Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is the veers camera capable of scanning barcodes provided that we have an app and api for it.
    I think that requires a camera that has an adjustable focus such as what will be in the Pre3. Everything else has the fixed focus camera similar to the Pre/Pre2/Pixi/etc that can't seem to handle that...
    @cantaffordit, your information is incorrect. The camera on my pre can process barcodes. Just download QRdecoder...

edit: the app does the processing in the cloud but uses the picture of the barcode taken with my pre. Cameras can't scan barcodes, they can simply take a picture for an app to process the information. Also, the Pre3 will have autofocus, not adjustable focus.
    Last edited by blue duck butter; 04/16/2011 at 12:38 PM.
    QR deCODEr is what its actually called and it is in preware
    I had an optimus which doesnt have autofocus and the bar code scanner apps worked fine

Ken
    yep, my Pre does barcodes just fine too with QR deCODEr
    Yeah it can be done without autofocus, it's just trickier. Having a camera API would probably go a long way to improve performance in either case.
    I've never had any problem using my Pre to process a barcode. It works the first time, every time.
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerman1 View Post
    I had an optimus which doesnt have autofocus and the bar code scanner apps worked fine

Ken
    This.

The 4th gen iTouch has a .3mp camera WITHOUT AF and it scans fine. Check vids for the app "red laser" to see it in action.

All we need is the API's now in 2.x and someone to write the app.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post

All we need is the API's now in 2.x and someone to write the app.
    Someone has already written the app. It's called QRdeCODEr and it's in Preware. Does nobody read the posts in a thread before they post their own comment anymore?
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    Someone has already written the app. It's called QRdeCODEr and it's in Preware. Does nobody read the posts in a thread before they post their own comment anymore?
    It's not the same thing. On the iPhone and Android the barcode is recognized automatically, there's no need to take a picture like needed with QRdeCODEr. You just point your device at the barcode and let it does its thing.
    I've never had any problem using my Pre to process a barcode. It works the first time, every time.
    I've tried that app several times and haven't gotten it to work, ever. Looks like I have myself a project for a rainy day. Would you care to provide a tip or two on how to get it to work? I did read the little tutorial, and I thought I followed the instructions but maybe there's some sort of trick?
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    It's not the same thing. On the iPhone and Android the barcode is recognized automatically, there's no need to take a picture like needed with QRdeCODEr. You just point your device at the barcode and let it does its thing.
    Any app in Android or iOS is still processing the image of the barcode to give the result. It is not scanning the barcode.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I've tried that app several times and haven't gotten it to work, ever. Looks like I have myself a project for a rainy day. Would you care to provide a tip or two on how to get it to work? I did read the little tutorial, and I thought I followed the instructions but maybe there's some sort of trick?
    What kind of barcode(s) were you trying to capture? I tried 3 or 4 different ones. One was on the screen of my laptop, a couple were on paper/cardboard at a store and another was a very small barcode as seen in this video:
    I just tried a normal "square" QR code....one of those codes that you find in a newspaper or magazine etc, that's supposed to give more info, or internet links etc... Maybe if I'm bored of watching the snow fall later, I'll try it
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    I've never gotten qr decoder to work either....hopefully an autofocus camera will help
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    It's not the same thing. On the iPhone and Android the barcode is recognized automatically, there's no need to take a picture like needed with QRdeCODEr.
    Because webOS 1.x is missing a camera API, the app has to take a picture first and send it to a server for processing. As far as I know, webOS 2 has that camera API.
    I have to confess that the barcode recognition in eyeOS is much better than webOS.
    It's fun to get the considered cheapest price of a product you scan in eyeOS but actually I don't need it.
    Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    QR codes are NOT the same as the barcodes found on product packaging at the store. If the OP meant "barcode", we don't have anything that can do this for webOS. If the OP meant "QR code", then yes, QR Decoder does a decent job.
    Any app in Android or iOS is still processing the image of the barcode to give the result. It is not scanning the barcode.
    No. Watch this for an example:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast