Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39
  1.    #1  
    I love all the hate for the Veer. People think the big trend right now are the giant screened slabs. When someone tries to do something different, it's "Stupid" and "ridiculous".

    Can you imagine if Apple were making a Veer-like phone? Can you imagine all the nerd-gadget-press swooning about how "innovative" it is? Can you imagine how insanely trendy such a phone would be 6 months after release? Can you imagine how many miniature smartphones HTC would be pumping out each month 6 months later?

    Just sayin....

    It never ceases to amaze me how nearly everything Apple does was already done before and wasn't that popular before.
  2. #2  
    dude you are 100% right. I am very excited about this phone!
  3. #3  
    it could be the iPhone Nano, or iPhone-Mini. It would be a huge success for them.
  4. #4  
    Yup. 100% true.
  5. #5  
    it would definitely have more fans than the veer does now.

    not to say that some of the same critics wouldn't be critical, just not those fervrent apple fan pre-adolecent males.
  6. #6  
    It is interesting did you bring this up. Apple has been rumored to be coming out with an iPhone Nano since 2008. The latest is that it will be the iPhone 4 with the top and bottom bezels reduced. So it would be absolutely tiny.

    Historically Mini and Nano type products have always done very well. They are not for everyone but they have always had a strong market.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by youresoscrewed View Post
    Your point is well taken. However, one cannot argue with success. Apple wins on more than hardware design alone.

    Related to that, it goes completely counter to Apple's industrial design marching orders to produce a vertical slider with a 2.6" screen (320X400 ... Seriously??) whose UI is all touch-based. So, in essence, your insight is a comparison of Apples and Oranges, from every angle. Sorry.
    I doubt we will see an iphone with a real keyboard either.

    However, in pretend land, if Apple surprised everyone and DID launch a Veer - it would be a major trend that everyone would be copying and it would sell like hotcakes.

    That isn't because it would be better than the Veer. That is because it would be made by Apple.
  8. #8  
    This is true. Never doubt the power of marketing, and the dedication of brand-loyal fan pre-adolescent males. If Apple released an all-white shelving unit and called it the iRack, it would sell like hotcakes.

    Touchscreens are a fad.
  9. anifan's Avatar
    Posts
    187 Posts
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    #9  
    320*400 isn't bad at all for a 2.6 inch screen. It's around 200 PPI, which is better than the Pre.
  10. #10  
    Even more hilarious are the people so resentful of a successful company that they will resort to the most transparent truth-spinning to diminish that company's achievements.

    Would an Apple-made Veer do better than HP's will? Yes. Is part of the reason for that Apple's incredible marketing prowess and legions of fan(boy)s? Yes.

    Is another (huge) reason the fact that Apple makes absolutely outstanding hardware and software, and couples that with some of the best customer service and attention to detail you'll find anywhere in the industry? Yes.

    But don't tell the fruit-haters.
  11. #11  
    The simple fact that an Apple Veer would be part of the iOS ecosystem is the key difference. The hardware angle isn't that relevant. Along with apple's knack for marketing.

    Let's reverse this though. Would the HP iphone 4 be successful? Along with the vast number of webOS apps, people would get in lines right? Remember this is an "iphone 4" that's running webOS. No facetime app. No itunes. No airplay. Etc. Just a quiet hush hush release on one foreign carrier. No marketing. No hype. Coming in later months to verizon..maybe.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Even more hilarious are the people so resentful of a successful company that they will resort to the most transparent truth-spinning to diminish that company's achievements.
    Do not mistake truthful observations for resentment. If anything, they are a compliment to the success of Apple. They have succeeded to the point of being able to slap an "i" in front of anything and make it sell. That does not mean that whatever they put that "i" in front of is automatically crap. However, it does mean that even if it is crap, or even if it is just mediocre, it will still likely outsell competing devices that are arguably superior. If there is indeed any resentment among the competition, that is likely the source.

    Personally I find brand loyalty to any brand--that means Apple, Palm and HP--to be a disease of stupidity. Loyalty only benefits the companies people are loyal to, not the consumers.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Do not mistake truthful observations for resentment. If anything, they are a compliment to the success of Apple. They have succeeded to the point of being able to slap an "i" in front of anything and make it sell. That does not mean that whatever they put that "i" in front of is automatically crap. However, it does mean that even if it is crap, or even if it is just mediocre, it will still likely outsell competing devices that are arguably superior. If there is indeed any resentment among the competition, that is likely the source.

    Personally I find brand loyalty to any brand--that means Apple, Palm and HP--to be a disease of stupidity. Loyalty only benefits the companies people are loyal to, not the consumers.
    I disagree with you on several points.

    While there will always be fans who "buy everything" (here too...) the vast majority of Apple buyers don't buy *just* because its an iProduct, they buy because what that represents.

    Few manufacturers do a better job of saying what they are going to deliver, and then delivering on that date than Apple. While no one is perfect, there are few examples where buyers feel Apple totally over-promised.

    They just trust that its going to be what they say it is.

    Compare that HP.... They will have fans waiting to buy IN SPITE of them never hitting their deadlines or delivering a substandard product.

    Brand Loyalty is not "stupid" - its a reward for a company who does what they say.

    What is "stupid" is being loyal DESPITE that.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    That does not mean that whatever they put that "i" in front of is automatically crap. However, it does mean that even if it is crap, or even if it is just mediocre, it will still likely outsell competing devices that are arguably superior. If there is indeed any resentment among the competition, that is likely the source.
    I'd agree that that's a possibility, but the problem is that I can't call to mind more than a handful of examples of Apple delivering something that could be considered "crap," or even mediocre. Of course, examples of iterative improvements that failed to wow the tech crowd -like the iPhone 3Gs, Apple TV, iPad2 countless MacBook refreshes- could be called "mediocre" in that they're not ground-breaking, but they still offer a superior experience, by and large, than most (all, in the case of iPad) of their contemporaries.

    And I wouldn't underestimate the role of press overexposure in fueling the resentment most fans of other platforms have toward Apple. Most of us are prone to hostility if we've heard too much about a given story. Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez are still paying for this with their careers. So where some have said, "if Apple crapped out 1990 pocket calculator and charged $500, people would buy it" (or words to that effect), my response is: "Even if Apple released a 100% bug-free product that made everyone's life effortless and charged nothing for it ... people would find a way to hate it."


    Personally I find brand loyalty to any brand--that means Apple, Palm and HP--to be a disease of stupidity. Loyalty only benefits the companies people are loyal to, not the consumers.
    It would be my argument that loyalty is often stupidity, but is also often the prize earned by a company that has delivered what it promised to its customers.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Do not mistake truthful observations for resentment. If anything, they are a compliment to the success of Apple. They have succeeded to the point of being able to slap an "i" in front of anything and make it sell. That does not mean that whatever they put that "i" in front of is automatically crap. However, it does mean that even if it is crap, or even if it is just mediocre, it will still likely outsell competing devices that are arguably superior. If there is indeed any resentment among the competition, that is likely the source.

    Personally I find brand loyalty to any brand--that means Apple, Palm and HP--to be a disease of stupidity. Loyalty only benefits the companies people are loyal to, not the consumers.
    I would also add that brand loyalty has a benefit for the user: more seamless integration between products belonging to the same eco-system. One of the reasons I am waiting for the TP rather than getting an ipad2 now is that I want to make sure my phone and pad work as flawlessly as possible.
  16. #16  
    Actually you are agreeing with me, just stating it in a different manner. As I said, Apple has succeeded to the point of being able to slap an "i" in front of anything and make it sell. But they got there by doing just as you said, by delivering consistently high quality products, on time.

    However that does mean that people will blindly buy their products without considering others, even if there is a known issue with their products. i.e. faulty antennas, light bleeding/yellow screens, etc. Google "MacBook Pro freezing" for the latest example.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  17. #17  
    BTW lest I am giving the wrong impression, while I do not own any Apple products, I recommend the iPad to anyone currently looking for a tablet. At $349 for a factory refurb, it's impossible to beat. Being a refurb, if it had an issue to begin with, it's now likely fixed. I have no use for a tablet (any tablet) myself.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  18. #18  
    Sure, I'd agree with that. There's always going to be the fringe component in any customer base (on both sides - unreasonable love and unreasonable hate). It's the latter that is most evident on forums such as these.

    EDIT: the former (unreasonable love) is also in evidence here, of course. Many of us consistently act like we have Munchausen's syndrome, making all sorts of excuses for HP, Palm, etc., and practically throwing a party for every minor software/hardware refresh. It's special here, in that I think a lot of us think we're in on a really well-kept secret. There's an OS with amazing potential, out there in the market right now, and because it's so unpopular, it's almost an elite club. A club for people who know they're having more fun with their phones.

    Maybe I'm just high. I dunno.
  19. #19  
    Possibly, but to the OP's original statement, if Apple had released a device identical to the Veer, I don't think anyone would doubt that it would sell like crazy.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Possibly, but to the OP's original statement, if Apple had released a device identical to the Veer, I don't think anyone would doubt that it would sell like crazy.
    What's pertinent is the "why"?

    it's not just because it would be an Apple device, but because most people realized Apple doesn't deliver crappy products that are missing promised features.

    Whereas another manufacturer's customers may wait to read reviews, see what their friends think, get their hands on one personally, see what the customer service issues are, etc.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions