Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 80
  1. #41  
    True. It is not an issue right now. My upgrade doesn't come around until October. I hope by then I will be forced to choose between Pre2, Veer, & Pre3.

    I would switch to a Pre+ right now if I could find a deal for a brand new one like I did my Pixi+.
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    you only need 1 adapter... why would you need any more than that...?

    and how about not losing the adapter?
    How about not needing an adapter?...how about not putting the burden of keeping track of the adapter on the customer and making a smartphone that is piratical....what im saying is if they couldn't make a phone that small with a 3.5 inch jack then they shouldn't have made it at all....its called half-assing it
  3. #43  
    I don't think they were taking a short cut or "half-assing" it. I believe they were trying to create a unique device. That being a powerful smartphone that isn't any more cumbersome than most low end feature phones. I don't love the adapter, but it is a clever solution. And the Veer is truly a UNIQUE option for those who don't want a belt clip.
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by leebae View Post
    I don't think they were taking a short cut or "half-assing" it. I believe they were trying to create a unique device. That being a powerful smartphone that isn't any more cumbersome than most low end feature phones. I don't love the adapter, but it is a clever solution. And the Veer is truly a UNIQUE option for those who don't want a belt clip.
    I just don't get why everyione it touting the form factor as an advantage. Were talking about removing a half an inch from your pocket. It not like there's a significant difference btw pocketing the already compact pre 2. But for that insignificant pocket savings you lose a big amount of everything else. Including a 3.5 jack and usb.

    are we wearing this thing as a watch?
  5. #45  
    To answer the question of who wants it, my wife does. I don't know who else, because I don't make a habit of discussing phones with everybody I meet. But I bet HP marketing has those conversations. And I bet they've identified more potential buyers than just my wife. I don't personally see a need for an iPhone, but it sells just the same. Spork, if you can't figure it out, don't stress it - the phone isn't meant for you.
  6. #46  
    spork141, good point

    The size savings is insignificant in comparison to the Pre2. Guess that is why my choice is the Pre2.

    HenryAlan makes a great point. With all of HP's resources, I am confident they have done the research and are convinced of a viable market.
  7. #47  
    I don't think i'd want a pocket of little bits just to make my phone useable,
    however i may be totally wrong.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
    To answer the question of who wants it, my wife does. I don't know who else, because I don't make a habit of discussing phones with everybody I meet. But I bet HP marketing has those conversations. And I bet they've identified more potential buyers than just my wife. I don't personally see a need for an iPhone, but it sells just the same. Spork, if you can't figure it out, don't stress it - the phone isn't meant for you.
    Henry I know you keeps saying the veer isn't for me so I shouldn't worry about it..but it does efect me...it effecs all of us...i want to contine to own webos devices as long as I own a phone so we should all be concerned with HP being suuccesful...you know HP has a huge uphill battle so every choice is going to be critical...domt think HP won't go android or win7 in 2 years if webos tanks...HP doesn't NEED webos...HP is not going to treat it as it's lifeblood like Palm did
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by leebae View Post
    spork141, good point

    The size savings is insignificant in comparison to the Pre2. Guess that is why my choice is the Pre2.

    HenryAlan makes a great point. With all of HP's resources, I am confident they have done the research and are convinced of a viable market.
    Hp is in good shape and they do not need are help lol im sure they will be fine !

    Quote Originally Posted by spork141 View Post
    I just don't get why everyione it touting the form factor as an advantage. Were talking about removing a half an inch from your pocket. It not like there's a significant difference btw pocketing the already compact pre 2. But for that insignificant pocket savings you lose a big amount of everything else. Including a 3.5 jack and usb.

    are we wearing this thing as a watch?
    you have no clue because you have never used one , but i bet you would like it lol

    Quote Originally Posted by 5 sisters View Post
    I don't think i'd want a pocket of little bits just to make my phone useable,
    however i may be totally wrong.
    the veer is a solid phone
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  10. #50  
    The Veer's magnet charging connector / headphone adapter can be useful, the other day I was using my Pre 2 headphones when I had my laptop bag. On the bus when I sat down, I swung the bag on my lap and it pulled on one of the headphone cables and broke the left headphone (I had my Pre 2 in my hand). If I were using the Veer, the magnetic connector would have just popped off and all I'd have to do was put it back on, thus saving my headphones.

    This could have happened to any set of headphones, not just the Palm ones (which I like, they are not that bad).
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
  11. pigsflew's Avatar
    Posts
    46 Posts
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    #51  
    My take on it is that for us, more phones equals better. There are almost certainly people who don't want most modern smartphones because they simply are too large. If we can have a larger phone, and a smaller phone, we get two install bases that don't usually intersect.

    Remember all the hype about the Sony Ericsson X10 Mini Pro? The Kin One? My take is that the Veer is those phones, but done correctly. And it makes them look like bricks.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by pigsflew View Post
    My take on it is that for us, more phones equals better. There are almost certainly people who don't want most modern smartphones because they simply are too large. If we can have a larger phone, and a smaller phone, we get two install bases that don't usually intersect.

    Remember all the hype about the Sony Ericsson X10 Mini Pro? The Kin One? My take is that the Veer is those phones, but done correctly. And it makes them look like bricks.
    yes i agree 100% !!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by pigsflew View Post
    My take on it is that for us, more phones equals better. There are almost certainly people who don't want most modern smartphones because they simply are too large. If we can have a larger phone, and a smaller phone, we get two install bases that don't usually intersect.

    Remember all the hype about the Sony Ericsson X10 Mini Pro? The Kin One? My take is that the Veer is those phones, but done correctly. And it makes them look like bricks.
    To back up for a second pigs....i would think that most of the tech world would consider the Palm Pre, the Pre Plus, and the Pre 2 (why not), a failure. For many reasons they didn't save Palm, and they didn't sell well in a pretty young market (androids were only beginning to show up)......from the UX side, the main complaints were the keyboard and the screen size....both being difficult to deal with for many.

    So what im saying is how does the veer address these things? Palm has tried 3 times to get the worlds smallest smart phone into the masses pockets....and each time they failed....so why does the veer succeed with smaller keyboard, smaller screen, and now the headphone / USB issue?

    and for the record im not bashing Palm...their work has given me the best OS around and I am very grateful for that...and i know their "failure" is due to many other things....but i cant see where the veer fixes any of them.
  14. elslunko's Avatar
    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    #54  
    The biggest failure came in the form of marketing.

    Screen size wasn't that big of an issue. The pre - had a terrible keyboard though.
  15. i2y4n's Avatar
    Posts
    278 Posts
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    #55  
    I think that the Veer is a phone that must be seen and held in person to be fully appreciated.

    And I have to disagree with saying the Pre didn't sell well. It sold big initially, but all the hardware problems really killed the long-term sales. I saw a graph of phone sales in verizon and when the pre came out it rapidly took a major portion of their subscriber base. However many things contributed to the current "failure."
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    I dont get why people are so upset by it. It will come with the headphone adapter. And you can charge with the touchstone. At first i was taken back by the decision but after thinking about it it isnt that big of a deal.

    If HP includes a touchstone with the purchase of the phone, that will be a win for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    you only need 1 adapter... why would you need any more than that...?

    and how about not losing the adapter?
    How about just making a Pixi Deux? The only two things wrong with Pixi were... (1) not enough RAM (2) the name: Pixi.

    As long as a candybar form-factor is down the line that is EXACTLY like the Pixi, then I can understand, and even appreciate, a shorter screen.

    ... As for "not losing the adapter", how do you propose someone carry it? Dangling while attached to the phone or dangling elsewhere in my pocket? Do I need a pouch specifically for the adapter to understand and appreciate it? Might as well have a pouch with both 3.5mm and microUSB adapters, so that I can listen AND charge while at a friend's house. But wait... I won't be able to charge my phone at the library *and* listen to music at the same time. So then I guess I gotta leave the headphones in my room since I can't afford to let the phone die. What a drag. Guess I don't need the pouch after all... I just need to carry around the micro-usb adapter, BECAUSE I CAN'T CARRY AROUND A SPARE BATTERY.

    Are you starting to understand the frustration in such a device? I am. It's about LEAST amount of tradeoffs.

    Best trade-offs in a phone were Pixi & Pre. Now the only things left are the Pre 2, but that's still not as snappy as the Veer!!

    As someone else stated... I'll take the Veer if it's the only one offered on my carrier, but I'm not going to like it one bit!!! In fact, I'm going to despise HP for making so many different devices, and none of them being designed for me.
  17. #57  
    The Pixi had the superior outer hardware. Hopefully someone will be able to transplant the Veer guts into it, but it'll most likely be impossible.
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    ... As for "not losing the adapter", how do you propose someone carry it? Dangling while attached to the phone or dangling elsewhere in my pocket?
    In your pocket, alongside your change. Probably even magnetically stuck to some of your change, in fact.
    Do I need a pouch specifically for the adapter to understand and appreciate it?
    Don't appreciate the adapter, appreciate the Veer's size which is made possible by the adapter. Or don't. It's your prerogative.
    Might as well have a pouch with both 3.5mm and microUSB adapters, so that I can listen AND charge while at a friend's house. But wait... I won't be able to charge my phone at the library *and* listen to music at the same time.
    It's one adapter with USB and 3,5mm jacks so you'd be able to do that.
    So then I guess I gotta leave the headphones in my room since I can't afford to let the phone die. What a drag.
    Nah, see above. Headphones and charging works.
    Guess I don't need the pouch after all... I just need to carry around the micro-usb adapter, BECAUSE I CAN'T CARRY AROUND A SPARE BATTERY.
    Or you could buy a touchstone and bluetooth headphones, throw the adapter into the ocean and do away with cables entirely. Except the one on your touchstone.
    Are you starting to understand the frustration in such a device? I am. It's about LEAST amount of tradeoffs.
    The only tradeoff I see is the non-exchangable battery. But I've been using Touchstones and bluetooth headphones for a while now and wouldn't want to go back in any case.
    As someone else stated... I'll take the Veer if it's the only one offered on my carrier, but I'm not going to like it one bit!!!
    Yeah, you shouldn't get a Veer.
    In fact, I'm going to despise HP for making so many different devices, and none of them being designed for me.
    'Despise' is a mighty strong word mister, especially if you're despising a company for not building a device just for you and MOST ESPECIALLY if you have no idea what else that company is going to release over the course of this year, so maybe you shouldn't buy the Veer just because it's the first to arrive. HP have been talking about six devices this year. That's two touchpads (10", 7") and four phones. They've also said a new phone would launch every two months: that means Veer (May), Pre3 (July), "Myte?" / Slab (September), "Gyst?" / ??? (November). Maybe you should just wait instead of buying a phone you KNOW you'll hate because it just isn't for you.

    With all that being said I won't get the Veer either because it's missing a compass and I want one. The Veer is NOT a perfect phone. Neither is any other phone on the market. Like you said: it's all about trading off pros and cons... but different people have different priorities, and what appears as a con to some will actually be a nonissue or even a pro to others. That's the problem with catering to a heterogenous market, it's impossible to please everyone with the same product. I just don't think it's fair to talk the Veer down as much as some are.
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I just don't think it's fair to talk the Veer down as much as some are.
    it feels like going down on and talking down the veer was the entire intension of the OP. like a mantra repeating his opinion, asking the same questions over and over, claiming to ask for others opinions but in fact mainly ignoring anything not echoing his dogma.

    its like an argument along favourite colours or dishes.

    man i am so happy that hp chose to serve something else next to the standard food.

    as said i am convinced by the product and i consider myself as a target group. please respect that i just "like" it, and therefore will pay hp money for it, and there aint other reasons necessary, and i suspect me being not alone.

    but if you are interested, the tradeoffs of the product are just fine for me. i buy coolness and smallness by paying a little battery and screen size (and colour depth).

    i own a pre- since autumn 2009 and i didn t use my 3.5 jack a single time.

    so as said i get some sexyness on top for free.

    this being an individual opinion it is absolutely understood that other people have different approaches and should buy a different phone.

    but i am a pebble kind of guy but i dont go down on people that are into... say... ice scrapers?
  20.    #60  
    Actually gnark...im the original poster .... and the opinions you are responding to above are not just from me...they are people who agree with me.

    And to reply to your point.....Nobody has answered my question....why get a veer over a pre 2?.....is the half inch of space in your pocket more important than an almost comically small keyboard , screen, and now the adapter issue....

    Just so you know where i stand...I believe HP has clouded a lot of veer supporters good judgment...they told you this little phone was cool and powerful and you need it....and being the WebOs fans we are....have bought it......and this is what they are hoping others would do. in a few months the veer is going to go on those worst tech mistakes of 2011 lists....again this is my opinion

    SO back to my question....why the veer over pre 2?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions