1.    #1  
    Hi,
    I'm still a Centro user (and long time Palm user) [love that desktop and SD card for backup].

But, I'd like to get an unlocked Veer - for travel (I'm on Sprint, right now). When I travel, often I cannot get a data plan - or it's wildly expensive for a pay as you go person - so my question is, can one use an unlocked Veer never having access to a data plan?

I must admit I don't get the Palm Profile - but it seem like webOS needs either a data connection and/or a provider to get set up or initialized.

And, is seems that some of my data "must" be in the cloud. And that data seems regularly to be sent to the cloud (like to google or whatever), as webOS wants to "synergize."

With the Veer, I'd would likely never have a data account with a carrier and while traveling (often to "far off places") I'd be thrilled just to have phone access (and then use the PIM data on my phone as I would need it) and of course wifi if I were even more lucky.

So, can I use an unlocked Veer just as a phone and, when lucky, get to the internet via wifi, never having told any carries that I have this smart phone?

Thanks.
    Technically, yes, you could permanently switch off the data radio and only ever use WiFi data on a Veer. Profile backups and everything would work over WiFi as well.

In practice, you'd most likely be forced to have a phone data connection for the initial setup of the phone, but if you're bent on doing it that way, you could just pay for the little data used during the initial setup. It's also possible to meta-doctor the phone into allowing you to do the initial setup over WiFi.

So yes, if this is what you want, it would definitely work one way or another
  3.    #3  
    Thanks. Turing off the data radio still lets me use the phone, right?

And, I can certainly pay 'something' to ATT for the first set up. But would that make it so I could only do data on ATT? So, like if I go to France, SFR has the Pre and I would get an SFR SIM card. By having initialized on ATT would that mean I could not use data on SFR?

And, to be clear, profile backups can go over the internet to an HP server somewhere? But, for example, I could not search my calendar unless I search it on google, right? (tell me I'm wrong).

I'm not trying to do something "technical" or being "bent" on doing something. An initial cost is no problem for me. I just want the flexibility to use the Veer (any day now, right? ) where ever I happen to be, using data when I can/need to, wifi if I can/need to and the phone wherever the SIM card allows.
    It depends on how often your phone will be connected to a WiFi network. At the moment I'm using my Palm Pre without a data plan as well (roaming in England). But I spent most of my time at the university or at home so it's usually connected to the internet.

Everything is synced via the internet, but you don't need a data connection constantly. When the calendar is synced you can access it's data without any internet connection, the same for mails, contacts and so forth.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    It depends on how often your phone will be connected to a WiFi network. At the moment I'm using my Palm Pre without a data plan as well (roaming in England). But I spent most of my time at the university or at home so it's usually connected to the internet.

Everything is synced via the internet, but you don't need a data connection constantly. When the calendar is synced you can access it's data without any internet connection, the same for mails, contacts and so forth.
    Thanks for the reply. While I understand (now) I can access my PIM stuff, I did read that I can't search "any" PIM - data connection or not: eg notes in contacts, memos, notes in the calendar -- ?? not sure what I can't do, but lots, I think. [One reason I'm using my Centro - I can search everything - its 10+ years of memory.] If I can search for PIM stuff I do not want to HAVE to have a data connection to do it. In fact, I don't want any of my PIM stuff in the cloud. I'll take my chances and rely on my own copies of things. [I'll be in London too later this year - what carrier are you using?]