instead of plastic for the screen and buttons, we find glass and metal in the Veer. We can therefore conclude that the Veer will be more solid than the Pixi. The only thing is that the Veer is a slider, so there might be some Oreo compared to the solid slab the Pixi is.
    - I don't remember where I read that someone said that the Veer's screen was brighter.
    - I have webOS 2.1 in my Pre Plus and I haven't had any crashes.
    - On the VPN options there is an option for Cisco, but I have not really use it.
    I don't get why people think a very tight slider works best. There are moving parts involved so it needs some "wiggle", otherwise the wear and tear will be too big.

I bought my Pre on a launch party and while others directly exchanged theirs when they showed the slightest sign of the oreo effect I was fine with my Pre showing a little wiggle. And here I am, 17 months or so later and the effect has not worsened.

Moving parts need space to ... *gasp* MOVE.
  4.    #4  
    Tight sliders feel more durable and precise I guess. But they also put the case more under pressure.
    It's the Palm Hate Effect. I personally know somebody who had a Palm Pre, hated it because if he took the phone and twisted and turned the screen, it would twist and turn. So he switched to a Motorola Milestone. I showed him how the screen on that also twisted and turned, but suddenly it wasn't that bad anymore: "people don't think it's bad on the milestone". So apparently people hate the Palm Pre because they see people on the internet hating the Palm Pre and need to join the bandwagon. Herd behavior sucks.

Also, how dare you want a Veer? Don't you see how many people are saying that nobody could ever want one?? Sheesh...
    "Oreo Effect". I've seen this mentioned several times. I hate to ask a stupid question but.... "What is oreo effect?"
    The oreo effect was a problem with a small number of units in the first production run of the Pre where you could twist the screen around, often as far as 20-40, to either side. Needless to say, that issue was completely unacceptable while it existed, but affected phones got replaced and the problem has never popped up again.

Ever since then, people have been griping about play in their sliders and jumping ship to android sliders, in which slider play is fully accepted as a necessary and natural effect in all sliders. So at this point, "oreo effect" is what we call the play in a Pre's slider because "play" doesn't sound crushing or negative enough.