Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    I was just curious about the Veer and if it offered anything the Pre 3 didnt other than of course its compactness. Is the only difference between the two devices the size?
    Pre 3 is superior to the Veer in almost every way.
    Pre3 - 3.5mm jack. Removeable battery.

Then just the obvious like size, processor, memory, etc.

But with the speed the Veer performs at, does any of that matter? As much as I think it would be cool to own the Veer, without that 3.5mm jack, I don't know if I could do it. And it would strain my eyes trying to read articles. But if there was a way to easily switch between the two, the Veer would be so awesome to take when I go out partying. I'd use the strap to tie it to my belt loop, and never lose that little thing nor worry about a strange bulge in my pocket (hence why I'll never get the Evopad.)
    Screen resolution, front facing camera, bigger keyboard, bigger screen, 1.4 ghz processor.. Lol C'mon now.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    It may be cheaper?
    irrdsr likes this.
    size could be considered an advantage to the veer. if you have a touchpad why do you need a huge phone to with it? Touchpad heavy use, veer your phone and quick on the go type activities.
    Quote Originally Posted by FliedLice View Post
    Pre3 - 3.5mm jack. Removeable battery.

Then just the obvious like size, processor, memory, etc.

But with the speed the Veer performs at, does any of that matter? As much as I think it would be cool to own the Veer, without that 3.5mm jack, I don't know if I could do it. And it would strain my eyes trying to read articles. But if there was a way to easily switch between the two, the Veer would be so awesome to take when I go out partying. I'd use the strap to tie it to my belt loop, and never lose that little thing nor worry about a strange bulge in my pocket (hence why I'll never get the Evopad.)
    i dont understand why people say the veer will strain their eyes. Its not like the text will be any smaller than on the Pre's.... You'll just have to scroll more often...
    I don't think that the two are supposed to be competing with themselves for market share - they are, IMO, meant to appeal to different users.

The Pre 3 will be a high end smartphone, meant to compete with the best of the best in smartphones in both power and functionality. With that 1.4 ghz processor and GPU, the 3.6" 800 x 480 screen, dual noise canceling mics and front and read cameras, it should still be state of the art when it debuts this summer - and if it performs as well as it is spec'ed out, then it is a true option for those looking for a leading edge hardware keyboard smartphone.

The Veer, I believe, is meant as a transitional device for the predomination of world users who still have yet to jump ship and get a smartphone. I will bet that HP has done some studies that show that one of the main reasons that current dumbphone users don't switch is because of the physical size of the smartphones they see - and they really would like something that can fit into the palm of their hands - in that regard, the Veer is uniquely positioned - better than anything else currently available, because it will have the Pixi sized screen, but also that slide-out hardware keyboard for real texting capabilities.

Those people who have those size issues will likely see the Veer as "perfect", IMO. The size will be very similar to their old dumphones, but, now they get real smartphone capabilities, AND the keyboard in that same formfactor. For those who think the screen is too "small", remember, the dumphone screens today have much smaller and way lower resolution screens, and telephone pads for typing text messages - the Veer will add screen size and clarity with the 2.6", 320 x 400 dispay - a HUGE improvement over what they have had to deal with to date.

Now, I'm not claiming instant success for the Veer prematurely here, but, honestly, I thought it was sheer genius to introduce this formfactor, because, I never paid much attention to it, but I have heard SO many people talk about the size issue regarding smartphones - they want and need something that fits easily into thier pocket or their hands, and isnt obtrusive.

I guess we'll see soon enough, but, again, these two really aren't competing with eachother in the slightest.
    Last edited by LCGuy; 03/24/2011 at 07:16 AM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by tsubasa92 View Post
    I was just curious about the Veer and if it offered anything the Pre 3 didnt other than of course its compactness. Is the only difference between the two devices the size?
    Release date is sooner.
    wouldn't be surprised if the veer outperforms the pre3 in speed. the veer's processor/gpu doesn't have to render as many pixels or colors as the pre3. that cute little device might end up running circles around the pre3.
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    wouldn't be surprised if the veer outperforms the pre3 in speed. the veer's processor/gpu doesn't have to render as many pixels or colors as the pre3. that cute little device might end up running circles around the pre3.
    Kinda cold comfort though. Nobody that would be anal about "speed" on a cell phone would ever be interested in one as small as the veer.

Someone interested in the veer is interested in a *very* small smartphone.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post
    size could be considered an advantage to the veer. if you have a touchpad why do you need a huge phone to with it? Touchpad heavy use, veer your phone and quick on the go type activities.
    exactly. Veer will be cheaper then pre3 used for main phone for those that have a pad.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post
    This makes all the sense in th world, and is why I would've bought a Veer to go with a TouchPad...

However the touch to share feature doesn't work with the Veer, and I'm unsure if the whole text forwarding and such is supposed to work with it as well.
  14.    #14  
    If the touch to share feature isnt supported with the Veer, that kinda takes away the appeal of having it to go with the pad. But I do see how a smaller phone would go well with owning the pad.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I believe the Veer does have touch to share. It is mentioned on couple of videos.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeromem75 View Post
    I believe the Veer does have touch to share. It is mentioned on couple of videos.
    The website for the TouchPad says that the Veer can take advantage of TTS:

8. Requires HP TouchPad with webOS 3.0 and Pre3 or Veer with webOS 2.2 or higher, both products having the same HP webOS account. Viewing URL web page content requires data connection via Wi-Fi or cellular connection.

Text/Phone however requires the Pre 3 according to the website:

11. Pre3 and TouchPad must have same HP webOS account.

Hopefully Rubinstein will be asked to elaborate/clarify on the Engadget show. I feel like HP crammed so much into their February event that simple information like this was overlooked.

Edit: Also interesting: When clicking on the Veer on Palm's website it doesn't show TTS, but the clicking on the Pre 3 does...
    I don't know about you guys, but there are a lot of times I'd have just my phone and not be toting a tablet, etc.

Owning a TP or not would have no bearing on which phone I would prefer.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    This makes all the sense in th world, and is why I would've bought a Veer to go with a TouchPad...

However the touch to share feature doesn't work with the Veer, and I'm unsure if the whole text forwarding and such is supposed to work with it as well.
    The text and call forwarding magic is all done over blutooth... No reason it wouldnt work w/ the veer...

Unless the veer doesnt have blutooth...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    The text and call forwarding magic is all done over blutooth... No reason it wouldnt work w/ the veer...

Unless the veer doesnt have blutooth...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Then there'd be no reason for it to not work on all other webOS devices, but there is no mention of it working with the Veer or Pre 2. Hopefully this will be clarified as the release of the TP comes closer.

I think this would help sales of the Pre 2 if it will be compatible with some of these features.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Being tiny is quite nice. Initial greater PDK compatibility. Literally no chance of being stuck in headset mode.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast