Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1.    #1  
    Edited to fix broken URL: http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/02/q...ompetition-in/

    This benchmark overview was originally made to showcase a new 1.5 GHz Snapdragon processor, but it's interesting - even if you don't want to use it to gauge roughly how quick the Pre 3 at 1.4 GHz is gonna be - because it lists the T-Mobile G2, which uses the exact same chipset as the Veer and gets 17.3 points, more than twice as many as perennial PreCentral android user favorite HTC Evo (7.5) and nearly three times as many as the iPhone 4 (5.9). In fact, the Veer will likely have a better score than the G2 because it has a lower native resolution; I wouldn't be surprised if its score was around that of the Motorola Atrix (18.7), but we won't know that for sure until we get real benchmarks of the Veer itself.

    Not bad for a phone smaller than a deck of cards if you ask me. If you're considering a Veer but are scared it might be slow or choppy, it looks like you've got nothing to fear
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 04/02/2011 at 01:05 PM.
  2. #2  
    It would be more surprising if the Veer came out at the same time the Evo and iPhone4 did. Those phones have been out for close to a year now. You should be comparing it to iPhone5 and Evo 3D.
  3.    #3  
    Haven't you heard? It's a "post-pc" world where specs don't matter and only experience does. The Veer seems like it'll be a very quick and smooth experience indeed, and will make the iPhone 5 and Evo 3D look like dinosaurs because of the size difference.

    Even if that weren't true, the Veer doesn't play in the same market as the iPhone 5 (which we're hearing won't be out before fall) and Evo 3D (whose "summer" release was met with less angst and fewer tantrums than the Pre3's "summer" release). Those will be flagship products if and when they get released; the Veer won't. They won't be out until much later in the year; the Veer is confirmed to hit no later than next month.

    How about we compare the iPhone 5 and the Evo 3D to the Pre 3 - or whatever HP's flagship phone will be when Apple and HTC get around to releasing their devices... or even to announce a release date.

    (Also, strangely, it was never wrong to compare the Evo to the Pre which came out a year earlier. Hmmm.)
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 04/02/2011 at 01:22 PM.
  4. #4  
    We'll see what phone will be using this:
    Qualcomm's 1.5GHz dual-core MSM8660 destroys the competition in majestic benchmark run -- Engadget

    EDIT: Or is it the Pre 3?
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by speedskate View Post
    It would be more surprising if the Veer came out at the same time the Evo and iPhone4 did. Those phones have been out for close to a year now. You should be comparing it to iPhone5 and Evo 3D.
    You're dismissing the fact that the Veer IS an improvement over the iPhone 4 and EVO and in a smaller package. If it's even close to performing as well as the 3D and iPhone 5 when they are released, that would still make it a fantastically powerful device for such small size. Your argument would be more valid if, say, the Pre 3 doesn't perform as the competition does.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    .
    .
    ~ Follow me on Twitter ~
  6. #6  
    Could someone post where I it is confirmed that the Veer uses this processor, dual core?
  7. #7  
    HP Veer | webOS Smartphone

    Its listed in the specs. It's not dual core, its a fast little single core though.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by chilin View Post
    Could someone post where I it is confirmed that the Veer uses this processor, dual core?
    It doesn't. Read again.

    The Veer does NOT use the dual-core MSM8660 (38.4). Nothing does. It uses the MSM7230, just like the T-Mobile G2 which is part of the benchmark.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    It doesn't. Read again.

    The Veer does NOT use the dual-core MSM8660 (38.4). Nothing does. It uses the MSM7230, just like the T-Mobile G2 which is part of the benchmark.
    Nothing uses it currently, but the touchpad will use the APQ8060 which is the same chip only without the cell radio built in. And the Evo 3D will use the MSM8660.
  10.    #10  
    As far as I know, the Evo3D will use the "regular" MSM8660 clocked at 1.2GHz as opposed to 1.5GHz in this benchmark, though. And obviously it won't be plugged in directly to a wall like Qualcomm's demonstration unit 'Monster 8660'.

    But it's cool to know the TouchPad uses the same SoC minus the cell radio, thanks for the info
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    Webos in general is slow. Look at the original pre, it has the same cpu as iphone 3gs but iphone flies while the pre takes forever to load everything. Also look at the android phones. They load things instantly without loading.
    1. The Pre's CPU isn't the same as the one of the iPhone 3GS, it is the same as the Droid and Nokia N900.
    2. Obviously webOS 3.0 is more optimized than webOS 1.0.
    3. webOS common apps take more time to load because they are not compiled, they are HTML+JSJSJS+$CSS$ $apps$.
    4. Being fair, compare a PDK app to an iOS or Android app and you will find that they are as fast as those from iOS/Android.
    5. The new Veer and Pre 3 have way faster proccessors than those you find on the Pixi or Pre, ergo, they load apps faster.
  12.    #12  
    5. The Pre 2 is already "loading things instantly without loading"

    6. The Pre Minus, overclocked, already handles a lot of things instantaneously or very nearly so.
  13. keeb119's Avatar
    Posts
    114 Posts
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    Webos 3 more optimized? From what they showed of the touchpad it seems to be just as slow at loading as the original pre.
    i wouldnt take the ones form the show floor as a final build. im sure there are improvements to be made. if it was a 3 month ahead preview of the ipad 2, im sure it wouldnt be as smooth as the ipad with the final build for it. just sayin.
    samsung i730 - blackberry storm- palm pre plus - samsung omnia - palm pre plus - palm pre 2 - ????

    i refuse to buy anything apple with there asinine standards, especially when theres a perfectly good standard that everybody else is using. bah.
  14. R_E
    R_E is offline
    R_E's Avatar
    Posts
    341 Posts
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    #14  
    Do you all realize this is a GPU benchmark? This benchmark says nothing about the performance of the phone in non gaming situations. Also as for the comparison to the iphone4, the review notes that the program runs in native resolution, so the iphone4 is pushing almost twice the pixels of the G2 (with that said, the iphone4's gpu is last gen and relatively crappy). The evo would be a better comparison.

    Bottom line is the cpu is what is important for most things. That and os optimization and programming
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    Webos 3 more optimized? From what they showed of the touchpad it seems to be just as slow at loading as the original pre.
    Did you not see the Veer being demoed? It is the most market ready device from HP and will be 1st to be released. Does it appear choppy, slow rendering, etc? I am sure it will be speeding right along at supersonic speeds and responsiveness when we get in in hand.

    So rather than harping on the original Pre, Pre+, or even the Pre 2, what ya think about the Veer demos, and I am sure when the Pre 3 is market ready, it will speed along as well.
  16. #16  
    I'm a little late to this party, but I'm sure you all know that these benchmark tests are for DUAL CORE.
    The pre 3 and the veer processors will already be outdated by the time they are released with their single core processor.
  17. #17  
    Do you know even iphone 3GS is faster than iphone-4
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Do you know even iphone 3GS is faster than iphone-4
    In the GPU test iphone 3GS is using the same GPU to handle 1/4th the number of pixels that is why it is faster than iphone 4. In this benchmark a veer would surpass a tmobile G2 for the same reason even though they are both the same CPU/GPU.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Do you know even iphone 3GS is faster than iphone-4
    That's why every time I've picked up an iPhone 4 it's been choppy and unresponsive!

    No but seriously folks, this is good news. I only hope the Pre 3 has similarly impressive stats when they get down to benchmarking it.
  20. #20  
    The OP article is about the OpenGL ES 2.0 graphics test and is referencing the EVO 3D in the conclusion: "If you're wondering when this world-beating dual-core chip will be coming to market, the answer is that it's already inside HTC's imminently upcoming EVO 3D and Pyramid devices, albeit running at a tamer 1.2GHz. Exciting, eh?"

    The Sprint EVO 3D is spec'ed with a Qualcomm MSM8660 1.2 GHz Dual Core processor. The Veer is has a Qualcomm MSM7230 800Mhz single core. The carrier is not yet known.

    The 1.2 GHz dual core EVO 3D processor has been benchmarked and, as you might guess, is faster than the 800 GHz single core. But the Veer with a 4.2 in³ body size is a closer competitor to the 4.99 in³ Atrix.

    We will have to wait and see where the Veer is released and how it benchmarks. Exciting times!

    See the Atrix, Thunderbolt and EVO 3D vs. HP Pre 3 and Veer comparison.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 04/04/2011 at 10:46 PM.

Posting Permissions