Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by anifan View Post
    The lack of a headset jack is less than ideal, but it does make getting stuck in headphone mode impossible.
    6 Pre's and I've never gotten stuck, and phones go in and out of the jack everyday.

It's enough to keep up with my headphones, I can't be assed to keep up with a tiny magnetic adapter as well.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  2. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    I don't understand why people insisting on this audio jack and charging port not included being a negative thing. The phone is Touchstone compatible. The phone will probably have better battery time than it's larger family. You will probably have a Touchstone at home and the office anyways that you can drop it onto for charging. So you probably won't ever use the magnetic plug in thing anyways.
    The phone is bluetooth compatible, so you more than likely will never use the 3.5mm audio jack either.

Edit: The lack of camera flash remains the only negative for me.
    @gbp: I had a huge laugh picturing keeping 'my friend' supplied with batteries for his 'flash'.
    Yup, chargers for the flash :-).

I see your point of using the stone., The issue here with touchstone and bluetooth is not money (though money adds too) , but remembering to carry these things along with the phone. If they had a micro USB port built into the body, most of the folks can borrow the other micro USB chargers from their friends and be done with juicing up. Almost all of the currently sold smartphones have microUSB port built in ( the blackberrys, droids, evos......).
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Yup, chargers for the flash :-).

I see your point of using the stone., The issue here with touchstone and bluetooth is not money (though money adds too) , but remembering to carry these things along with the phone. If they had a micro USB port built into the body, most of the folks can borrow the other micro USB chargers from their friends and be done with juicing up. Almost all of the currently sold smartphones have microUSB port built in ( the blackberrys, droids, evos......).
    ahhh...and here we come to the crux of the matter: How many of those 'blackberries, droids, evos...' are as tiny as the pre?
    NNJ
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    ahhh...and here we come to the crux of the matter: How many of those 'blackberries, droids, evos...' are as tiny as the pre?
    I am itching to see how small the Veer is compared the Evos and BBs,

I wish they increased the battery capacity so that it will last a day or two.
    Sorry, after initial reaction to your message I have to reassess my response.
    Seems as though you have no problems with a lot of wires and connectors running around all over, so I don't understand your making a fuss of the magnetic adapter.
    I love wires and connectors. I hate ADAPTERS!!

Not only do I HATE adapters, I have absolute contempt for adapters that connect to things as UNIVERSAL as 3.5 mm jacks and micro-USB connectors.

If you're suggesting I leave the adapter on one set of headphones... what happens when I'm not around them and would prefer to use the auxillary jack on my buddy's car stereo? Or would just like to plug it into my own 5.1 home audio system?

You expect me to buy 10 magnetic adapters, so that I'm always prepared?? THAT!

My understanding is the magnetic adapter has USB allowing for USB charging. So it will plug in just fine at your friend's house.
    That's it in a nutshell. Will I want to carry a magnetic adapter with me? NOOOOO!! Will I need to?? No telling, but it's gonna tick me off just thinking about it EVERY SINGLE DAY. It's already done it to the point where there's absolutely no interest in the phone, while there was plenty before I heard about these two magnetic adapters.

That vacation story and your unable find space for your Touchstone, but able to pack a few phones and charger really true?
    Honestly, I could have smashed it in there.. but why? The pack was ridiculously tight w/ the laptop, which I later had to leave behind with my "chauffeur" to the airport, because I'd forgotten my laptop's charger and didn't expect to have any FreeTether action going due to my remote location, based on experiences over the past several years.

Chances of me NEEDING "the puck" are virtually ZERO. Chances of me LOSING/FORGETTING "the puck" are much greater than ZERO. At the beginning of the trip, I was using my Pixi as a phone, my Pre as a gaming device, and my 755p as a backup device. I actually had my VZ Pixi "new in box" mailed with the laptop, because I thought I'd try to do the comm board swap to add wifi, but I don't think it'd be wise to do that on this trip, plus I dunno if I have the proper torx driver.

Anyway, now I'm just using my Pre as a cellular router and I'm not moving it from the one spot/angle it's in for the next two weeks. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

Why bring Apple into this at all?
    Because they would NEVER release a phone without a 3.5 mm jack built in.

They'd never even consider the ridiculousness of having an iPod Nano or iPod Touch w/ a magnetic 3.5mm adapter, and you know it!

Edit: How is one able to use a phone (not 'tethered to a desk using a Touchstone) that is tethered to a wall outlet via charging cable 'freely'?
    When it's hooked up to the cable, I can lie on my bed, sit in my chair... all with functionality unhindered. You can play HAWX, Asphalt5, Glyder2, etc. all with a Pre that just died... ONLY if you have that cable right by. Otherwise you have to put it on the Touchstone. You can still disconnect your cable from your Touchstone, which is what I've done the vast majority of the times anyway... hence, my feelings toward the superfluous Touchstone. Good if you have a set schedule and have Touchstones all over. Not so good if you're on the move and away from home/work more than you are there.

Seems like every day my phone is dying while I'm at a different friend's house. Will I actually have that magnetic adapter with me even 10% of those days?? Doubtful.

MORAL OF THE STORY --- I'm not even capable of bringing a unique laptop charger with me on a 3 to 4 week vacation. What makes you think I'll be able to carry around Not One, but TWO Magnetic ADAPTERS with Me EVERY single Day??

Clearly the idea is that we're supposed to buy 10 of each and spread them around to all the areas we frequent, similar to how some people do with Touchstones... but that's a no go with me, sorry.

Pre 2 is looking better and better every day.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post

Not only do I HATE adapters, I have absolute contempt for adapters that connect to things as UNIVERSAL as 3.5 mm jacks and micro-USB connectors.

If you're suggesting I leave the adapter on one set of headphones... what happens when I'm not around them and would prefer to use the auxillary jack on my buddy's car stereo? Or would just like to plug it into my own 5.1 home audio system?

That's it in a nutshell. Will I want to carry a magnetic adapter with me? NOOOOO!! Will I need to?? No telling, but it's gonna tick me off just thinking about it EVERY SINGLE DAY. It's already done it to the point where there's absolutely no interest in the phone, while there was plenty before I heard about these two magnetic adapters.

Honestly, I could have smashed it in there.. but why? The pack was ridiculously tight w/ the laptop, which I later had to leave behind with my "chauffeur" to the airport, because I'd forgotten my laptop's charger and didn't expect to have any FreeTether action going due to my remote location, based on experiences over the past several years.

Chances of me NEEDING "the puck" are virtually ZERO. Chances of me LOSING/FORGETTING "the puck" are much greater than ZERO. At the beginning of the trip, I was using my Pixi as a phone, my Pre as a gaming device, and my 755p as a backup device. I actually had my VZ Pixi "new in box" mailed with the laptop, because I thought I'd try to do the comm board swap to add wifi, but I don't think it'd be wise to do that on this trip, plus I dunno if I have the proper torx driver.

Anyway, now I'm just using my Pre as a cellular router and I'm not moving it from the one spot/angle it's in for the next two weeks. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

They'd never even consider the ridiculousness of having an iPod Nano or iPod Touch w/ a magnetic 3.5mm adapter, and you know it!

When it's hooked up to the cable, I can lie on my bed, sit in my chair... all with functionality unhindered. You can play HAWX, Asphalt5, Glyder2, etc. all with a Pre that just died... ONLY if you have that cable right by. Otherwise you have to put it on the Touchstone. You can still disconnect your cable from your Touchstone, which is what I've done the vast majority of the times anyway... hence, my feelings toward the superfluous Touchstone. Good if you have a set schedule and have Touchstones all over. Not so good if you're on the move and away from home/work more than you are there.

Seems like every day my phone is dying while I'm at a different friend's house. Will I actually have that magnetic adapter with me even 10% of those days?? Doubtful.

MORAL OF THE STORY --- I'm not even capable of bringing a unique laptop charger with me on a 3 to 4 week vacation. What makes you think I'll be able to carry around Not One, but TWO Magnetic ADAPTERS with Me EVERY single Day??

Clearly the idea is that we're supposed to buy 10 of each and spread them around to all the areas we frequent, similar to how some people do with Touchstones... but that's a no go with me, sorry.

Seems to me that you know quite what you want in a phone, and the Veer is not for you.
    I think we stray from the OP's question.
    I think the tininess of the phone is a definite advantage. Unfortunately, I find myself in situations where I need a camera flash on my phone, so that's the only negative for me.
    I haven't reached the point where my phone battery dies on me and I'll catch a heart attack because I can't wait an hour or two to get to a charger, so magnetic thingy is not a minus for me.
    NNJ
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts

I travel for a living & have no problem. I have a small side pocket in my bag, that has my MacBook Pro charger, my Pre charger & my Kindle charger. I did a 30 day test on the Evo & brought that charger along as well. I usually have nothing or maybe 1 thing plugged in (if I am in a car). Most airports are adding tables or stands w/outlets if needed &, of course, a hotel designed after about 1965 has plenty of outlets if needed.

I don't expect everyone to be like me, but that pocket is empty anyway. I have no problems carrying my chargers there, none whatsoever. BTW, I also carry earbuds & Bose Noise Reduction head phones. To each their own.

I think the Veer is a great design. I prefer the Pre 3, but I have no problems w/the Veer.

just a point of reference, the original iPhone required either an adapter or 'made for iPhone' headphones because of the recessed headphone jack and they caught a lot of flack for it.
    I'm just mad that I'm gonna have to get a Pre 2 when I really wanted to like the Veer.

Too many negatives.

The only thing it has is speed. You can see that from all the videos. But the Pixi/Veer resolutions are only pumping out 400x320 pixels, no?

So, the Atrix's 960x540 resolution = 518400
    Pixi/Veer resolutions = 128000

Atrix has more than 4 times the pixels to push. I think the Veer might run slightly faster "most of the time", but I dunno.

I'm still intrigued to the point where I'm not gonna get a Pre2 just yet, tho. Just piissin' me off is what they're doing with these choices. I might just get a Kyocera Echo in a couple weeks and be done with it.
    I think I really just want a Pixi 2, as awesome as the sliders are.

I think I'm just upset that the Pixi design is perfect, even tho I like both designs.

I just am always throwing up the W T Fart? arms...
    I just wish they had never compromised the screen resolution of the Pixi.

80 measly pixels. Just a half inch more! two years ago, and we would never have had this problem.

There's no reason the Pixi couldn't be a half-inch longer and still be a solid-slab compact alternative to the Pre. It could've been perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by twilightomni View Post
    I just wish they had never compromised the screen resolution of the Pixi.

80 measly pixels. Just a half inch more! two years ago, and we would never have had this problem.

There's no reason the Pixi couldn't be a half-inch longer and still be a solid-slab compact alternative to the Pre. It could've been perfect.
    I think the idea was that it's a typical 480x320 screen, and the 80 pixels are for the "capacitive" gesture area. Just an economical reason, but it's OK because the resolution still works out for everything (excluding some games, but that's a developer issue) and not having to redraw the 80x320 pixels is what makes the phone snappier than the Pre (until it comes to swapping memory).

I think the Pixi is damn near perfect... just needs 512MB ram. THAT'S IT!

Gimme a Pixi w/ 512 MB Ram and better speakers [all while not managing to botch the 3.5 mm and USB jacks ], and you'd have a customer for life. Oh.. and you've gotta make it for Sprint, of course.
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Gimme a Pixi w/ 512 MB Ram and better speakers [all while not managing to botch the 3.5 mm and USB jacks ], and you'd have a customer for life. Oh.. and you've gotta make it for Sprint, of course.
    I would upgrade the screen size and processor.

Pixi with a 3.5 inch display and 1 G Hz processor would be my phone.
    Make the Pixi longer with a full resolution screen. The RAM would be nice, but not necessary.

What keeps me from loving my Pixi isn't that it's slow or doesn't have enough RAM. It's that the screen is so darn tiny, and by the time you have the dashbar open with notifications, you have to scroll through your emails three at a time.

I'm glad the apps are good at resizing, but this seemed like such an arbitrary compromise.

In other words, with a full-screen, there would be no reason to use a Pre on Sprint. The Pixi would hands down be the better built and better-use phone. (Besides the Wifi for speed, of course).
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I would upgrade the screen size and processor.

Pixi with a 3.5 inch display and 1 G Hz processor would be my phone.
    If you make the screen bigger, what happens to the keyboard?
    NNJ
    the phone would end up being too long IMO.
  17. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    If you make the screen bigger, what happens to the keyboard?
    Technically it is possible. Move the speaker up and cut the space between the screen and top of the phone.

Same holds good for Veer, Veer screen can be stretched a bit more. That would make it even better.
  18. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    the phone would end up being too long IMO.
    Nope ,
    Just for comparison

HTC Evo is 4.8 x 2.6 x 0.5

and Pixi is 4.37 X 2.17 X 0.43

If they can add .2 inch to the length and may be .25 inch to the width it is possible.
  19. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Does anyone notice the difference between Veer back cover and Pre 3 's ?

Since Veer has fixed battery I think it will have a tighter back cover than Pre 3. Which means when it falls it might stay put unlike the pre, which ends up breaking the cover.
    For those requesting an additional 80 pixels or .2 inches or whatever...

Who makes a 560x320 screen with those dimensions.

There lies the rub. You can only design a device if you can get the components at a reasonable price.

... And it *will* be interesting to see what the Veer will need to do in order to restart after those "once a year" freezes where everything locks up and a battery pull is required. Will be VERY interesting!
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast