Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Well, the Veer is GSM. And AT&T and T-Mo are the only two GSM carriers in the US that have any sort of foothold on a mass audience. And, of course, AT&T is probably going to succeed in buying T-Mobile.

So, if HP wants the Veer to work past 2012 (which is the soonest that AT&T could actually acquire T-Mobile and begin doing anything of significance with the bandwidth that it is going for), they would go for AT&T. If it was on T-Mobile, it would use bands that would, in due time, be powering AT&T's LTE network.

I don't like their (AT&T's) rates, either, but it does make sense. I'm wary of purchasing any 3G T-Mobile high-end smartphones right now. I just don't think they'll last because of this acquisition.
    palm wants to make money selling phones. one way to do that is by selling a type of phone that no one else is - veer
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    The things I see most talking about as negatives here revolve around charging (talking about the inductive port vs mini/micro usb), headphones and screen size. Let me hit all three...

Charging: Well, it comes with a touchstone back so the only "added cost" to the customer would be a touchstone (which is actually cool enough that most that haven't heard of it and are exposed to it WILL want/buy). As far as charging cables... uh, don't most phones come with their own charging cables? I know, I know, a lot now use a generic USB brick and connector but if you look in any carrier store over half the phones have their own proprietary charger. For most, this is a non-issue. And besides, the mag connector on the veer means you don't have to fumble around and insert anything on the phone, it will just "suck" itself on when the connector gets close (like the mac's mag safe connector).

Headphones: Yes, the adaptor is a bit silly, but as others have pointed out, you just stick it on your headphones of choice and leave it there and what's the problem? Again, mag sucking connector ftw! And maybe (knock wood) we won't see any issues with the devices being stuck in headset mode like we do on currently available ones.

Screen size (and keyboard size, while we're here): My son used a pixi and loved it. He never complained about the screen size (as a teen he can see everything and do anything, right?) or keyboard size. And the Veer's screen size is identical to pixi. The keyboard is also around the same size (its a bit more packed in because its a slider, but honestly not that different). Now, these screens aren't 4-5 inches like we're seeing on other phones on the market now, but they also aren't taking up the pocket real estate those phones do, either.

To close, I would agree with those that have said don't discount what you feel are the Veer's weaknesses until you've seen it/used it. Its actually a pretty nice phone, as speedy as Pre 2 (which everyone's said is pretty decent), and completely usable for most, especially those that will appreciate its size.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I just hope when the Veer comes out, that all the bugs have been ironed out of WebOS 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    The things I see most talking about as negatives here revolve around charging (talking about the inductive port vs mini/micro usb), headphones and screen size. Let me hit all three...

Charging: Well, it comes with a touchstone back so the only "added cost" to the customer would be a touchstone (which is actually cool enough that most that haven't heard of it and are exposed to it WILL want/buy). As far as charging cables... uh, don't most phones come with their own charging cables? I know, I know, a lot now use a generic USB brick and connector but if you look in any carrier store over half the phones have their own proprietary charger. For most, this is a non-issue. And besides, the mag connector on the veer means you don't have to fumble around and insert anything on the phone, it will just "suck" itself on when the connector gets close (like the mac's mag safe connector).

Headphones: Yes, the adaptor is a bit silly, but as others have pointed out, you just stick it on your headphones of choice and leave it there and what's the problem? Again, mag sucking connector ftw! And maybe (knock wood) we won't see any issues with the devices being stuck in headset mode like we do on currently available ones.

Screen size (and keyboard size, while we're here): My son used a pixi and loved it. He never complained about the screen size (as a teen he can see everything and do anything, right?) or keyboard size. And the Veer's screen size is identical to pixi. The keyboard is also around the same size (its a bit more packed in because its a slider, but honestly not that different). Now, these screens aren't 4-5 inches like we're seeing on other phones on the market now, but they also aren't taking up the pocket real estate those phones do, either.

To close, I would agree with those that have said don't discount what you feel are the Veer's weaknesses until you've seen it/used it. Its actually a pretty nice phone, as speedy as Pre 2 (which everyone's said is pretty decent), and completely usable for most, especially those that will appreciate its size.
    having typed on the Veer i can say confidently that the keyboard rocks.

as for screen size, if only they could implement the tezt zoom my evo had it wouldnt be as big of an issue. On the Evo, if you zoom in on text it keeps the width the same so you dont have to scroll left to right to read the whole sentence.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    if only they could implement the tezt zoom my evo had it wouldnt be as big of an issue. On the Evo, if you zoom in on text it keeps the width the same so you dont have to scroll left to right to read the whole sentence.
    Yeah, definitely a nice feature Android has that webOS doesn't. I just have to remind myself of the things webOS has that Android doesn't when I think about that feature lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    People still wear wired headphones in 2011?
    Yes...
    That's so 2010. Get with the times.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    I can say I definitely dont like the idea of carrying around an adapter to charge and use wired headphones.

BUT... I know that my young lady very much wants a Veer... for a few reasons. The first is that she is very small and petite... the vast majority of smartphones are too large for her to use one handed. That was why she wanted a pre in the first place... the veer is a bit smaller and will work even better for her. Secondly... its size is much more in line with a feature phone, making it more portable for her preferences, especially when we are out in town and she doesnt want to have to carry a large purse. Strangely enough... she likes the converter as well... stuff used to get stuck in the port holes of other phones all the time for her... lint in the 3.5 mm jack for instance... she likes the idea of the magnetic contacts...

Apparently... by her opinion... this phone would fill her needs/wants perfectly... even at the price of an AT&T plan... considering that the majority of her friends also want one... and most of my female coworkers are interested as well and actively watching for more information... it has to be a phone that people would have interest in... even if only a small segment of consumer base or a niche consumer base...

Are they right? Well... the phone is not for me... for lots of reasons.

But I wouldnt sit around and rant at them about it. Its good that there are a lot of choices... I would hate it if there were only 1 form factor of phone out there and nobody ever tried anything different. We would all still be using the gigantic handsets of the 80s, ya know?
  10.    #30  
    Then you can get the 2GB plan for $25 a month.
  11.    #31  
    The Veer isn't meant to compete with the EVO 3D's and ATRIX 4G's of the world. The Pre3, in a way, is. So, the Pre3 doesnt have a qHD display, 8MP camera, 1080p HD video, 1GB of RAM, dual-core CPU, etc, etc. Does that mean it's a "puny "censored" phone" no, it doesn't, it's a great device. The Veer is a great phone, I like it. If priced right, it isn't a fail. It's the follow to the pixi plus, not the flagship webOS device. I think the Pre3 is more of a fail than the Veer.
    Try to send out an invite to your friends or associates inviting them to the HP Veer launch, and they will receive:

an invite From: Your friends at HTC
    with this Subject: You're Invited to the HP Veer Launch Party Event - Los Angeles!
    looking just like this pushing photos of HTC Smartphones:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    wait....what?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by pezman726 View Post
    wait....what?!?!
    It's clearly a goof by the event marketing company Cvent. Doesn't exactly help HP gain any exposure for webOS or the Veer
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    if the veer was on sprint and I was sure that I'm getting a touch pad (hoping for my bday but can't see spending the cash on it right now) I'd be all over it. In this day and age bluetooth is the way to go for headphones for me. So much more convenient. As for the charger I'd use the touch stone 99% of the time so again the adapter doesn't affect me. As is I'm just praying sprint gets anything in the next couple months. :/
    So Barry, you signed up for the HP event and got that reply? Or is it that HTC is having an event on the same day?

<---confused
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    So Barry, you signed up for the HP event and got that reply? Or is it that HTC is having an event on the same day?

<---confused
    - I signed up for the event.

- Got a proper reply.

- Went back to the web site to forward invites to friends and associates.

- Friends and associates received an invite like the one attached

Looks like Cvent forgot to change the pics on their "forward an invitation" template (probably left over from the HTC event in NYC) and sent them on HP invitations being sent out by attendees already registered for the Veer launch.

This kind of gaff (on a larger scale) could actually hurt HP's marketing efforts for webOS and the Veer.

TTB
    I'm curious because i just saw an AT&T commercial. AT&T has a $49 iphone 3G. Veer is going to AT&T sort of as an entry level smartphone. How do you guys thing the Veer will do with that sort of competition on the same network? Will it have to be priced lower then $49 or even be free (doubt that would happen)?
    I see no reason why it shouldn't be free on contract. That might in fact be the entire purpose of the Veer: A free phone that's so small it looks like it could be a dumbphone, as a gateway to WebOS.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    seems like it would kinda be hard to just offer it for free? They'd have to eat a lot of it. I don't see AT&T just wanting to swallow the whole subsidy. But maybe.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast