Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm somewhat taken aback by the webos community's feelings about the veer. Sure it is quite impresive to see web os snap aross it's screen so fast. My only issue is....who on earth would want this thing? I mean the issues everyone had with the pre was the small screen and keyboard so HP made them even smaller and more unusable? It just doesn't make sesnse to me why not take the more capable and usable palm pre 2 and brand that as your small phone? At least it has a headphone jack. Didn't microsoft sell only 10000 kins? Didn't reports recently show 4.3 inch screen phones sell like hotcakes?

cell phones used to be huge so smaller used to be a good word. It's gotten to a point where all modern phones are small enough.

someone help me understand!!!
  2. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spork141 View Post
    I'm somewhat taken aback by the webos community's feelings about the veer. Sure it is quite impresive to see web os snap aross it's screen so fast. My only issue is....who on earth would want this thing? I mean the issues everyone had with the pre was the small screen and keyboard so HP made them even smaller and more unusable? It just doesn't make sesnse to me why not take the more capable and usable palm pre 2 and brand that as your small phone? At least it has a headphone jack. Didn't microsoft sell only 10000 kins? Didn't reports recently show 4.3 inch screen phones sell like hotcakes?

cell phones used to be huge so smaller used to be a good word. It's gotten to a point where all modern phones are small enough.

someone help me understand!!!
    • There are some folks who prefer a smaller but feature rich phone.
    • There are other folks who wants a small phone along with a tablet.
    • And there are others who like the shape of it.

They might be minority, but as long as HP doesn't make them to stock, the supply and demand will match.
  3.    #3  
    I wanna meet the marketing guy who convinced a team of execs to back a phone with millions in research and dev because it might see "some" sales
    i don't know why HP chose the Veer as their first entry into the webOS reboot, but i do understand them wanting to have devices across multiple form factors. they do have to consider an approach that differs from the competition. As the smart phone market continues to grow, it might be a good idea to have attack different demographics. I could see the veering being a smart phone that parents would actually buy for their kids if HP gets the price right.
    @ Spork:

Maybe the marketing guy has some research to back the idea. Do you? It's not hard to see why people might like it. Just because it's not for you, don't assume there isn't a market for it unless you've got the data.
    the veer launch is going to be interesting!...i cant wait to see how hp is going to market this thing....
    The Veer seems like a good entry-level webOS device, maybe it is pointed at people who do not have a lot of money but want a smartphone with a intuitive OS on it. Or for people who want smaller phones, not everyone wants a 4.3" phone.
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
    Most Smart devices are way larger than phones from 10 years ago. They are bigger than Smart phones from 10 years ago. (Treo 270...) Evo, iphone, Pre 3 are big phones.
    I think the veer will do well for people who want functionality but don't want to carry around a big phone.
  9.    #9  
    Wow Henry, are you that marketing guy? Didnt know id rattle such a nerve...i thought we were all on the same team.

Anyway id agree that the Veer would be a great entry level device if the more capable and practical Pre 2 wasn't already free on most carriers.

I just dont understand how HP could market all these devices as primarily business phones in one breath and then expect you to edit a spreadsheet on a 2.6 inch screen in the next.

It feels like they are taking a shot in the dark...hoping this new form factor is a hit ... but i dont think they really have their message clear for who or what it is supposed to be for.
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spork141 View Post
    I wanna meet the marketing guy who convinced a team of execs to back a phone with millions in research and dev because it might see "some" sales
    First , the millions went into WebOS not to Veer. The millions spent are for anything from smartphone to printers with tablets and PCs in between.Veer doesn't eat millions compared to the touchpad or Pre3. Its not the marketing guy, its the product guys who gave the cost of this thing to convince HP execs.

Second point, not everyone wants to do an excel spreadsheet on the smartphone. Some of the existing dumbphone users want a smaller smartphone that is pocketable.

Third point, think about selling it outside US. HP can sell this thing fast in Brazil/Russia/India/China if they deploy the same marketing guys who convinced them to make one.

My only issue is the 3.5 mm jack. Why ? The targeted folks for this phone might not want to spend another 30 dollars on bluetooth headset.
  11.    #11  
    gbp I really think your wrong on the millions point. That propriatary heaset jack alone had to be developed patented and tested which prob cost a bunch...then global advertising in magazines web and tv? I could see millions in that. I got a quote today for the company I work ffor for 120k for a website...i can't imagine costs forr manufacturing and shipping thousands of phones worldwide.
    the veer's cute. that's how i got stuck owing a kitten. nuf said
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    i don't know why HP chose the Veer as their first entry into the webOS reboot
    I think I do. The Veer's screen is small and doesn't need that many pixels pushed. A relatively slow processor will, therefore, yield very respectable results on it. Meanwhile, the Pre3 and TouchPad are sporting processors that aren't even released yet - and I have a strong suspicion that the reason why the unnamed slab device (my money is on Myte) isn't even announced yet is because it's gonna have a processor / SoC that hasn't been announced yet either.

<edit> and by the way, for all you saying that the market shows that only big smartphones are popular: look at what the market offers. You currently can buy: huge, quick smartphones with good specs and features, and small, slow smartphones with not-so-good specs and features. You won't find a small, pretty, sleek Android phone that's also quick - and that's not even mentioning that a Motorola Cliq or Flipout won't be able to run most apps anyway.

You just can't argue that a market niche (small smartphones with the capabilities of bigger ones, but very small body size) is unpopular just because nobody has entered it yet. The same argument would have led, in 2007, to the prediction that the iPhone would bomb because smartphones were unpopular then.

The Veer won't outsell the iPhone, but it doesn't need to. It just sits in a small niche, which is cool because it's a small phone. That's one niche covered. The Pre 3 covers the niche of big phone with physical keyboard. We've now got proof that the niche of big phone without physical keyboard is about to be covered by HP as well. The smartphone market isn't as homogenous as some of you want to believe - it's just that most manufacturers are pouring all of their development money into ONE NICHE ('black slabs'), neglecting all other ones.
    That means that for most people, if they want a good phone, they are forced into buying black slabs because other form factors aren't given internals of the same quality. HP seems to have "veered" from that path, and seems to be set on staying on the path they're on now: giving people nice options in all form factors, and with a nice, unified UI to boot.
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 04/08/2011 at 05:19 AM.
    I would have to actually hold one make up my mind
    i need the veer. it s the perfect device i ve been waiting for.

probably a lot people bought the pre and not the iphone simply because it is smaller. if you ask me, put aside political feelings, i always disliked the form factor of iphone1,2g,4 and i alsways disliked all the me-too android phones.

so when the pre came out i thought: cool a phone that doesn t look like a wannabe tablet, but is capable of everything those offer, even more: it has a keyboard.

i think palm is very right to veer away from the slab. so i can get an even smaller pre that can do everything a smartphone can and the user interface is as simple usable as in good old i-can-talk-and-text-times.

i am european, i want small things that are cool. for every need i have a thing in the right size (my desktop workstation for example) but for the need of a tight cool mobile phone the veer is just perfect.

i don t think i am alone but it is true that most of people do what most others did before and get themselfes a slab and when they can afford it an iphone
    Quote Originally Posted by gnark View Post
    i am european, i want small things that are cool.
    You know what? I think you just helped me understand why, as a basic rule, people on this forum are obsessed with huge phones.

AMERICA

EUROPE

SEE ALSO
    thats exactly why i drive a smart roadster coupé

but thats still not a good sign for the veer (or other palm phones)... that car sold poorly even in europe
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    LOL

That is so right

I almost posted a comment on another post where a guy was complaining about phone size again. How the Pre was designed for women, you know with the small screen. I would guess he drives the truck and I won't comment on which woman is more likely similar to his wife - lol
    Dan
    fwiw....the veer and Pre3 aren't out yet...it would be nice if they were. I think if they were snappy, responsive, and didn't take forever to load, I'd be ok with either. BellMo hasn't made any indication that they will be carrying it yet, here's to hoping. I have an upgrade coming up that I can probably wait for, although a friend of mine got one of those Atrix and they are pretty sweet. The nav app, (don't know what it's called) is simply amazing. Nice turn-by-turn directions and street view the whole time you are driving. 16 months with my Pre now and starting to think about other options, but nowhere near the point of jumping ship yet. The apps on another platfrom definitly are enticing but the amount of time and effort I've put into learning this phone.....I'm not ready to throw that away and re-learn all over again, yet
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    You know what? I think you just helped me understand why, as a basic rule, people on this forum are obsessed with huge phones.
    The issue is targeted customers. From what it looks like, the Veer is a cheaper smartphone for existing dumbphone customers. Asking them to buy bluetooth is too much. A regular 3.5 mm jack would have made it a killer phone.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast