Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    A regular 3.5 mm jack would have made it a killer phone.
    or by next year that magnet thing has become the regular headset jack to be seen on every laptop/netbook/tablet/smartphone ;D
    Quote Originally Posted by gnark View Post
    or by next year that magnet thing has become the regular headset jack to be seen on every laptop/netbook/tablet/smartphone ;D

HP isn't Apple. If Apple was replacing its proprietary dock connector with the Veer's magnetic thing - now THAT would be revolutionary indeed. It's MAGNETIC! Just like the Macbook Pro! And it would let Apple's awesome industrial design become even more awesome by allowing for phones without any holes whatsoever. My god. That'd be so fantastic.

Major car manufacturers would offer all of their models with optional magnetic dock connectors within months, if not weeks.

But yeah... HP isn't Apple. So it's just silly to go with something that's not a standard.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 04/08/2011 at 03:12 PM.
    thats it. the veer is not standard, but sexy

Last edited by gnark; 04/08/2011 at 11:07 AM. Reason: text refined
    a few things i'm wondering about this device:

-since it has a smaller battery than the pixi's and a much faster cpu, how is the battery going to hold up? especially if it's used alot as a mobile hotspot, which is one of the ways HPalm seems to be marketing this thing. as many of you already know, tethering kills your battery very quickly.

-who is HPalm trying to sell this to? i've shown a video of the veer in action (the engadget hands on) to about ten of my female coworkers. i also told them about all the other great features webOS has and all of them were very impressed but none of them said they'd be interested in buying the veer because it was way too small. (i know this is a very small sample size but to go 0 for 10 is never a good sign.)

-again, who is HPalm trying to sell this to? from what i see, in my neighborhood and riding the NYC subway, kids use their phones and ipod touches for texting and playing games alot. a kid looking to get a new device is not likely to get one with a tiny screen because it isn't ideal for playing games. and the keyboard might be viewed as too small and cramped for texting.

anyway, those are some things that i've been thinking about, regarding the veer. personally, i think its a 'cute' device but it's going to take more than that to be able to sell. and the lack of a 3.5mm headphone jack may potentially be a deal breaker for a lot of people. as for myself, the only way i'll be getting a veer is if it was given to me for free, off contract.
    The veer does look tiny. However, I don't question its effectiveness. I use a Palm Pixi Plus as my everyday phone. I have never really considered the screen size an issue. I admit I'm not an app addict or game guy. I utilize my phone for the basics (email, texts, calls, checkbook, PreCentral Forum, etc...). For these functions the screen size on my Pixi+ is fine.

I actually agree that the overall size of the Veer seems too small. Maybe even difficult to handle. On the other hand, the Pre3 seems too large. I have an upgrade due in a few months. My preference at the moment would be the Pre2.
    i know a lot phones that sell to less than 1 of 10 and still sell very well

i have a friend and coworker who is the only one i know besides me being into webos at all (ah there is a girl i know who had a pre but she didnt understand it at all and i dont think she even cared about pim and social networking online)

so this friend wants a pre3 and i a veer so its 1 of 2 that WILL buy it
    Personally, I don't want the 8 of 10 phone. I love webOs. I wouldn't trade it for any of the other platforms. If the Pre2 is not an option when I upgrade, the Veer will be by next phone.
  8.    #28  
    Thank you Emceesquared.... thats why I started this post and nobody has been able to answer it....I don't doubt the Veer is a capable phone....but who WANTS a miniature smart phone....I wouldn't be asking this question if the Pre 2 wasn't already the smallest smartphone on the market and FREE on contract....but the Veer is taking the concept of a small and powerful phone to a ridiculous limit.

So i ask everyone .... why would you take a Veer over a Pre 2? This is what I'm dying to know
    because ist cool, powerful, sexy and smaller than the 2
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    My guess? Because AT&T said "no thanks" to a bunch of designs and when they said "well how about this super-tiny one?" AT&T said "eh, sure, thats different, maybe someone would want that instead of an iPhone or Atrix. You make that one and we'll let you sell it".
  11.    #31  
    At some point....common sense has to prevail over an open mind

Look at these images....its SO small that its close to comical....it looks photo shopped....how could someone type on that? how could someone play a game of angry birds or edit a spreadsheet?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I would not take a Veer over a Pre2.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leebae View Post
    I would not take a Veer over a Pre2.
    Neither would I.

But it could be nice to have both, assuming you're on GSM to swap a SIM and you actually could use one profile on 2 devices.

Hey, I know! They should give them away with any new iPhone or Android device as a "weekender" phone and a way to get people hooked on webOS
    That might work.

I like the idea of having both a Veer and a Pre2 or 3. Unfortunately, that is not option with Verizon (no sim card). I really do love my Pixi+ but I'm excited about getting my Pre2 or if not available a Veer.

To answer the original question "why would you take a Veer over a Pre 2?"
    Answer: I wouldn't. But I would over a Pre3.
  15.    #35  
    Thats a fair answer leebae...although i think the pre 3 is going to be the perfection in terms of smart phones....and i still think the veer will be close to unusable.....i can at least recognize the differences between the veer and pre 3......over the veer and pre 2
  16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spork141 View Post
    Thats a fair answer leebae...although i think the pre 3 is going to be the perfection in terms of smart phones....and i still think the veer will be close to unusable.....i can at least recognize the differences between the veer and pre 3......over the veer and pre 2
    Apart from my 3.5 mm audio issue, i don't like the battery size on this. Put a 1500 mAh battery on this one , I might buy it.There are these people who don't want to charge their phones often, they might buy it.
    @GodShapedHole, very nicely put.

Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    The issue is targeted customers. From what it looks like, the Veer is a cheaper smartphone for existing dumbphone customers. Asking them to buy bluetooth is too much. A regular 3.5 mm jack would have made it a killer phone.
    I dont get why people are so upset by it. It will come with the headphone adapter. And you can charge with the touchstone. At first i was taken back by the decision but after thinking about it it isnt that big of a deal.

If HP includes a touchstone with the purchase of the phone, that will be a win for them.
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    @GodShapedHole, very nicely put.

I dont get why people are so upset by it. It will come with the headphone adapter. And you can charge with the touchstone. At first i was taken back by the decision but after thinking about it it isnt that big of a deal.

If HP includes a touchstone with the purchase of the phone, that will be a win for them.
    Because what if you lose the adapter? What if you have a pair of headphones at work and a pair at home....you now have to buy 2 adapters....and what do you gain for this privilage? a smaller screen and a smaller keyboard. If you couldnt pull off the Veer without compromising the basic features of the phone...then why do it at all.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leebae View Post
    That might work.

I like the idea of having both a Veer and a Pre2 or 3. Unfortunately, that is not option with Verizon (no sim card). I really do love my Pixi+ but I'm excited about getting my Pre2 or if not available a Veer.

To answer the original question "why would you take a Veer over a Pre 2?"
    Answer: I wouldn't. But I would over a Pre3.
    well you cant get a veer on Verizon anyway, so you dont have to worry.
    Quote Originally Posted by spork141 View Post
    Because what if you lose the adapter? What if you have a pair of headphones at work and a pair at home....you now have to buy 2 adapters....and what do you gain for this privilage? a smaller screen and a smaller keyboard. If you couldnt pull off the Veer without compromising the basic features of the phone...then why do it at all.
    you only need 1 adapter... why would you need any more than that...?

and how about not losing the adapter?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast